ECT Monergist or Synergist

MennoSota

Was Abraham acting by law when he believed God and did what God directed him to do?
What relevance does your question have to sanctification, monergism or syncretism?
Was Abraham chosen by God and ordained to be the father by which God would condescend to men? Did Abraham generate his own faith or was it a gift from God? Did God sanctify Abraham by Abraham's works or by God's ordained process?

MennoSota

Reading the Bible is a necessary part of the Christian life and where the Holy Spirit can sanctify our hearts and minds.

It is God who makes this possible and who speaks to our spirits that we should do this.

But He does not pick up the Bible, turn the pages and read for us. He does not meditate, learn or profit from it. We are active in this process just as He was active in making it possible, bringing it about and illuminating our minds as we read.

None of this has anything to do with the doctrines of justification or salvation. With regard to these principles, we are entirely passive. But sanctification is not exactly like these other doctrines because of the new creature that has been created.
Does God ordain the actions of believers and unbelievers alike? Does God prompt you to open your Bible or is God passive and uncaring? Does God even give approval to lusts of the flesh and pride of life we still exhibit? (This is not to say God approves the sin, but that God gives a "yes" to letting us fall in sin.) Or is God passive and he just lets us do our own thing so that we either sanctify ourselves or we don't?
It is a slippery slope of legalism and return back to the law when we declare ourselves to be responsible for our own sanctification.

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
Does God ordain the actions of believers and unbelievers alike? Does God prompt you to open your Bible or is God passive and uncaring? Does God even give approval to lusts of the flesh and pride of life we still exhibit? (This is not to say God approves the sin, but that God gives a "yes" to letting us fall in sin.) Or is God passive and he just lets us do our own thing so that we either sanctify ourselves or we don't?
It is a slippery slope of legalism and return back to the law when we declare ourselves to be responsible for our own sanctification.

I am really, really tired of you not reading with comprehension. You are one of the worst I have seen. It makes for a very bad reputation when you make comments that ignore what others say and go over ground again and again that has already been agreed upon as if it was somehow new! And for some reason you don't see this as a problem!

I said;
Reading the Bible is a necessary part of the Christian life and where the Holy Spirit can sanctify our hearts and minds.
It is God who makes this possible and who speaks to our spirits that we should do this.

To which you immediately reply;
Does God prompt you to open your Bible or is God passive and uncaring?

And to make it worse, you top it off by suggesting that I advocate a do-it-yourself sanctification which you know very well is a complete fabrication.

This is just not normal behavior.

MennoSota

I am really, really tired of you not reading with comprehension. You are one of the worst I have seen. It makes for a very bad reputation when you make comments that ignore what others say and go over ground again and again that has already been agreed upon as if it was somehow new! And for some reason you don't see this as a problem!

I said;

To which you immediately reply;

And to make it worse, you top it off by suggesting that I advocate a do-it-yourself sanctification which you know very well is a complete fabrication.

This is just not normal behavior.
George, as long as you insist on assisting God with your sanctification we will disagree. I have pointed out why I consider it a reversion to legalism. I'm okay with you disagreeing.
It seems that you think mixing syncretism and monergism equals Calvinism. I think it equals Arminianism.

genuineoriginal

Monergism states that the regeneration of an individual is the work of God through the Holy Spirit alone,
as opposed to Synergism, which, in its simplest form, argues that the human will cooperates with God's grace in order to be regenerated.

What view do you hold and why?
The Calvinist doctrine of efficacious grace and the Arminian doctrine of prevenient grace are both false doctrines.

The Calvinist doctrine of efficavious grace presumes that God's grace is given before the foundation of the world to those that He predestined for salvation.
The Arminian doctrine of prevenient grace presumes that God's grace is given to otherwise irredeemable people to grant them the ability to choose between good and evil.

However, the Bible shows that God's grace is individuals finding favor in the sight of God through the individual's faith (choices of beliefs and actions).
In other words, God's grace does not precede and enable an individual's choices (Synergism), nor does God's grace predetermine an individual's choices (Monergism), but God's grace happens as a result of God being pleased with the individual's choices (faith).

God alone chooses whether He is pleased with an individual's choices and whether that individual's choices pleases Him enough for Him to grant that person eternal life.
Therefore, it is up to us to try to please God and avoid displeasing God, but whether God is pleased with us or not is up to God alone.

John 8:29
29 And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.​

1 Corinthians 10:1-5
1 Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;
2 And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat;
4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.
5 But with many of them God was not well pleased: for they were overthrown in the wilderness.​

Last edited:

Derf

What relevance does your question have to sanctification, monergism or syncretism?
Was Abraham chosen by God and ordained to be the father by which God would condescend to men? Did Abraham generate his own faith or was it a gift from God? Did God sanctify Abraham by Abraham's works or by God's ordained process?

I think Nikki's next question was going to be: "Then who had sex with Sarah?"