Need Advice - Reading curriculum

Scott

Hi all. My wife and I just finished a book with our oldest son: Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons. Excellent book - also covers writing. At the end of the book, however, it lists recommended readings, and says that "if your child has successfully completed this book, then s/he is reading at a second grade level." I emailed the author of the book and asked her for follow up curriculum ideas. She said she couldn't recommend any but to simply check out the recommended tests and use the principles taught in her book. We've done that. Our son is reading Level 2 books from the Library... with some help on harder words, but he's doing fine.

He's now 4 years and 4 months old, and we're starting to gather homeschooling curriculum. We're interested in continuing more advanced Phonics, language arts, writing, spelling, vocabulary, etc. We don't want to keep switching from program to program. Can somebody suggest a high quality curriculum? I've explored some, but they either A) only last till 3rd grade (Saxon), or B) don't have a broad enouph scope. Please help.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Re: Need Advice - Reading curriculum

Originally posted by Scott
Can somebody suggest a high quality curriculum? I've explored some, but they either A) only last till 3rd grade (Saxon), or B) don't have a broad enouph scope. Please help.

Scott,

I've used Bob Jones curriculum since my daughter was in third grade. She's now in eighth/ninth grade. They have a website here. They're a little pricey, but you can buy them used here. Alpha & Omega may be good if you want to go with all workbooks or all computer. I don't know what exactly you want. So, I can't help too much here. But, let me know if you need to know anything about Bob Jones curriculum.

Scott

Thanks Ebenz. I'll check it out.

Originally posted by Zakath
Helpl me out here, Scott.

What do "level 2" books consist of?

I've seen the readers at the library categorized (in upper right hand corner of cover page) as level's 1 through 3. I don't think they strictly coorespond to grade levels, but they recommend level's 1 and 2 for kids in first through second grade who have already learned the basics of reading. Level 1 are basic one chapter books. Level 2 has different Chapters and some more advanced vocab. I haven't looked at the Level 3's yet. My wife would probably be able to give a better description than this.

I don't remember titles except for Brown Bear, and some book about a Pig??? Funny huh! There are shelves of these books in most children's section's in Public Libraries.