New Homeschooler

docrob57

This year we are going to start homeschooling our 5 year old. She will be entering kindergarten, and we are using the A Beka curriculum. Any suggestions are welcome!

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Wow, that's great, docrob!

I've used a Beka for many years. Great choice!

monochrome

docrob57 said:
This year we are going to start homeschooling our 5 year old. She will be entering kindergarten, and we are using the A Beka curriculum. Any suggestions are welcome!

My only suggestion is to pray that your child is nothing like me. I was also raised on the A Beka curriculum, from 4th through 8th grade. I had a habit of... 'increasing my odds of success' by finding the answer books and 'transcribing' the parts I needed for tests.

Of course, you could just lock those up...

- m -

docrob57

monochrome said:
My only suggestion is to pray that your child is nothing like me. I was also raised on the A Beka curriculum, from 4th through 8th grade. I had a habit of... 'increasing my odds of success' by finding the answer books and 'transcribing' the parts I needed for tests.

Of course, you could just lock those up...

- m -

Thanks for the tip!

allsmiles

no curriculum tips.

i would caution against HSing her for too late into her life, i was homeschooled until my freshman year of high school and i can tell you as a 22 year old looking back, i'm lacking in a lot of very fundamental social skills, i struggle against that handi-cap on an almost day to day basis.

i loved being homschooled and being around my family so much growing up, but it gets to a point where the nest should be left, if for no other reasons than social survival later in life.

erinmarie

docrob57 said:

We were trying to decide what to so with our five year old this year. In PA the homeschooling rules are pretty strict, except that you're not obligated to start a curriculum till age 8. So we're unsure whether we should start in full force now, or just let her take it easy one more year. :think:

Nineveh

Merely Christian
We have used ABeka for 2nd, 3rd and 4th so far. We are getting ready for 5th in a couple of weeks. No problems so far :)

docrob57

erinmarie said:
We were trying to decide what to so with our five year old this year. In PA the homeschooling rules are pretty strict, except that you're not obligated to start a curriculum till age 8. So we're unsure whether we should start in full force now, or just let her take it easy one more year. :think:

The age 8 requirement is here to. For us, public schools are not an option. Our daughter went to a Christian school for pre-K, which was pretty good, but they are switching to a new, sort of "dumbed down curriculum, so we decided to make the switch.

docrob57

Nineveh said:
We have used ABeka for 2nd, 3rd and 4th so far. We are getting ready for 5th in a couple of weeks. No problems so far :)

Thanks. In our town there is a group of homeschoolers who get together for things like art and music. Do you do anything like that?

Nineveh

Merely Christian
docrob57 said:
Thanks. In our town there is a group of homeschoolers who get together for things like art and music. Do you do anything like that?

Yes there is a group, we haven't joined it yet though :eek:

We've been contemplating piano lessons. The only thing we lack is a teacher taking on new students :(

monochrome

allsmiles said:
i would caution against HSing her for too late into her life, i was homeschooled until my freshman year of high school and i can tell you as a 22 year old looking back, i'm lacking in a lot of very fundamental social skills, i struggle against that handi-cap on an almost day to day basis.

I was wondering why you are so completely intollerable :)

docrob57

Nineveh said:
Yes there is a group, we haven't joined it yet though :eek:

We've been contemplating piano lessons. The only thing we lack is a teacher taking on new students :(

We would also lack a piano! :)

docrob57

allsmiles said:
no curriculum tips.

Gee, I never would have noticed!! :)

i loved being homschooled and being around my family so much growing up, but it gets to a point where the nest should be left, if for no other reasons than social survival later in life

Thanks for the input!

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
docrob57 said:

Congrats on the decision to homeschool, docrob! You couldn't have made a better decision for your child. :thumb:

Don't listen to the naysayers on this thread. You decide how long you're going to homeschool based on your children and your local public and private schools. Being involved with a homeschool group helps with social issues (if you're worried about them).

I've been homeschooling :jessilu: off and on (mostly on) since second grade. She's going to be a sophomore in high school this year. The only breaks we've taken from homeschooling were right after Steve passed away for a semester of fourth grade; and then again for a semester of 6th grade when I taught Spanish for my church's private school. I've noticed with :jessilu: and most other homeschoolers that they can socialize with any age group with respect as opposed to most public school students socializing with their age group only.

docrob57

ebenz47037 said:
Congrats on the decision to homeschool, docrob! You couldn't have made a better decision for your child. :thumb:

Don't listen to the naysayers on this thread. You decide how long you're going to homeschool based on your children and your local public and private schools. Being involved with a homeschool group helps with social issues (if you're worried about them).

I've been homeschooling :jessilu: off and on (mostly on) since second grade. She's going to be a sophomore in high school this year. The only breaks we've taken from homeschooling were right after Steve passed away for a semester of fourth grade; and then again for a semester of 6th grade when I taught Spanish for my church's private school. I've noticed with :jessilu: and most other homeschoolers that they can socialize with any age group with respect as opposed to most public school students socializing with their age group only.

Thanks for the good words, we are very excited about it.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
docrob57 said:
Thanks for the good words, we are very excited about it.

You're quite welcome. I've loved homeschooling. I wouldn't switch our experiences for anything in the world. :) I've even enjoyed the experiences I've had to deal with anti-homeschoolers. My own family have been my biggest obstacle to homeschooling, until four years ago when I had :jessilu: tested to see where she was on each subject. She scored so high above the national average that if she were in public school, they'd end up moving her up a couple of grades.

To me, the socialization issues are a minor thing compare to educating my child. School is for learning. Socialization will come later. She learns socialization through going to church, being friends with several neighborhood kids, and going horseback riding. I've watched her interact with little children, her own age group, adults my age, and my elders. Don't let someone tell you that homeschooling is bad for socialization. That can be true for some, but the majority of homeschoolers do not isolate their kids.

docrob57

ebenz47037 said:
You're quite welcome. I've loved homeschooling. I wouldn't switch our experiences for anything in the world. :) I've even enjoyed the experiences I've had to deal with anti-homeschoolers. My own family have been my biggest obstacle to homeschooling, until four years ago when I had :jessilu: tested to see where she was on each subject. She scored so high above the national average that if she were in public school, they'd end up moving her up a couple of grades.

To me, the socialization issues are a minor thing compare to educating my child. School is for learning. Socialization will come later. She learns socialization through going to church, being friends with several neighborhood kids, and going horseback riding. I've watched her interact with little children, her own age group, adults my age, and my elders. Don't let someone tell you that homeschooling is bad for socialization. That can be true for some, but the majority of homeschoolers do not isolate their kids.

I agree. First, my daughter is going to be attending classes 2 or 3 days a week with other homeschoolers, many she already knows. And combined with Wednesday and Sunday church activities she will have plenty of social opportunity. And she is NOT shy!