Lindsey Graham: As president I would deploy the military against Congress

Tinark

Yes, you heard that right. Here are Graham's exact words:

And here's the first thing I would do if I were president of the United States. I wouldn't let Congress leave town until we fix this. I would literally use the military to keep them in if I had to. We're not leaving town until we restore these defense cuts. We are not leaving town until we restore the intel cuts.

Graham would use the military to force members of Congress to not just vote on the bill — but to pass it. Graham didn't say "until I get an up-or-down vote on restoring defense cuts." He said "until we restore these defense cuts."

In other words, Graham is proposing that his first act as president would be to use the military to force the legislative branch to pass his agenda.

Is Senator Graham announcing his plans for a self-coup?

If taken literally, Graham is basically announcing his plan to stage a coup: he is saying that if he gains control of the executive branch, he will use his authority as commander in chief to overcome the separation of powers and force the legislative branch to do his bidding, instead of allowing it to act as an independent branch of the government.

Political scientists often refer to that type of action as a "self-coup," a situation in which a legitimate leader uses the military or other armed force to unlawfully seize more power than is permitted under the constitution of the country in question. Usually that's a permanent seizure of power and a total shutdown of the legislature, so what Graham is proposing is a relatively mild version. But as silver linings go, "it's a coup, but only a small one" isn't very comforting.

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/11/8193751/lindsey-graham-military-coup

Sitamun

Is it possible that he's just too stupid to understand just exactly what he said? I don't know. I'm confronted every single day with new levels of stupidity I guess.

shagster01

He did use the word "literally." So he either intends on doing just that, or he's a liar.

And Republicanchick has stated over and over to me that Republicans aren't liars, so I'm going to have to assume he is running for Dictator of the United States of America.

shagster01

He did use the word "literally." So he either intends on doing just that, or he's a liar.

And Republicanchick has stated over and over to me that Republicans aren't liars, so I'm going to have to assume he is running for Dictator of the United States of America.

Oh, nevermind. . . Apparently he is just a republican liar.

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/11/8193751...-military-coup

Update: Graham's spokesperson has clarified to Bloomberg that when Graham said "I would literally use the military to keep them in if I had to," that statement was "not to be taken literally." Glad that's been cleared up.

OCTOBER23

TINARK said,

I wouldn't let Congress leave town until we fix this.
------------------------------------------------------
High Noon we are a fixin' to Hang 'em High Pardner

and see their Raw Hides swaying in the Wayward Wind.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Rollin', rollin', rollin'
Rollin', rollin', rollin'

Keep movin', movin', movin'
Though they're disapprovin'
Keep them doggies movin'
Rawhide!
Don't try to understand 'em
Just rope and throw and brand 'em
Soon we'll be living high and wide.
My heart's calculatin'
My true love will be waitin'
Be waiting at the end of my ride.

Move 'em on, head 'em up
Head 'em up, move 'em on
Move 'em on, head 'em up
Rawhide!
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in
Ride 'em in, let 'em out
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in
Rawhide!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSHr4ubuD64

Last edited:

Buzzword

Being from Oklahoma, I stopped being surprised at Republican stupidity a long time ago.

This is just the GOP trying to outdo its own previous insanity, because they are apparently determined to plow off the cliff at the extreme conservative end of the political spectrum.

Aimiel

Military personnel are only required to follow lawful orders. Directing or otherwise interfering with Congressmen would not be such. They simply would advise the President that they could not be deployed in such manner. The proposal is even more ridiculous than it appears at face-value.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Obama is doing it right now. You don't complain about that you hypocrite.