Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Marital Strife and A Girly Bishop

Tuesday June 20th, 2006. This is show #122.

BEST QUOTES OF THE SHOW
We have another email from this listener...Peter Sterling [A.K.A. TOL's Jukia]. And Peter disagrees with what we said about Disney's new Pixar movie, "Cars" because of how vulgar it is in its language and jokes. And he wrote, "And now, Bob won't go to the new Pixar movie because of the language he posted. What a wimpy, wimpy excuse for a Christian."

So one of our KGOV staffers wrote back, "Peter: Yes, while today so many kids in America grow up to be crude, we remember the time when kids grew up to be far more gracious and polilte and, come to think of it, happier and better able to interact with adults. In fact, as we travel abroad, we still meet young kids like that where our pop culture hasn't made them more vulgar. But then, Peter, apparently you disapprove of that kind of concern for children."
We have to trick the liberals into supporting a missle defense. And we could do that by saying, "If an incoming nuclear warhead exploded somewhere in America, think of what it would do to the endangered species in that region!"

So we need to sell the missle shield to liberals as necessary to save animals and the environment and clean air and E.P.A. standards and all that. And also, of course, targeted by these incoming missles are areas that are heavily populated with homosexuals. We should tell the liberals that too.
Summary:
* Peter Sterling, a.k.a. Jukia from TOL, disapproves of Bob's desire to keep children's entertainment free of profanity, sexual jokes and vulgarity, such as that in Disney's Cars.
* IBM has again broken the world speed record for computers, by freezing the chips to minus 451 degrees Fahrenheit! Look for even faster computers in 2008!
* Colorado State Rep. Kevin Lundberg explains his effort to prohibit homosexual marriage and domestic partnerships. Because of how destructive homosexuality is, such an effort equates to loving your neighbor! Please donate to Protecting Colorado Children, or help them by getting signatures on a petition or just getting the word out!
* The U.S. Episcopal Church voted for a new leader, Bishop Katharine, who promotes homosexuality as a gift from God. Bob wonders how she would describe pedophilia, incest, bestiality, etc.
* Bob warns that the Church has been infected with the humanist concepts of voting, democracy and representative republics.
Today's Resource: Watch Bob's fun and educational Live from Las Vegas debates on VHS or DVD!

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I've seen Live From Las Vegas, it was good.

Also, I'll listen to this, after I listen to Monday's show. I would like to know if Bob has learned how to pronounce bestiality, yet.:eek:

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Lighthouse said:
I've seen Live From Las Vegas, it was good.

Also, I'll listen to this, after I listen to Monday's show. I would like to know if Bob has learned how to pronounce bestiality, yet.:eek:
I think he pronounces it BEE-STEE-ALITY. The correct pronunciation is BES-CHEE-ALITY. Of course it might be a New Jersey dialect thing. Bob used to pronounce donkey as "dunkey."

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
He still pronounces it the way it's spelled. But it's in reference to beasts, so the pronunciation is based upon that, isn't it? Bob pronounces it like the word best.

So, how do you pronounce the e, Jefferson?

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Lighthouse said:
He still pronounces it the way it's spelled. But it's in reference to beasts, so the pronunciation is based upon that, isn't it?
No.

Bob pronounces it like the word best.

So, how do you pronounce the e, Jefferson?
Bob is pronouncing the e correctly if he pronounces it like "best" but he still needs to leave off the t. It's supposed to be pronounced bes-chee-ality.

Last edited by a moderator:

soothsayer

Granite said:
Cars looked pretty harmless to me...
Not if you don't like....wait, cover your ears, children....
[:whisper:] the words heck, snot, idiot, dang, the mention of "lug nuts," or farting jokes.

:shocked: Frankly I'm appalled.

Granite

Hall of Fame
soothsayer said:
Not if you don't like....wait, cover your ears, children....
[:whisper:] the words heck, snot, idiot, dang, the mention of "lug nuts," or farting jokes.

:shocked: Frankly I'm appalled.

:car:

I might check it out, sounds like a hoot.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Jukia, was there more to your email to Bob than what he read on the air? If so, would you mind posting it in its entirety here?

Jukia

Turbo said:
Jukia, was there more to your email to Bob than what he read on the air? If so, would you mind posting it in its entirety here?

I suspect there was, but it was probably just ranting and raving. I think I deleted it and I wind up deleting so much spam and junk that I really do not have the time to look for it. In addition, now that I am unbanned and perhaps a bit calmed down, I dont feel like being banned again.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Jukia: So what is your response to what the KGOV staffer wrote to you?

Jukia

Jefferson said:
Jukia: So what is your response to what the KGOV staffer wrote to you?

I think I deleted the response as well.

But as I recall the KGOV staffer was bemoaning the state of children and their general attitude toward adults and those in authority. Complaining about the Pixair movie is not going to change that. The attitude of children toward others, adults as well as other children, is, I think, a direct result of the reduction in parenting skills in the US. I can only compare my, now grown, children with their friends. I think it is fairly obvious that parents ought to have a greater impact on their kids than TV, movies, etc.

We monitored our kids TV viewing, movie going, music listening, etc. However, I cannot believe that we would have been all that concerned about this new movie. The language in the movie would seem to be no different from the language they heard in school or from team mates. You cannot keep the world from them forever.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Jukia said:
I suspect there was, but it was probably just ranting and raving. I think I deleted it and I wind up deleting so much spam and junk that I really do not have the time to look for it. In addition, now that I am unbanned and perhaps a bit calmed down, I dont feel like being banned again.
You think you will get banned by fulfilling with an administrators request that you post your email in its entirety? What, is it full of crude language or something? Surely it's not; if it were I'm sure Bob would have mentioned the irony of it.

If you don't feel like it, fine. (Though it's odd that you took the time to write it.) If you've already deleted it, fine. If now that a few days have passed you are embarrassed by what you wrote, fine. But don't act like the reason you won't post it is because you fear that you would get banned if you did.

Bob's quote from your email sounded like merely the conclusion of your email. I was just curious as to whether there was any substance to the rest of it, or if it was just more empty potshots and namecalling like the portion quoted (and like so many of your posts on TOL.) But I suppose your admission that "it was probably just ranting and raving" is enough to go by. Thanks! :thumb:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Jukia said:
I think I deleted the response as well.

But as I recall the KGOV staffer was bemoaning the state of children and their general attitude toward adults and those in authority. Complaining about the Pixair movie is not going to change that. The attitude of children toward others, adults as well as other children, is, I think, a direct result of the reduction in parenting skills in the US. I can only compare my, now grown, children with their friends. I think it is fairly obvious that parents ought to have a greater impact on their kids than TV, movies, etc.

We monitored our kids TV viewing, movie going, music listening, etc. However, I cannot believe that we would have been all that concerned about this new movie. The language in the movie would seem to be no different from the language they heard in school or from team mates. You cannot keep the world from them forever.
Jukia, I actually agree with you here for the most part. The things in Cars cited by Bob would not be enough to deter me from allowing my family to see it. I think there is some danger in being overly protective in what kids are allowed to watch, as they may grow to resent their parents for it. And it can be harder for kids to take what parents say seriously on more important matters when they get uptight about something so mild.

However, I also understand Bob's frustration with Hollywood's tendency to "slip in" a few questionable jokes into an otherwise clean movie.

Maybe Bob is making to much of this issue, but maybe you are too. Does Bob's judgment that Cars is not as family-friendly as it appears really warrant labeling him "a wimpy, wimpy excuse for a Christian," or were you just looking for an opportunity to cut loose because of other disagreements you have with him?

Jukia

Turbo said:
You think you will get banned by fulfilling with an administrators request that you post your email in its entirety? What, is it full of crude language or something? Surely it's not; if it were I'm sure Bob would have mentioned the irony of it.

If you don't feel like it, fine. (Though it's odd that you took the time to write it.) If you've already deleted it, fine. If now that a few days have passed you are embarrassed by what you wrote, fine. But don't act like the reason you won't post it is because you fear that you would get banned if you did.

Bob's quote from your email sounded like merely the conclusion of your email. I was just curious as to whether there was any substance to the rest of it, or if it was just more empty potshots and namecalling like the portion quoted (and like so many of your posts on TOL.) But I suppose your admission that "it was probably just ranting and raving" is enough to go by. Thanks! :thumb:
I deleted it. If I could find it easily I would post it for you.

Pot shots and name calling? Ah, well lets listen to Pastor Bob's Hawking show for a lesson in that. I must admit I was suckered into that--thought it was for real.

Jukia

Turbo said:
Jukia, I actually agree with you here for the most part. The things in Cars cited by Bob would not be enough to deter me from allowing my family to see it. I think there is some danger in being overly protective in what kids are allowed to watch, as they may grow to resent their parents for it. And it can be harder for kids to take what parents say seriously on more important matters when they get uptight about something so mild.

However, I also understand Bob's frustration with Hollywood's tendency to "slip in" a few questionable jokes into an otherwise clean movie.

Maybe Bob is making to much of this issue, but maybe you are too. Does Bob's judgment that Cars is not as family-friendly as it appears really warrant labeling him "a wimpy, wimpy excuse for a Christian," or were you just looking for an opportunity to cut loose because of other disagreements you have with him?

I was never too worried about my kids resenting me. I think my wife and I made some pretty decent decisions along the way. Once for example, my oldest was early high school, was going to go to local amusement park with a another girl and 2 boys. No big deal until it turned out they were going in a Suzuki Brat, remember those, little trucks with 2 jump seats in the back, in the open? She didn't talk to me for a week after I said "Not my daughter" and then we dragged her to a swimming dinner for other daughter. But she got over it.

As far as my comments re "wimpy, wimpy", you are probably correct, I was taking a cheap shot based on what I consider to be his positions in other areas. I may have also made some references to misdemeanor child abuse convictions.

Gotta go, time to have a beer.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Jukia said:
I deleted it. If I could find it easily I would post it for you.
OK. :up:

Pot shots and name calling? Ah, well lets listen to Pastor Bob's Hawking show for a lesson in that.
Don't get me wrong; I don't have a problem with name calling. It's when they don't have any substance or truth behind them that it's a problem. Note what I said:
I was just curious as to whether there was any substance to the rest of it, or if it was just more empty potshots and namecalling like the portion quoted (and like so many of your posts on TOL.)​

I must admit I was suckered into that--thought it was for real.
:chuckle:

Status
Not open for further replies.