Mystery holes in Siberia - a theory

nikolai_42

I'm assuming many here have already seen one or another news report about the holes appearing in Siberia. Here's just one version of it:

New Theory Behind Dozen Mystery Holes

I don't really buy the man-made global warming line, but when a story comes up that advances that agenda, it's all over the place (and this is no exception). So I was wondering what alternatives there are to the popular theory and I'm wondering if it's possible that the scientific foundation is more or less correct (i.e. explosive release of gas) but the cause of that (global warming) is just political speak.

Regardless of the truth of global warming (or not), I have been reading a little - a dangerous thing - and there are a few similarities to the appearance of these holes and the formation of volcanoes. There are instances of volcanoes appearing - almost without notice - in a matter of weeks. And in those instances, almost unnoticeable depressions in the earth open up into holes - eventually forming elevations of 10-100m (in a matter of weeks or months). In one case that I read of, it became a 3000m elevation in less than a decade.

So is there anything in this case that clearly militates against these being nascent volcanoes?