Meaning of the words "the dispensation of the grace of God"

Jerry Shugart

There are many people on this forum who do not know how to rightly divine the bible because they think that the words "the dispensation of the grace of God" means that in this dispensation and only in this dispensation salvation is on the principle of "grace." However, the different dispensations are not in regard to salvation but instead in regard to "service," because the word "dispensation" meand a "stewardship."
Here are three quotes from the pen of Paul where he speaks of a "dispensation" that has been committed or given to him:

"If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me toward you" (Eph. 3:2).

"Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God" (Col.1:25).

"...a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me" (1 Cor.9:17).

The "dispensation" which was committed to Paul is in regard to "God's grace", a "ministry", and a "gospel." Here Paul sums up his dispensational responsibility:

"But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God" (Acts 20: 24).

There can be no doubt whatsoever that the event which marks the beginning of the "dispensation of grace" is the preaching of the "gospel of the grace of God."

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
"Dispensation," (oikonomia, greek) simply means "house rules."

Israel has as set of house rules (New Covenant), and the Body of Christ has a set of house rules (grace through faith).

Right Divider

Body part
"Dispensation," (oikonomia, greek) simply means "house rules."

Israel has as set of house rules (New Covenant), and the Body of Christ has a set of house rules (grace through faith).
Do you ever feel like most Christians ignore this part of this verse?
Rom 1:17 KJV For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Jerry Shugart

A Stewardship is in regard to house rules or running the affairs of a household.

here Paul speaks of the Christian's ministry as being "stewards of the mysteries of God;

"Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God" (1 Cor.4;1).

And the following translation is speaking of the same 'dispensation of the grace of God:

"assuming that you have heard of the stewardship of God’s grace that was given to me for you"
(Eph.3:2 ESV).

Jerry Shugart

from faith to faith

The Lord Jesus told the Jews who lived under the law the following:

"Very truly I tell you, the one who believes has eternal life" (Jn.6:47).

Jerry Shugart

If the Jews who lived under the law were not saved on the priniciple of grace through faith then why would Paul write the following?:

"Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all" (Ro.4:16).

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
from faith to faith

Have you forgotten how to use the Quote function, Jerry?

Right Divider

Body part
from faith to faith

Believes what Jerry?

Jesus was NOT preaching the gospel of the grace of God to Israel. He was preaching the gospel of the kingdom which had many requirements to enter that kingdom.

Jerry Shugart

The Jews who lived under the law were to believe that Jesus is the Christ, the son of God and those who believed that truth were saved the moment they believed (1 Jn.5:1-5; Jn 20:31).