ECT More for the preterist

Cross Reference

Hebrews 1:1–2 (KJV 1900)

GOD, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Question: What "last days" are these mentioned here? If they ended, when did they?

Interplanner

It's the end of Dan 9's times/periods/weeks. I don't recall Judaism thinking the world would end but they knew there were sweeping changes coming in Messiah's age, also known as the age of the nations.

As for the author of Hebrews, I think he expected the world to end as Christ said was coming right after the DofJ. But there was an allowance made for a delay in Mk 13, Mt24B, 2 Pet 3. Heb 9 says his age was the 'culmination' or the end-story toward which all previous episodes were moving.

Cross Reference

It's the end of Dan 9's times/periods/weeks. I don't recall Judaism thinking the world would end but they knew there were sweeping changes coming in Messiah's age, also known as the age of the nations.

As for the author of Hebrews, I think he expected the world to end as Christ said was coming right after the DofJ. But there was an allowance made for a delay in Mk 13, Mt24B, 2 Pet 3. Heb 9 says his age was the 'culmination' or the end-story toward which all previous episodes were moving.
So how are we to interpret, face value, "these last days"? Why should we trust any historian for the answer when "these last days" are ongoing?

Interplanner

I guess you don't grasp the delay allowance of Mk 13, Mt24A, 2 Pet 3 or you'd know. It was an allowance to people at that time; a given to us.

Otherwise you have to say that the NT is too much of a contradiction to bother with, because Luke (Paul) is too disparate from Q, Mk and Mt about the DofJ. (Q is oral Aramaic; Mark was written a little after that--L. Craig, L. Stroebel).

If Paul differed from the others, it was not over the Gospel, it was over a delay; he really never seems to think there will be one, in Luke, in Thess material, in Timothy, etc. Of course, Mk 13 gives him the option of taking the 1st "time" in the parable of the attentive servants.

Look for yourself at 2 Pet 3 and see if there are any indicators that have to happen for the final day, now that the DofJ business with Israel is over and done.