Marijuana

Crow

I've known people who smoked marijuana for cancer pain. Apparantly it works, and counteracts some of the effects of chemotherapy as well.

Most people can get "high" to some degree from conventional pain medications. But people who take such things for severe pain aren't taking them to get high--it's a side effect.

LivingDeadDoll

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Medicinal use aside, no, i do not know anyone who smokes marijuana without intention to get high. Do i intend to get high when i smoke it. That depends, recreationally, of course i do. I like it for it's calming effects. However if i smoke it because i think that it will benefit me medically at the time, then no, i do not always intend to get high. Like i said before, i do not like to do it during the day, only after the kids are asleep. But i do have stomach problems, back problems, stress issues, possibly fibromyalgia or some other neurological problem, and if i happen to use it during the daytime hours i try to take a puff or two to help my physical situation but i do NOT intend to get high at those times. Honestly, i do not always care for the "high" feeling that it gives me, but i like knowing that i have a way to release my tension at the end of the day without having to take a drink or take a pill, both of which have side effects not only during use but afterward too. Now, i realize that marijuana has "side effects" also but let's just say that i prefer to use something non-addictive. Also like i said before my husband uses it for his multiple sclerosis and at the end of the day he has a lot of symptoms of his disease that flare up and the marijuana really helps, so we do it together at night so that we have "our time" together too, he hates doing it alone and it benefits my stress level so it's a win win for us.

LivingDeadDoll

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by Crow
Most people can get "high" to some degree from conventional pain medications. But people who take such things for severe pain aren't taking them to get high--it's a side effect.

I think that was a very good point. :thumb:

the Sibbie

LivingDeadDoll,
Do you think the medicinal benefits outweigh the risks of lung cancer?

Btw, do you nurse your infant?

LivingDeadDoll

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
No, i do not nurse my infant any longer, and i did not smoke when i did. And in some cases i say that the benefits MOST DEFINETLY outweigh the risks. If you watched your loved one go through periods where they shook so uncontrollably that they could barely talk much less walk, or their muscles tighten up so hard that you could just about knock on them, or if you watched them go into a coma-like state where they could not even communicate, or they bled from their eyes, or were in so much pain from muscles spacticity that they curled up and cried and screamed, or if they were in a wheelchair, then you might think the same. maybe you can identify, maybe not. but lung cancer is the least of our concerns right now, and even neurologists and pain management doctors have said the same. My husband spent all of christmas morning in the bed, never even got to see the children open their presents. He has a horrible disease that eats away at his brain and body, lung cancer is NOT at the top of our list of concerns.:cry:

the Sibbie

That is really sad and I'm sorry for the kind of pain and challenges your husband has to endure. :nono: Sounds like some sort of autoimmune disease. I just hope you don't smoke in the house where the smoke could drift into your childrens' bedrooms. It definitely couldn't be healthy for young, developing brains and bodies.

LivingDeadDoll

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
He has multiple sclerosis, atleast that's the closest thing they can come up with. And of course i do not smoke in my house. My children have no idea, and not because i think it's wrong for them to know, becasue i do not like being dishonest about such a thing, but they are young still, and it's sad but i feel forced into raising my children by someone else's standards out of fear. Fear that if my children were to mention something at school and then they come and arrest me or something crazy! Which makes it equally hard for my husband to be able to get the relief he sometimes needs. Because we have to be so careful. I bet people understand my reason for supporting lagalization now. lol

Mr Jack

Originally posted by Shimei
So you know people who "ingest" marijuana to not get high?

Define "to get high"?

I, and various people I know, have taken and do take marijuana with the intention of reaching a level of intoxication equivalent to having a couple of pints of strong beer - i.e. a little merry, so you can feel the effects but they are not having a significant impairing effect on your judgement.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Bottomline, opposition to weed comes from those who fear what they don't understand...or are afraid of people thinking on their own.

Mr Jack

That's not entirely fair, Granite, most people I know who are strongly anti-weed have worked in the mental health industry and dealt with people who's lives have been damn near destroyed by Hash.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Maybe fundamentally, but from what I've heard the effect hash vs. weed has is dramatic. Never tried hash myself.

Mr Jack

Not really. It depends more on what weed you're growing, than how it's processed. Hash does tend to be more concentrate, but some of the more recent types of marijuana will get you high just as swiftly if not more so. I imagine most people simply vary the amount they take according to how strong it is.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by lighthouse
God created everything good, but it has become corrupted.
One wonders what things like mosquitos and poison ivy were like before they became "corrupted"... :think:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LivingDeadDoll

But i do have stomach problems, back problems, stress issues, possibly fibromyalgia or some other neurological problem

Have you been medically diagnosed with all these problems or are they conclusions that you have come to on your own?

but i like knowing that i have a way to release my tension at the end of the day without having to take a drink or take a pill, both of which have side effects not only during use but afterward too. Now, i realize that marijuana has "side effects" also but let's just say that i prefer to use something non-addictive.

And how is it that you know for sure that marijuana is not addictive? I ask this because we had some friends a few years back who smoked it. When we found out, we confronted them they were quick to tell us how non-addictive it was and how other things are much worse. She said they used it for stress issues. After a while, she confided in me that it really was getting out of control. She stopped for a while (or so she says) but said that he would always say that he was going to buy just one more "bag" and that's it. But that was never it. She called several times crying, wanting help because his use of it and refusal to stop was ruining their family. When we told her what she should do, we'd end up not hearing from her for a long time. If we called to check on them, she was quick to say that everything was ok. She didn't really want to talk but seemed to want to get off the phone as quickly as possilbe. And then lo and behold she'd call again out of the blue complaining about it. I told her that it bothered me that she did this. Come to find out, she hadn't exactly quit either and I'm sure it was her guilt that kept her from keeping in contact. If it's not addictive then why would her husband promise to stop yet doesn't and why would she deliberately go back to the very thing that she said is destroying her family?

Also like i said before my husband uses it for his multiple sclerosis and at the end of the day he has a lot of symptoms of his disease that flare up and the marijuana really helps, so we do it together at night so that we have "our time" together too, he hates doing it alone and it benefits my stress level so it's a win win for us.

Why is he opposed to the many drugs that are offered for this disease? Surely if he suffers this much, the doctor can give him something for symptom relief. I'm also curious as to why his symptoms seem to be so bad at the end of the day? Symptoms of this can flare up at different times. I wonder because with you saying so that you can have "your time" together and that he hates doing it alone, I sense that there's more than going on than just smoking it for "medicinal purposes".

My children have no idea, and not because i think it's wrong for them to know, becasue i do not like being dishonest about such a thing, but they are young still, and it's sad but i feel forced into raising my children by someone else's standards out of fear.

Do you plan on telling them when they're older? And if so, what if when they get older and aren't feeling well, they opt for drugs and feel they can justify it because this is what they witnessed from their parents as children?

Last edited:

Mr Jack

And how is it that you know for sure that marijuana is not addictive?

Marijuana is not physiologically addictive (I say this with some certainity since I know some people who spent about a decade researching the effects of marijuana). This doesn't mean that folks can't get into problem relations with it, however. Plenty of folks manage to destroy their lives with unhealthy obsessions without any physiological addiction at all.