Millennials Are the Gayest Generation- and their numbers will get even bigger

GFR7

I don't agree that less reluctance to self-report is behind the doubling.

I think what a society celebrates, it gets more of, and I'm not alone in this thinking. :think:

Millennials Are the Gayest Generation

A new study finds that 7 percent of U.S. adults aged 18-35 identify as LGBT—fully 3 percentage points higher than a recent study of adults of all ages. Why that number will get even bigger.

The Americans who fought in World War II might have been the “greatest generation,” but millennials are by far the gayest.

Included in a new report from the Public Religion Research Institute (PRRI) on the sexual attitudes of millennials is the finding that “seven percent of millennials identify either as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender.” The report is based on a survey of more than 2,000 U.S. adults between the ages of 18 and 35.

The last major meta-analysis of the size of the LGBT population in the United States, produced by the Williams Institute in 2011, estimated that 3.5 percent of adults identify as lesbian, gay, or bisexual, and 0.3 percent identify as transgender.

The contrast between the two studies is as stark as an Instagram filter: Millennials are nearly twice as likely to identify as LGBT as other American adults.

But where did this statistical doubling come from? Is the gay population poised to get larger over time, or are LGBT millennials simply more forthcoming about their gender and sexual identities than members of previous generations?

Demographers have struggled for decades to produce an accurate picture of the size of the LGBT population in the United States. In two studies from 1948 and 1953, sexologist Alfred Kinsey estimated that 10 percent of men and 2 to 6 percent of women were “more or less exclusively homosexual.”

Early gay activists quickly dropped the female side of that equation and claimed that one out of every 10 people strayed from the straight and narrow. As Gary J. Gates of the Williams Institute notes in a Washington Post op-ed, the 1-in-10 statistic—which continues to circulate colloquially to this day—was more strategic than it was factual.

“One in 10 was big enough to ‘matter,’” he writes. “But the percentage was not so large as to overly threaten a society still extremely uncomfortable with the idea of gay people.”........CONT. @ LINK

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...gayest-generation.html?source=TDB&via=FB_Page

Last edited:

OCTOBER23

Jude 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner,

giving themselves over to fornication,

and going after strange animal flesh,

are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.
-------------------------------

BEASTIALITY LEADING TO HALF GORILLA , HALF MAN = SASQUATCH

Buzzword

We're no more gay than any generation before us.

We're simply not lying to ourselves as our parents, grandparents, and ancestors did (and many, many of them have come out of the closet in response to their posterity's decision to do love unconditionally), we have no reason to fake it just to keep up social conventions, and we love ourselves as we are instead of as an ancient, barbaric tribal religion tells us we should be.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

GFR7

We're simply not lying to ourselves as our parents, grandparents, and ancestors did (and many, many of them have come out of the closet in response to their posterity's decision to do love unconditionally), we have no reason to fake it just to keep up social conventions, and we love ourselves as we are instead of as an ancient, barbaric tribal religion tells us we should be.

Well, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I think some of it is a willingness to be open about it---- the only thing which concerns me, is those who have been taken down a road which is wrong for them; but this is by NO means limited to the gay question. Thank you for your comment. :)

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Well, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I think some of it is a willingness to be open about it
I agree.

---- the only thing which concerns me, is those who have been taken down a road which is wrong for them;
Does this mean you think that some people are gay against their will? Or that society somehow makes some people gay? Or that if some people show a certain sign then society says they are gay and they start to believe it and go down that road?

:idunno:

GFR7

Does this mean you think that some people are gay against their will? Or that society somehow makes some people gay? Or that if some people show a certain sign then society says they are gay and they start to believe it and go down that road?

:idunno:
Absolutely. NOT all or most, but definitely some. I've known people like that. I am positive of it, for a significant minority of people.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
When society knows a behavior is wrong, people will inhibit their desires to do what is considered wrong.

When a behavior is deemed perfectly acceptable, there is no reason to inhibit desire.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

I didn't read the report, although I did follow the link to read through the methodology. I read the article though, and they touch on the idea of previous generations having under-reported because of stigma. That makes sense to me.

GFR7

Where do you think sexual attraction comes from?
Partly from nature, and partly from environment (home, culture). I know that the latter affects a significant minority of people (because I've known them, in my own family and culture).

shagster01

When society knows a behavior is wrong, people will inhibit their desires to do what is considered wrong.

When a behavior is deemed perfectly acceptable, there is no reason to inhibit desire.

Would you say that gay feelings haven't risen, just the amount of people acting on them?

GFR7

Exactly; and not only this, but many will want to try what is being celebrated in the culture (for example, so many high school/college girls the past 10-15 years got into "girl-on-girl" action because it was being celebrated in the movies. In the 70s, girls would not be caught dead kissing or doing any of that kind of thing).

Granite

Hall of Fame
People are being more honest than before, which is not surprising. Keep calm and carry on.

GFR7

People are being more honest than before, which is not surprising. Keep calm and carry on.
It has no affect on my life; I'm more concerned for young people and coming generations. This is not a question of 1.5% of the population being more tolerated; this is a campaign to set a new standard. As Freud knew, sexuality is ambiguous in adolescence for many.

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Or to realize the old "standard" we had was pretty twisted and needs to be set aside.

Granite

Hall of Fame
There isn't a single bit of social progress in this country that hasn't been opposed by people exactly like you.

shagster01

It has no affect on my life; I'm more concerned for young people and coming generations. This is not a question of 1.5% of the population being more tolerated; this is a campaign to set a new standard. As Freud knew, sexuality is ambiguous in adolescence for many.

1.5% of the population wanted their interracial marriages to be tolerated at one time. It set a new standard. Are you, today, disgusted by that standard? Or do you realize the old standard was stupid?