Morality in Media & Republican Justices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by granite1010

Generally evangelicals have a lot more to say about sex than, say, poverty. It's just the nature of the beast. The liberal movement within the church has pretty much cornered issues such as poverty or homelessness (or at least pays more lip service).
if you mean speaking specificly about poverty I would agree,but issues like ,crime ,divorce, welfare, drug abuse,over taxation,godless public schools...

Zakath

Resident Atheist
It's mostly based on what will draw (and keep) an audience.

If you want to wipe out a congregation, preach through the Book of Numbers sometime... :chuckle:

I watched a pastor do it once and his Sunday attendance dropped by over 30% for the duration of the series... ;)

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by deardelmar

if you mean speaking specificly about poverty I would agree,but issues like ,crime ,divorce, welfare, drug abuse,over taxation,godless public schools...

Crime? Well, I suppose. Although I have to wonder how many WASPs, evangelicals, and assorted members of megachurches live within spitting distance of a real ghetto or metropolitan area. Like Detroit, for instance. Where I grew. You wanna talk crime?:D Divorce? Well, I suppose that's brought up, when it's meant to be discouraged. Which is good. As far as welfare's concerned I can't really say the conservative Christian movement has much to say on it, except "end it."

billwald

MD

Note below. Why did you change dictionaries in mid stream? Only semi-honest?

1) Immorality: n 1: the quality of not being in accord with standards of right or good conduct
(Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University)

2) \Lib"er*al\, n. One who favors greater freedom in political or religious matters; an opponent of the established systems; a reformer
(Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.)

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
As far as welfare's concerned I can't really say the conservative Christian movement has much to say on it, except "end it."
We mainly quote 2nd Thessalonians 3:10 - "For even when we were with you, we commanded you this, that if anyone would not work, neither should he eat." Liberal christians hate that verse. :chuckle:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Jefferson

We mainly quote 2nd Thessalonians 3:10 - "For even when we were with you, we commanded you this, that if anyone would not work, neither should he eat." Liberal christians hate that verse. :chuckle:

I guess it's easy to confuse "compassion" with "handout."

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator

I guess it's easy to confuse "compassion" with "handout."
Please explain why you think 2nd Thessalonians 3:10 is such a compassionate verse.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Jefferson

Please explain why you think 2nd Thessalonians 3:10 is such a compassionate verse.

I was just saying that while we're supposed to be compassionate to the poor we shouldn't give them a free pass, either.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator

I was just saying that while we're supposed to be compassionate to the poor we shouldn't give them a free pass, either.
:thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.