New Person Here

O

Origen

Just thought I would say hello. It seems like the polite thing to do.

OCTOBER23

Origen - Many posters have been here for over 8 years and we have discussed

almost all the Topics under the SON so what new things can you bring to the table ?

O

Origen

so what do you know about origen?
Quite a bit, but if you are asking me if I am an origenist, I'm not. I just admire the man for the breadth of his knowledge.

Origen was a textual scholar, theologian, exegete, and philosoher. It is not an exaggertion to claim that Origen was one of the greatest scholars (of his time). He is considered by many to be the first Christian scholar. Origen was the first textual scholar and therein lies, in my opinion, his importance.

However, I do not accept his three levels of meaning (i.e. literal, moral, and spiritual) and the allegorical interpretations. Nevertheless his intellect cannot be denied.

Last edited:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Quite a bit, but if you are asking me if I am an origenist, I'm not. I just admire the man for the breadth of his knowledge.

Origen was a textual scholar, theologian, exegete, and philosoher. It is not an exaggertion to claim that Origen was one of the greatest scholar (of his time). He is considered by many to be the first Christian scholar. Origen was the first textual scholar and therein lies, in my opinion, his importance.

However, I do not accept his three levels of meaning (i.e. literal, moral, and spiritual) and the allegorical interpretations. Nevertheless his intellect cannot be denied.

Welcome, Origen.

(In the yellow)That's a relief, however there are plenty of posters here that do and I expect that a lot of them don't even know where their hermeneutic origeninated(TIC).

O

Origen

Origen - Many posters have been here for over 8 years and we have discussed

almost all the Topics under the SON so what new things can you bring to the table ?
Well we will just have to wait and see. I am not sure if it is even possible.

"What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun."

O

Origen

Welcome, Origen.

(In the yellow)That's a relief, however there are plenty of posters here that do and I expect that a lot of them don't even know where their hermeneutic origeninated(TIC).
I believe that the historical-grammatical method is by the far a superior method. As one scholar has put it: "God chose people to write the biblical text, and people write using grammar, in styles understood by their peers, and with deliberate intent."

Thus the literary genres and languages used by the authors of the Bible have to be understood in their historical, cultural, and theological context not ours. Their perspectives on these things are what matter.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I expect that a lot of them don't even know where their hermeneutic origeninated(TIC).

That's pretty funny coming from a Dispensationalist.

Do you have any idea how many Dispensationalists on TOL have, or had no idea who John Nelson Darby even was?

BTW....Welcome to TOL Origen

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
I believe that the historical-grammatical method is by the far a superior method. As one scholar has put it: "God chose people to write the biblical text, and people write using grammar, in styles understood by their peers, and with deliberate intent."

Thus the literary genres and languages used by the authors of the Bible have to be understood in their historical, cultural, and theological context not ours. Their perspectives on these things are what matter.

:thumb:

Amen!

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber

Origen was a textual scholar, theologian, exegete, and philosoher. It is not an exaggertion to claim that Origen was one of the greatest scholars (of his time). He is considered by many to be the first Christian scholar. Origen was the first textual scholar and therein lies, in my opinion, his importance.

You mean you do not accept his scripture twisting...good for you.

He is the daddy of all scripture twisters.

Apart from that :wave: hi welcome :)

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
hi-hello-6.gif

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber

Bet you didn't know his other name was Al.