ECT Look at a Parable

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You're talking over my head. If you want me to understand what you are saying you need to keep it simple. I'm not well educated.

You are likely well educated in the things which matter, and the Lord saves simple people .

1Co 1:26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
1Co 1:27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
1Co 1:28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
1Co 1:29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.

LA

rainee

You're talking over my head. If you want me to understand what you are saying you need to keep it simple. I'm not well educated.

Ah well I doubt very much that I talk over your head and I doubt you are not well educated.

But I can be hard to understand. I may be a little less logical than some.
But I may make up for that a little maybe by thinking kinda quickly sometimes in pictures. And I stress "sometimes."

I also can't type very well.

Now what is so great about you bringing this up again is something came to me about "allegory" - the Greek idea was because of politics.

Yep, if I remember correctly what my teacher said, they would talk their political schemes and plans and such in their assembly without letting rivals and opponents know their stuff.

Also back to parabolic - if one say a parable is parabolic - please remember that parabolic is much younger than the word parable.
So it's like saying your great grand kid is like you. (duh)

But if anybody decided they really wanted to know something about this and looked it up I gotta tell you the internet is either rich or rife or both with information. I love it. But we gotta be shrewd, yeah?

So yes parable did come from to "throw down along side"
Like sidewalk means the place you walk along side a road.
Like broadcast means to throw out in a wide fashion.

Yes?

They say "devil" shares a part of that.

Ok but right now may I say something about rupture?
It meant to break violently.
So we have interrupt which carries the "suddenly" part of "violently breaking."
But "corrupt"?

It meant to break violently along side. Someone who corrupts another is being next to them and is "breaking" (ruining) them. One guy wrote (long ago) that it was like holding a clock in your hand and throwing it down violently beside you.

So the "throw down (bole)along side(para)" of parable does not mean to break anything. Sorry to be a bore but I do love this stuff.

Now back to coining or creating words it says in Acts 11:26 that the word "Christians" for the disciples started being used at a certain time in a certain place. Which is cool, yes?
But I do not know if Paul coined any words himself. He may have, I just don't know.

genuineoriginal

Well, first go look up the definition of a parable.

Does the definition refer you toward the word parabola rather than toward the word parallel?

The word in math means something else so that is actually misleading - but at one time the word "parabola" came from the word "parable.

That means "parabola" can't tell you what a parable is because "parable" is what was in mind when the word "parabola" was first created and used.

However, "parallel" does help. It goes along side. It never touches but it goes along side.

Fable
a short tale to teach a moral lesson, often with animals or inanimate objects as characters; apologue:
- Latin fābula a story, tale, equivalent to fā (rī) to speak + -bula suffix of instrument​

Parable
a short allegorical story designed to illustrate or teach some truth, religious principle, or moral lesson.
- Late Latin parabola equivalent to para- para-1+ bolḗ a throwing​

I believe Parable is more closely related to Fable than to Parabola.

Parabola comes from para- and bolḗ (along side + throwing).
Fable comes from fā and -bula (to speak + of instrument).
Parable most likely comes from para- and -bula (along side + of instrument) since it is similar to Fable in definition.
The main difference is that a Fable involves speaking animals in a story but a Parable involves a parallel situation in a story.

rainee

Yes, an earthly story with a heavenly meaning.

"Parables. Design of: Bring under conviction (2 Sam. 12:1–6), Teach a spiritual truth (Is. 5:1–6), Illustrate a point (Luke 10:25–37), Fulfill prophecy (Matt. 13:34, 35), Conceal truth from the unbelieving (Matt. 13:10–16)." Thomas Nelson Publishers. (1996). Nelson’s quick reference topical Bible index (p. 468). Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Publishers.

Yes, thank you SD, good solid grounding
(glad to see you!)

rainee

Fable
a short tale to teach a moral lesson, often with animals or inanimate objects as characters; apologue:
- Latin fābula a story, tale, equivalent to fā (rī) to speak + -bula suffix of instrument​

Parable
a short allegorical story designed to illustrate or teach some truth, religious principle, or moral lesson.
- Late Latin parabola equivalent to para- para-1+ bolḗ a throwing​

I believe Parable is more closely related to Fable than to Parabola.

Dear GO

How do I say this?
I like you, respect a lot you have said, and last and maybe least: No
"fable" cannot work here.

Cannot.

It carries "instrument" in it for a reason, I guess.
It has always been seen as something NOT based on as fact.
If someone told a fable it was never supposed to make you think it really happened.

Please consider: "The Son of Man is the Sower" - is at the end of a parable and we are told this in the explanation of the parable.
Really the parable is a true earth bound experience being applied to an invisible spiritual truth.

Fables and fairy tales aren't supposed to make us think they are real, right?
Look all these below (They came from a very good online dictionary on defining fable)
1 Tim 1:4
1 Tim 4:7
2 Tim 4:4
Titus 1:14
2 Peter 1:16

i love this dictionary, scroll all the way down for the etymology of fable

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fable

genuineoriginal

Dear GO

How do I say this?
I like you, respect a lot you have said, and last and maybe least: No
"fable" cannot work here.

Cannot.

It carries "instrument" in it for a reason, I guess.
It has always been seen as something NOT based on as fact.
If someone told a fable it was never supposed to make you think it really happened.

Please consider: "The Son of Man is the Sower" - is at the end of a parable and we are told this in the explanation of the parable.
Really the parable is a true earth bound experience being applied to an invisible spiritual truth.

Fables and fairy tales aren't supposed to make us think they are real, right?
Look all these below (They came from a very good online dictionary on defining fable)
1 Tim 1:4
1 Tim 4:7
2 Tim 4:4
Titus 1:14
2 Peter 1:16

i love this dictionary, scroll all the way down for the etymology of fable

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fable

Hi rainee,

I was not trying to say that a parable is a fictious tale in the manner of a fable.

I was just suggesting that the original root suffix for parable was the same one used for fable (instrument) and was not the suffix used for parabola (throwing) as is commonly stated.

A parable uses an actual account as a teaching tool (-bula, instrument) based on the ability to draw parallels (para-, along side) between the actual account and the subject matter of the lesson that is being taught with that account.

rainee

Hi rainee,

I was not trying to say that a parable is a fictious tale in the manner of a fable.

I was just suggesting that the original root suffix for parable was the same one used for fable (instrument) and was not the suffix used for parabola (throwing) as is commonly stated.

A parable uses an actual account as a teaching tool (-bula, instrument) based on the ability to draw parallels (para-, along side) between the actual account and the subject matter of the lesson that is being taught with that account.

Dear One,
I fear you are saying this crazy stuff just because you must somehow know how much i love getting into this stuff!

So I feel guilty even playing.

The sort and simple of course is: No.
And that is a Nyet, Nine and Nay kind of No.

The thing about people who either work, study or have as a hobby this kind of language stuff is that they are kind of buttheaded about the subject.

So please come back to parable - it shares with "emblem."
Think about that.
Do you see?

These words are not really about drama, or literature - they are about the thought and understanding of something's meaning. The entertainment of story telling is not in play. So the focus is not on the "instrument" but on what is the meaning of or in the parable or emblem.
Now I am saying this from my point of view but for the record, the consensus of all those bookworms and brainiacs who look at word origins pretty much agree on this word's past.

So the exact literal break down implies that some thing is "thrown" "a long side" something. And if not for that something, nothing would have been thrown .. Lol. Am I not clear as a bell?

So "devil" breaks down to "throw across" which is thought provoking for me.
I guess and have no teacher telling me anything so I just picture there is like someone hurling accusations as a form of attacking.

"Emblem" is about something being "thrown into".
How do you like that? We have to look at it to see what meaning was thrown into it. Bizarre O.

"Ballistics" yep, all about throwing and things that throw, right?

"Ballroom" "Ballet" "Grand Ball" - they think these came from a cousin that meant dance because Greek dance was according to some a very physical activity and so "throwing the body."

And night night :)

rainee

Ok ok I'm back
I gotta go but "parabola" deserves to have something said - maybe y'all will tolerate me trying to say something tomorrow.
But for now please consider this - the existence of "parable" was powerful enough to travel through Latin and came to mean "word" and hence "speech" as seen in the French word "parly" (got that from the online etymology dictionary)

rainee

Morning!
I had a night thinking about - of all things the meaning of "devil."
Picture this: throwing a spear, throwing a javelin, drawing a bow to throw an arrow..

Well I think those are what the ancient Greeks were thinking. I had said "hurling" but what if it is not just accusations that are being thrown?

Ephesians 6:10-17

10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might.
11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil.
12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
13 Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.
14 Stand firm therefore, having girded your loins with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness,
15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16 in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.
17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

I could be wrong but I think the word devil is focused on war-like attacking known and seen among the fights of soldiers by ancient Greeks.

And last but not least my apology for giving "parabola" such a hard time. I love Websters as well as other dictionaries and know they are very professional. I have a small collection of very old ones even.

So when summer gets here go out and get the garden hose.

Yes, you probably already know this but I have to say it:
Point the water hose upward at a number of different angles and shoot the water.

That curved arch of the water is probably making a parabola - every single time - perfectly - no matter what angle you shoot.

I think even if you hold it straight up it will make a tiny one in between the water going up and the water coming down.

Math and nature, love each other. sigh.

But if you think about it - "parabola" therefore implies a moment, a place or position, where there is a perfect, equal, "sameness" between the throwing up (sorry) and the coming down.
And that is very good for the word "parable"

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/parabola

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I had a night thinking about - of all things the meaning of "devil."
Picture this: throwing a spear, throwing a javelin, drawing a bow to throw an arrow..

The devil is pictured with a bow.

And I saw and behold a white horse and he that sat on him had a bow, and a crown was given unto him and he went forth conquering and to conquer. (Revelation 6:2)​

And thus the Nicolaitans whom Jesus detests. (Revelation 2:6)

rainee

The devil is pictured with a bow.

And I saw and behold a white horse and he that sat on him had a bow, and a crown was given unto him and he went forth conquering and to conquer. (Revelation 6:2)​

And thus the Nicolaitans whom Jesus detests. (Revelation 2:6)

Hi Jamie,
I don't work with Revelation nor have I been taught anything (that I totally accept) about it. So I am just a blank slate on that part of your post :)

But I would like to say that the ancient Greek words with these amazing basic meanings I think have parts that are derivative from Sanskrit, you know what I mean? So the words most primitive and basic meanings are older than the Book of Revelation.