LOST - discussion about the TV series LOST. ** SPOILER ALERT **

The Graphite

Hmmm, sounds almost like they're fudging it so that it can be interpreted either way, thereby giving them more room to work it out whatever way works best for them. Who knows.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hmmm, sounds almost like they're fudging it so that it can be interpreted either way, thereby giving them more room to work it out whatever way works best for them. Who knows.
I think that it's more an issue of logistics (especially for syndication). The show writers probably have a vision of the shows they want to make (double episodes etc.) but then the production company needs to convert everything into single episodes for Netflix, DVD, and most importantly syndication (repeats). Ultimately the final packaged shows for syndication make the true show count.

The Graphite

Okay, I have a theory. Just watched last week's episode over again.

First, I think the cave is almost definitely Smokey's. Jacob has his place in the statue, and we've even seen him weaving the tapestry there, etc. It's not just a meeting place or something. The cave is the opposite and belongs to the adversary. The candidates are certainly Jacob's, but this sloppy style on the wall doesn't suit Jacob. It suits the angry and dark Smokey. He is keeping track of Jacob's candidates, and even eliminating them. He successfully eliminated Locke and got everyone to bring Locke's body back for him to walk around in.

Second, who is the replacement? Here's my theory. Kwon. Which Kwon? Sun or Jin?

Right before unLocke mentions the candidates, we see the LA X timeline, where they show us Locke as substitute teacher. Teaching what, of all things? They made sure we saw him as a teacher, even though that isn't really an especially logically intuitive job for him. The writers put him in that job, teaching... what?

Reproduction. "The human life cycle" is even written on the board behind him. What an unusual school subject to stick into the story. Yes, some TV series have a penchant for putting that topic into school-related stories, however it's nearly always a part of the plot itself, the controversy of the topic, etc. That's not the case, here. Human reproduction, and the life cycle...

Moments later, we see the candidates as explained by unLocke. We see the flashback of Jacob touching both Jin and Sun. Blessing their union. He touches both of them.

My theory (it's just an idea) is that Jacob has played an exceptional game of chess with his adversary. He has put pawns all over the board, and allowed his opponent to knock them down, again and again. And his opponent pridefully thinks he is winning because of the number of pieces he is taking out of play. But that's not what wins chess. What wins chess, in the end, is the one final piece you move into checkmate. You can sacrifice any other piece except for... what? Except for your king. You protect your king, and you sacrifice as many of the other pieces as you have to in order to defeat the other side.

Jacob has brought in all of these candidates to confuse and distract Jacob. And one after the other, they have fallen. But the real candidate is hidden... the product of two "kings" -- Kwon and "Paik." The hidden candidate. The secret candidate. That's why Jacob was confident and calm as he was killed. Because he knew the real candidate was hidden from Smokey. Hidden where? Oh yeah... off the island, where Smokey can't go!

"Ji Yeown" means "flower of wisdom." With the last name "Kwon" it means "flower of wisdom [in] authority."

42 is the hidden Kwon. The beginning of the new life cycle.

It's just an idea. I don't know. We'll see!

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You guys amaze me. I watch the show, extremely interested, trying to tie together things as I watch it. But after it's over, I go to bed and don't think about it until the next one starts. Not sure I could connect the dots like you all if I wanted to.

Neat stuff, guys! :up:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You guys amaze me. I watch the show, extremely interested, trying to tie together things as I watch it. But after it's over, I go to bed and don't think about it until the next one starts. Not sure I could connect the dots like you all if I wanted to.

Neat stuff, guys! :up:
I wonder if I would be this aware of all the details had I watched the show over the last 6 years. :think:

I think it's magnified for me because I have watched it all within just a few months. I have always been a huge fan of movies and shows that force the viewer to contemplate the essence of the story and figure out puzzles. LOST is one of the most fun shows I have ever seen, especially because it raises issues that most people don't normally think about (fate vs. freewill, good vs. evil, etc.). It has given my mind a workout that frankly.... was very much needed.

The Graphite

Wow, I hadn't seen any promos like that. Interesting.

Oh, by the way. Miraculous conception leading to the one who will come and be the new chosen one?

Many people have had miraculous blessings on the island. The lame have walked. The unloveable have found love. The sick have been healed. The persecuted have found sanctuary. The addicted have found release. The repentant have found redemption. But there's only one miraculous conception... the baby of Kwon and Paik. And now the big mystery is who the "candidate" will be. The annointed one to carry on the work of Jacob.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Wow, I hadn't seen any promos like that. Interesting.

Oh, by the way. Miraculous conception leading to the one who will come and be the new chosen one?

Many people have had miraculous blessings on the island. The lame have walked. The unloveable have found love. The sick have been healed. The persecuted have found sanctuary. The addicted have found release. The repentant have found redemption. But there's only one miraculous conception... the baby of Kwon and Paik. And now the big mystery is who the "candidate" will be. The annointed one to carry on the work of Jacob.
:doh:

I completely forgot about that.

Great call! :BRAVO:

The Graphite

Sheesh, here we are at a Christian-dominated forum, and nobody stopped to think about the miraculous conception angle? :doh:

On another note... Ooo, talk about a brutal comment. The guy who plays Widmore, Alan Dale (he also played Vice Pres. Prescott in 24 seasons two & three) is quoted as saying that even though he has continued to play Widmore on the show... he quit watching Lost in the middle of season 3 because “I got sick of following it. It went through a lull in scripts in the third season.”

echinacea

i havent seen any of season 6 but last night i just watched the last show of season 5 (i think it was the last.....some chick got pulled down a well when they drilled too close to some energy and had to whack a hydrogen bomb)

i wonder if they really will end the series......if so, they can restart Deadwood (but on cable...much of the eloquent language would be lost if they did it on broadcast tv)

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
So now there just happens to be a lighthouse on the Island? I thought that was kind of odd.

My prediction is that Jacks son in the parallel story is Juliet's. I don't think she has yet to be featured in the parallel world...so that's my thought.

Also, I wonder what ever happened to that room on the other Island that Ben revealed a few seasons ago. Whatever you want just appears in that room.

The Graphite

The wish room is very dubious. Ben is a compulsive liar. He claimed that Locke's dad appeared in this magic room.

However, in a flashback later, we see that the Others sent operatives to go and very purposefully kidnap Locke's father to bring him to the island, which tells me that either Ben made up the room completely, or if there is such a room, that certainly wasn't it. Or... or else the room works very differently from how Ben suggested. For example, what Ben didn't explain was that the room (theoretically) just tells you where to find the person you're looking for.

Like the room in the lighthouse, for example. You wish to find ____ and the room tells you where to find him.

I don't think the lighthouse is the room Ben was referring to. It's just one example of how the room might be different from what Ben was suggesting. Personally, I have a feeling the room doesn't actually exist at all, since we saw the Others kidnap Locke's dad and they brought him to the island.

Last edited:

The Graphite

It's no secret this show is inspired by the Myst game.

Remember the first Myst? Person is marooned on a mysterious island with various challenges and strange sights. There's a hidden cave you can descend into, where you can view secret information. There's an observatory tower that can turn round to face different directions so you can view different things, depending on which way it's facing. There's advanced scientific equipment. There's a flying vessel that seems grounded; it just sits there, close to the beach. There's a seagoing ship that submerges. There's a small, secondary island you can eventually walk to if you figure out how to get there.

Eventually, you discover... two brothers. Each brother says he's the good guy, and the other one is evil. "Help me, not him! He'll kill you, but I am your friend!" One seems funny but manic. The other acts calm, but creepy. Who do you side with?

Neither. It's a false dilemma. If you take the side of either one, you're doomed. The answer is to reject both. Only then can you escape the island and have a chance to be free.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
It's no secret this show is inspired by the Myst game.

Remember the first Myst? Person is marooned on a mysterious island with various challenges and strange sights. There's a hidden cave you can descend into, where you can view secret information. There's an observatory tower that can turn round to face different directions so you can view different things, depending on which way it's facing. There's advanced scientific equipment. There's a flying vessel that seems grounded; it just sits there, close to the beach. There's a seagoing ship that submerges. There's a small, secondary island you can eventually walk to if you figure out how to get there.

Eventually, you discover... two brothers. Each brother says he's the good guy, and the other one is evil. "Help me, not him! He'll kill you, but I am your friend!" One seems funny but manic. The other acts calm, but creepy. Who do you side with?

Neither. It's a false dilemma. If you take the side of either one, you're doomed. The answer is to reject both. Only then can you escape the island and have a chance to be free.

I have never even heard of this. Now that is something else I have to look up.

Man, who knew that watching a prime-time show would be so much work!

The Graphite

Just a minor observation, here... It's not my prevailing theory, but maybe worth mentioning.

"What lies in the shadow of the statue?"

Answer: He who will save us.

What did Ben do when Ilana asked him who killed Jacob?

Answer: Lie.

Now, mind you, I favor the theory that the answer to this conundrum is Locke, particularly because the question is not "who" but rather "what." And "what" is Locke's lifeless, inanimate body. Yet, the answer says "who" and not "what."

"What lies in the shadow of the statue? He who will save us." An inanimate object that is a person. That's my prevailing theory. But I found it curiously interesting that in the events at the statue, Ben chose to lie... in the shadow of the statue.

The Graphite

I didn't come up with this theory, but I'm going to jump on board with it and pass it along here... and make a wild prediction.

Matthew Abaddon is Walt.

Adam

Hall of Fame
I didn't come up with this theory, but I'm going to jump on board with it and pass it along here... and make a wild prediction.

Matthew Abaddon is Walt.
I've been thinking that since forever ago. Matthew Abaddon is also dead. But, then again, is anything really ever final with LOST?

yokefellow

Just a minor observation, here... It's not my prevailing theory, but maybe worth mentioning.

"What lies in the shadow of the statue?"

Answer: He who will save us.

What did Ben do when Ilana asked him who killed Jacob?

Answer: Lie.

Now, mind you, I favor the theory that the answer to this conundrum is Locke, particularly because the question is not "who" but rather "what." And "what" is Locke's lifeless, inanimate body. Yet, the answer says "who" and not "what."

"What lies in the shadow of the statue? He who will save us." An inanimate object that is a person. That's my prevailing theory. But I found it curiously interesting that in the events at the statue, Ben chose to lie... in the shadow of the statue.

Whoa. Graphite, you continue to stun me with all of these predictions. Keep up the good work!