Logic and Reason

jsanford108

To begin, are there any atheists who post here? I honestly have not seen any. It surprises me, just because the atheists of today (who love Hitchens and Dawkins) seem to want to infiltrate anything religious in attempts to bring it down or belittle it. Not that I welcome or encourage such behavior; but the lack thereof has been surprising.

It is my opinion, that we should analyze all things. Whether that be science or faith. A blind acceptance of anything as fact, while initial is fine, prolonged though leads to hypocrisy and a loss of reason. It is through scrutiny and criticism that we grow in knowledge. Anyone would immediately agree with this when it comes to science. But we should also do the same with our faith. This is how we grow.

The Bible should be viewed as a history book first, and a religious book second. Especially when discussing it with non-theists. Granted, in this atmosphere, we can skip straight to accepting it as a religious book. Yet, even then, we should apply a skeptical and questioning mindset. Doing so helps us better defend our faith. A person who has never questioned the story of Noah/flood cannot adequately defend it against naysayers. To examine it and study it with an open mind, and critically, can lead one to a plethora of truths and possibilities.

In closing, I am just encouraging all to grow in the knowledge of God, Christ, the Scriptures, etc. To be willing to apply the same level and eye of criticism against one's own doctrines and beliefs. Faith and religion are where philosophy, science, mathematics, logic, physics, and a variety of other subjects can abound in harmony and unity. It is when we close our mind to logic and reason when discussions and debates falter into squabbles and trivial insults.

Jerry Shugart

The Bible should be viewed as a history book first, and a religious book second.

Greetings jsanford!

I must disagree with what you said there. The Bible, especially the gospel, contains the facts which result in our salvation. When we hear and believe the gospel which comes in power and in the Holy Spirit and in much "assurance" (1 Thess.1:5) then we have the evidence of these things which are not seen:

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen"
(Heb.11:1).​

Saving faith is a result of the power of God:

"That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God" (1 Cor.2:5).​

We know the things written in the Bible are true because the Lord has given us an "understanding" of these things:

"And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life" (1 Jn.5:20).​

We "know" that we have been given eternal life:

"And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son"
(1 Jn.5:11).​

We know that we will never perish because the Lord Jesus said this about those to whom He gives eternal life:

"And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand" (Jn.10:28).​

We KNOW that we enjoy eternal security!

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
To begin, are there any atheists who post here?
Yep.
You will find them in almost any thread about science.
Theology wise, most don't do well because it usually ends up with one disrespecting GOD by comments like:

you're imaginary old man in the sky

nothing but a myth

superstitious nonsense​

You get the picture.
TOL doesn't cotton to that kind of talk from anyone.
So they usually get the boot.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I must disagree with what you said there. The Bible, especially the gospel, contains the facts which result in our salvation.

However, an untold number of people received salvation long before Moses, and their salvation is just as good as anyone's.

The Word of the LORD has been around a long time.

Jerry Shugart

However, an untold number of people received salvation long before Moses, and their salvation is just as good as anyone's.

The Word of the LORD has been around a long time.

I never denied that. I was speaking about how a person is saved now.

jsanford108

Hello there Jerry, good to see you again. With the view I presented of the Bible being a history book/religious book, that was more for discussions with secular people. Obviously in this forum, we accept the Bible as Truth.
As always, I enjoy your comments, Jerry. Thanks for joining this thread.