Marijuana

Ninjashadow

They can. They should be able to tell how long the THC has been in the system and a piss test would be probable cause to arrest.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ninjashadow

Probably not, but the breathalizer hasn't been around for that long. I know that there are urine tests that can be administered and get the resulsts in three minutes, so perhaps that could be a solution.
A cop once told me that MJ would never be legal untill they devolop a simple non evasive road side test for it. Made sense to me.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned

They can.

A roadside test?

They should be able to tell how long the THC has been in the system and a piss test would be probable cause to arrest.

How will a cop administer a piss test to a female on the side of a road?

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned

It shows up in the blood, too.

Ah, so you want cops to start jabbing needles into people on the side of the road? Do you think the cops want to do that?

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BillyBob

I was making a joke.

My opinion is that Marijuana is no more harmful than alcohol and maybe even less harmful in some ways.

I think it desreves the same restrictions that alcohol does as well as the same availability and legality.

However, I am a bit apprehensive that legalizing marijuana may be a step toward legalizing other, more harmful drugs. Where do we draw the line? What scale do we use to determine what intoxicants should be legal and which shouldn't?

Great point, BillyBob. It's called using a little common sense.

Yes, alchohol is legal and can be safe if it's not abused. Just because it can be used safely (which seems to be a big argument for legalizing pot) doesn't mean that it always is. While some people can have a drink every now and then with no problem there's something about it that causes others to throw responsibility, rationality and safety of oneself and others out the window. We already have enough problems with this "drug". Why would we want to legalize something else that would only cause these same kind of problems? So now one will say, "well, pot is legal and I'm handling it ok and X drug isn't really that much worse than pot so what could it hurt? In fact, I can still think pretty clearly when I take X drug and it helps with my stress and pain so I think it should be legal". There will be no stop to what people want legalized. But it's one's like granite who could care less about how it might effect others just as long as he is ok with it. After all, we all know that how granite thinks and how he would handle it if it were legalized is all that really matters.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by Poly

Why would we want to legalize something else that would only cause these same kind of problems? So now one will say, "well, pot is legal and I'm handling it ok and X drug isn't really that much worse than pot so what could it hurt? In fact, I can still think pretty clearly when I take X drug and it helps with my stress and pain so I think it should be legal". There will be no stop to what people want legalized.

Those are good points, Poly.

I am usually decided on issues, but I cannot seem to reconcile a solid position on this one.

On one hand, I think it would be wrong for the feds to legalize drugs. They have an obligation to secure the safety of its citizens and I don't think condoning drug use fits that description. Many crimes are commited while under the influence of drugs and they certainly are not healthy for it's users. Pot isn't so bad, but cocain and heroin almost always lead to severe addiction. How can the government responsibly condone such recreational drug usage?

On the other hand, it seems absurd to me that the prisons are filled with people whose only crime was to sell something that other people wanted to buy. I have the same 'feeling' about the illegality of prostitution. It seems to violate the concept of freedom that is part of our culture and heritage.

I don't know if I'll ever resolve this indecision.......

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Poly

Great point, BillyBob. It's called using a little common sense.

Yes, alchohol is legal and can be safe if it's not abused. Just because it can be used safely (which seems to be a big argument for legalizing pot) doesn't mean that it always is. While some people can have a drink every now and then with no problem there's something about it that causes others to throw responsibility, rationality and safety of oneself and others out the window. We already have enough problems with this "drug". Why would we want to legalize something else that would only cause these same kind of problems? So now one will say, "well, pot is legal and I'm handling it ok and X drug isn't really that much worse than pot so what could it hurt? In fact, I can still think pretty clearly when I take X drug and it helps with my stress and pain so I think it should be legal". There will be no stop to what people want legalized. But it's one's like granite who could care less about how it might effect others just as long as he is ok with it. After all, we all know that how granite thinks and how he would handle it if it were legalized is all that really matters.

Again, it is know that someone can have a few beers and not get drunk. Is it know that someone can smoke a joint and not get high? The argument of taking just one or two hits and then quitting, I just don't buy. Also, one or two hits probably would get most people high.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Different strokes. Some people's tolerance for booze is greater than others, same thing with weed. A couple of hits might make you mellow, on the other hand you might not even feel it. It also is greatly effected by the quality of grass you're smoking (and that really goes for any booze or narcotic out there).

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by granite1010

Different strokes. Some people's tolerance for booze is greater than others, same thing with weed. A couple of hits might make you mellow, on the other hand you might not even feel it. It also is greatly effected by the quality of grass you're smoking (and that really goes for any booze or narcotic out there).
The quality of wine is not usually determined by how drunk it makes you!

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by deardelmar

The quality of wine is not usually determined by how drunk it makes you!

True, but we were talking more, shall we say, blue collar past times...

:devil:

Soulman

BANNED
Banned
Drunk and "high" are not equivalent.

BillyBob, I'm a little surprised at you. Don't think we've ever chatted, but you always struck me as a "Libertine," limited government kind of guy. Where does it say that the government's job is to regulate what we put into our bodies? Lotta stuff out there that's "dangerous" and potentially not "good" for you -- like "dangerous books," hang-gliding, or fooling around with a married woman. Addicts, like the poor, will always be with us. Historically, 2-3 percent of drug users become "addicts." This says as much about human nature as it does about drugs. Should all "firearms" be confiscated because 2-3 percent of "gun users" use them irresponsibly? Government is never the answser.

You mentioned drug users commit crimes while high on drugs. No doubt. But most crimes are commited by drug users in order to feed a drug habit made more desperate by the inflated street prices of "illegal" drugs. It would be less expensive, and more humane, to simply GIVE the 2-3 percent of addicts their drugs, than arrest and warehouse them, as we're doing now. This doesn't address the ethical issues of drug use, or why people use drugs, but as a practical matter it reduces the likelihood of an addict knocking you over the head for your Timex whenever he needs a fix. The "moral high ground" of the Christian Right and the government's War on People is killing us.

Ninjashadow

Ah, so you want cops to start jabbing needles into people on the side of the road? Do you think the cops want to do that?

If they are trained to do it and told to do it.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by Soulman

Drunk and "high" are not equivalent.

BillyBob, I'm a little surprised at you. Don't think we've ever chatted, but you always struck me as a "Libertine," limited government kind of guy.

Perhaps you missed this part of my post:

On the other hand, it seems absurd to me that the prisons are filled with people whose only crime was to sell something that other people wanted to buy. I have the same 'feeling' about the illegality of prostitution. It seems to violate the concept of freedom that is part of our culture.

Where does it say that the government's job is to regulate what we put into our bodies? Lotta stuff out there that's "dangerous" and potentially not "good" for you -- like "dangerous books," hang-gliding, or fooling around with a married woman.

Those are all very different from one another. If the libs have their way, they will regulate more of them.

Addicts, like the poor, will always be with us. Historically, 2-3 percent of drug users become "addicts."

Now, I don't know where you get that number, but I promise you that more than 2-3 percent of crack users become addicted to the stuff.

This says as much about human nature as it does about drugs. Should all "firearms" be confiscated because 2-3 percent of "gun users" use them irresponsibly? Government is never the answser.

You keep comparing things that are not analogous to drugs.

You mentioned drug users commit crimes while high on drugs. No doubt. But most crimes are commited by drug users in order to feed a drug habit made more desperate by the inflated street prices of "illegal" drugs.

It's not that simple. A crack addict has no money, so even if crack cost one quarter of it's current price a crack addict will still commit crimes to obtain his drug. [I don't think I ever said that drug users comit crimes when high, although it certainly happens]

It would be less expensive, and more humane, to simply GIVE the 2-3 percent of addicts their drugs, than arrest and warehouse them, as we're doing now.

What else should we 'give away'? Food? Clothing? A house? Furniture? New Carpeting? A Car? Gasoline? An Air Conditioner?

It isn't the job of the government to supply people with anything. Besides, the government would then be condoning and contributing to addiction. That is absolutely unacceptable.

Your point about arresting drug users simply for possesion is a good one, I agree that it seems to be heavy handed.

This doesn't address the ethical issues of drug use, or why people use drugs, but as a practical matter it reduces the likelihood of an addict knocking you over the head for your Timex whenever he needs a fix.

That's why I carry a gun which, by the way, is specified in the Constitution as my right. There is nothing in there about me having a right to government sponsored crack.

But really, are you actually suggesting that the government freely distribute dangerous drugs to any person who asks for them? Drugs that can readily kill a person?

The "moral high ground" of the Christian Right and the government's War on People is killing us.

How so?