My Daughter - Dec. 15 / 2012

6days

Thus is my daughters testimony....today.
4 years ago today....I was a mess. Completely broken and more sad than you can imagine. Little did I know on that dark and drunken night my life was about to change! I was living in a world without hope or faith....surrounded by fear and hostility.* I wasn't capable of loving or being loved in return. Life sucked and it was hard. I made my life hard by a string of horrible choices. I pushed people away who tried to love me and told myself that I was better off alone. Death sounded like a sweet end to a horrible life. I was done. I wanted to be done. But boy oh boy did God have other plans for me.
4 years ago I was having my last drink unaware that God was watching...and completely unaware of how much he truly loves me. I had no idea how much my family loves me and I certainly didn't know if I had any friends or who they were. I had a God sized hole in my heart and in my life. But I didn't realize that ...I just figured I needed another drink. By all human reasoning I shouldn't be here to say any of this today. Addiction consumed my life in the darkest way possible.* It was only by the grace of God that I can say 4 years ago today I had my last drink. I don't look to the bottle for an answer I look to the skies. I have learned that I have an incredible family who loves me and who I love very much. I still don't have a lot of friends but the ones that I have are keepers and truly love me. I learned how to love myself and others but most importantly I met Jesus. God did a bunch of miraculous things in my life over the last 4 years ...I still don't really understand how much he loves me ...but I know it's a lot!! I am so grateful for the people who never gave up on me even long after I gave up on myself. Thank you for praying for me and loving me.
I am not sharing this for a pat on the back or any kind of attention. To be honest I would rather not bare my soul from my darkest days. However I just needed to say if you are struggling with an addiction of any kind... there is hope and it doesn't need to be the end!! And if you have a family member or friend who seems like a lost cause or beyond repair ....keep praying !!! God hears your prayers and they help. So many alcoholics and addicts don't survive...so please never stop praying!

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

I too had a battle with addiction to alcohol so I can relate to your daughter's story. My recovery began at AA when I acknowledged the existence of God. Shortly after that I heard the "gospel of the grace of God" preached to me and I grabbed hold of it with both hands! Before, I had tried and failed to make myself righteous so I had given up even trying. But after hearing the gospel of my salvation I realized that being saved was not a matter of making myself righteous at all so this was a blessing of which even I can partake!

Since then I know that the Lord loves me and I cannot get enough of His word! And knowing these things have changed me from the inside out!

Praise the Lord!

Thanks for sharing your story, 6days.

6days

I too had a battle with addiction to alcohol so I can relate to your daughter's story. My recovery began at AA when I acknowledged the existence of God. Shortly after that I heard the "gospel of the grace of God" preached to me and I grabbed hold of it with both hands! Before, I had tried and failed to make myself righteous so I had given up even trying. But after hearing the gospel of my salvation I realized that being saved was not a matter of making myself righteous at all so this was a blessing of which even I can partake!

Since then I know that the Lord loves me and I cannot get enough of His word! And knowing these things have changed me from the inside out!

Praise the Lord!

Thanks for sharing your story, 6days.

Thanks for sharing your story. My daughters story is very similar to yours. She also was in AA.
Jerry... please listen to this song. I think you will identify with it. My daughter listened to this song over and over.....and over.
https://youtu.be/_p31gY0t4pA