JAGG

Here is my interpretation of , , ,
"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"__The Lord Jesus

"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son
that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have Eternal Life."

The Lord Jesus was made a sin offering.
He bore the penalty of the "perish" of John 3:16

During the time the Lord Jesus hung on the Cross His Father temporarily forsook
His Son while His Son was bearing the penalty of sin for the world.

Here is the verse.

Note the caps.

"GOD MADE him who had no sin TO BE SIN for us, so that in him we might
become the righteousness of God"___2 Corinthians 5:21

The point?

God made Jesus who had no sin , , TO BE SIN for us.

So?

So while the Lord Jesus was "MADE , , TO BE SIN "
the Father temporarily "turned His back" so to speak, on His Son the Lord Jesus.

Something mysterious happened there on the Cross my friend, that forever
changed the world.

The Lord Jesus , , , "KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS" {Revelation 19:16

Isaiah 53 , , ,
"Surely he took up our pain and bore our suffering, yet we considered him punished by
God, stricken by him, and afflicted.

But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment
that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.

We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to our own way; and the Lord
has laid on him the iniquity of us all.

He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to
the slaughter."___ Isaiah chapter 53

Compare Isaiah 53 up there with 2 Corinthians 5:21 down below

"God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might
become the righteousness of God"___2 Corinthians 5:21

By the way, Isaiah 53 was written hundreds of years BEFORE the Lord Jesus was born.

Thank you Dear God for loving the world and for sending your Son, the Lord Jesus,
to die for the sins of the world.

JAGG

beloved57

Jesus was forsaken of the Father/God because He was made a sin offering, having the sins of God's Sheep imputed to Him!

beloved57

Most likely Jesus' cry was caused, when the Holy Spirit, who had been with Him since his baptism by John, was withdrawn, leaving Jesus alone as a human, now filled with OUR SIN, and dying.

Sir what do you mean by Christ being filled with sin?

Bob Carabbio

No, Jesus was not "joined" with the Holy Spirit at John's baptism. That is a bizarre idea that is not supported by scripture.

So in your opinion the Holy Spirit NEVER came upon Jesus, and the whole "Form of a Dove" thing is a Biblical LIE. I assume God never spoke from heaven either, as far as you're concerned.

JAGG

A Follow-up post , , ,

There is another aspect -- that the Lord Jesus said "MY God My God Why Have You Forsaken Me?"
to call attention to the Psalm 72 that He was quoting

Start quote.
"There is another possible reason for Jesus to cry out, “My God, my God,
why have you forsaken me?” It could be that Jesus’ intent in quoting
Psalm 22:1 was to point His hearers to that psalm. When they read
Psalm 22, they would no doubt see the many fulfilled prophecies
included in that song of David. Even while experiencing the agony
of the cross, Jesus was teaching the crowds and proving yet again
that He was the Messiah who fulfilled the Scripture."
End quote
https://www.gotquestions.org/forsaken-me.html

My view is that both are true
{1} My OP
and
{2} The Psalm 72 reason.

JAG

Right Divider

Body part
What you said was: "No, Jesus was not "joined" with the Holy Spirit at John's baptism."

Obviously then, what I said was NOT a Lie at all. WHat do YOU think happened at: Mat 3:16, Mk 1:10, Lk 3:32, and Jn 1:32 ??

QUOTE the scripture.... JOINED in never used there.

Mat 3:16-17 KJV And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: (17) And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Luk 3:21-22 KJV Now when all the people were baptized, it came to pass, that Jesus also being baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened, (22) And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.

Joh 1:32-33 KJV And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him. (33) And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

Bob Carabbio

This is not a matter of opinion. I'm simply letting the scripture speak for itself.

Where did you get JOINED there? Since it's not there.

"Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, John 1:33

Sounds like a "Joining" to me. You can nit-pick if you choose. Jesus HAD NO MINISTRY until the Holy Spirit came upon Him and remained. He consistently said that He didn't do things on His own: Jhn 8:28 "Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things".

What's your "Work Around for that??

Right Divider

Body part
"Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, John 1:33

Sounds like a "Joining" to me. You can nit-pick if you choose. Jesus HAD NO MINISTRY until the Holy Spirit came upon Him and remained. He consistently said that He didn't do things on His own: Jhn 8:28 "Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things".

What's your "Work Around for that??
Was Jesus' ministry a RESULT of the Holy Spirit "coming upon Him"? No, it was not.

The REASON for the Holy Spirit descending "like a dove" is given in scripture.

Joh 1:33 KJV And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

It had nothing to do with Jesus "not working alone".

Your reference to John 8:28 also does not prove you idea either.

Joh 8:28 KJV Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.

Jesus is simply saying that His Father directs His actions. It has nothing to do with the Holy Spirit's descent at Christ's baptism.

My "workaround" is simply to read and believe the scripture.

Bradley D

Shortly after that Jesus breathed His last. Jesus may have felt death coming and out of contact with God. Jesus' sacrifice took on the sins of believers. As Jesus' sacrfice cleansed the sins of believers He may have felt separated from God Father who cannot stand sin.