New member saying hi.

sydneys

Hi, I'm a newbie. I'm a Humanist atheist who takes great interest in all religions and related issues. Recent global events involving religious conflict have inspired me to get involved with discussions, if the discussers will have me. The registration page does give the option of 'atheist', so I am led to assume that atheists can be involved here. I'm from the UK. I appreciate that 'atheist' is still a bit of a dirty word in some other parts of the world. I only wish to be constructive and respectful towards others' beliefs - so I hope that this can be reciprocated.

Thanks for having me - see you on the threads!
:wave2:

oldhermit

Welcome to TOL. You will find a number of athiests on this forum. Keep you conversation on a professional level and you will do fine.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hi, I'm a newbie.
Now there's a turn-up! :D
I'm a Humanist atheist
Why the tautology?
Recent global events involving religious conflict have inspired me to get involved with discussions, if the discussers will have me.
Only if you can best our giant and our Spaniard.
The registration page does give the option of 'atheist'
Government regulations.
so I am led to assume that atheists can be involved here.
As long as you realise you were never evolved here. :e4e:
I'm from the UK.
Humanist atheist? We knew.
I appreciate that 'atheist' is still a bit of a dirty word in some other parts of the world.
Actually, it's more of a punchline around here. Like: Why did the :chicken: cross the road? To mock the atheist on the other side, of course! :duh:

:mock: Atheists.
I only wish to be constructive and respectful towards others' beliefs - so I hope that this can be reciprocated.
Constructive? Go get a job! Respectful? Why?

Thanks for having me - see you on the threads!:wave2:
Tell us when you realise you've been had. :)

Seeya. :wave:

Spitfire

The registration page does give the option of 'atheist', so I am led to assume that atheists can be involved here.
Atheists usually do fine here unless they come here with all sorts grandiose ideas about how they're going to set everyone straight and teach everyone else how to see... and... THINK! As if none of us were already the slightest bit familiar with the arguments atheists make and the reasons why they don't believe. Those tend to flame out pretty hard when things don't go at all as they planned. :p

sydneys

Well, thanks for a variety of welcomes. If that's a fairly true representation of how people deal with other people around here then that's a pretty good comment on the forum's collective character. I can only assume that Stripe has used the 30,000 posts amassed so far in conversation with those who are more theologically aligned. Otherwise that's one big old truckload of spleen being vented at those with different opinions! Ah well, all good responses nevertheless. Thanks everyone.

oldhermit

Well, thanks for a variety of welcomes. If that's a fairly true representation of how people deal with other people around here then that's a pretty good comment on the forum's collective character. I can only assume that Stripe has used the 30,000 posts amassed so far in conversation with those who are more theologically aligned. Otherwise that's one big old truckload of spleen being vented at those with different opinions! Ah well, all good responses nevertheless. Thanks everyone.

Stripe spends a great deal of time debating athiests in the hard sciences. You will find him to be quit an intelligent and very well educated individual.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:rotfl:

What is it with atheists accusing people of being angry?

Stripe spends a great deal of time debating athiests in the hard sciences. You will find him to be quit an intelligent and very well educated individual.
Quit? :noid:

And I'm not all that smart. I just have good sources. :)

Thunder's Muse

:chuckle:

You will do fine, here :)

sydneys

Yes, I did suggest anger didn't i? On reflection there was no direct reason why I should have. But it's interesting that you have heard similar from other atheists. Do many atheists encounter angry reactions from religious people? I can't imagine that to be a widespread problem but it sounds like you've probably more experience of atheistic opinions than I have. I wonder if perhaps it's that some atheists assume (perhaps incorrectly - and I do not necessarily subscribe to this) that a large number of religious people are living under a doctrine of guilt or shame, which they may transpose onto others. Maybe not. Just a thought - bit deep for the 'hi' thread I guess, but nice to hear from so many people anyway. Thanks again.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes, I did suggest anger didn't i? On reflection there was no direct reason why I should have. But it's interesting that you have heard similar from other atheists. Do many atheists encounter angry reactions from religious people? I can't imagine that to be a widespread problem but it sounds like you've probably more experience of atheistic opinions than I have. I wonder if perhaps it's that some atheists assume (perhaps incorrectly - and I do not necessarily subscribe to this) that a large number of religious people are living under a doctrine of guilt or shame, which they may transpose onto others. Maybe not. Just a thought - bit deep for the 'hi' thread I guess, but nice to hear from so many people anyway. Thanks again.
:darwinsm:

You jump to the wrong conclusion and somehow I've still got a problem?

TheologyOnline.com - Where no thread goes to waste.

We are, secretly, all dedicated conservationists, not wishing that any electron be burnt up wastefully. ;)

Last edited:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hi, I'm a newbie. I'm a Humanist atheist who takes great interest in all religions and related issues. Recent global events involving religious conflict have inspired me to get involved with discussions, if the discussers will have me. The registration page does give the option of 'atheist', so I am led to assume that atheists can be involved here. I'm from the UK. I appreciate that 'atheist' is still a bit of a dirty word in some other parts of the world. I only wish to be constructive and respectful towards others' beliefs - so I hope that this can be reciprocated.

You'll find this blanket statement does not apply to all religious people or even Christians. I detect a bit of spleen in this post.

Wile E. Coyote

Greetings and welcome to TOL.

keypurr

Welcome, Join in and enjoy the talk.