ECT Ligonier After Darkness Light 2015 Conference Q & A Sessions

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Q&A Sessions from the Ligonier After Darkness, Light 2015 Conference available for viewing here:

First Q&A Session Here:

http://www.ligonier.org/learn/confe...-national-conference/questions-and-answers-1/

Sinclair Ferguson, Steven Lawson, Russell Moore, and R.C. Sproul answer questions on topics such as why Adam sinned, the importance of creeds and confessions in the church, how we can know if our worship music is pleasing to God, and more.

Questions (see approximate starting times shown below):

1. If Adam was born free from evil and sin, why did he sin? (00:05)
2. If God is sovereign, what is the purpose of intercessory prayer? (02:20)
3. Is it important that a church subscribe to a confession (such as the Westminster Confession of Faith)? Why or why not? (04:39)
4. What parts of the law are still relevant to us today? (06:57)
5. Why are people so hostile to the doctrine of election? (11:48)
6. Is it a sin to be angry with God? (15:37)
7. Can you still be a Christian if you do not believe that Scripture is the inerrant and infallible Word? (17:39)
8. How can we objectively determine if our worship music is pleasing to God? (22:50)
9. How does one react to being declared homophobic before being able to show love to friends or family who have “come out” as homosexual? (34:29)
10. What has been the best work you have found on the subject of theodicy, if any? (45:15)
What is the gospel? (51:54)

Second Q&A Session Here:

http://www.ligonier.org/learn/confe...-national-conference/questions-and-answers-2/

Kevin DeYoung, Robert Godfrey, Stephen Nichols, R.C. Sproul, and R.C. Sproul Jr. answer questions on topics such as modern advancements in medical technology, children who die in infancy, what Heaven will be like, and more.

Questions (see approximate starting times shown below):

1. Considering that Coptic Christians believe Jesus had only one nature (monophysites), can we consider them Christians? (00:30)
2. With all of the advancements in medical care in helping to keep people alive, what is the Christian’s responsibility in accepting these medical advances? Can a Christian say no to medical treatment or do we have the responsibility to seek any and all treatment available? (06:00)
3. How do I faithfully keep the 5th commandment when I have two mothers instead of a father and a mother? (09:13)
4. Are women who profess to be Christians, but proceed with an abortion on the promise of forgiveness, truly saved? (15:03)
5. What do we say to a mother who has lost her child in infancy when she asks, “is my child in Heaven?” (24:53)
6. My teenage daughter stated, “how boring heaven must be if all we are doing there is worship God.” It was a thought and statement that took my breath away. What do you think heaven will be like? (27:32)
7. We are told to obey our government. Was it sinful for Tyndale to translate and print the Bible? (33:23)
8. If the devil is not omnipresent, how much of our sin is a result of our sinful nature as opposed to temptations of the devil? (35:07)
9. Since Jesus received our punishment, why do Christians still receive punishment for sins they commit? For example, why would a Christian become sick or die for not judging themselves rightly before communion (1 Cor. 11)? (36:10)
10. Sadly, I do not have a great love for my fellow man. I do not have a great fear for the lost. I tell myself that I love God, and want to serve and please Him. Am I fooling myself on my salvation? (42:25)
11. I am in leadership at a very traditional Baptist church. My pastor knows of my Reformed leanings. How can I best serve my church while pushing and praying for reformation? (48:38)

All the sessions from the conference can be viewed, too. For example, this one is worth a viewing:

http://www.ligonier.org/learn/conferences/after-darkness-light-2015-national-conference/a-puny-god/

AMR

Last edited:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I listened to is and there is no difference between my concept of God and the one preached; they are the same. The difference would be in his ability to speak well. have the biggest God I can imagine, raised to the power of infinity, which I cannot imagine, nor can anyone imagine it.

I would amswer the questions, being the hour is late and I am confident your own answers would be close to mine, and again, better explained, yet they are really the same.

Cross Reference

Paul gives Timothy indications of the right lines of work: he is to concentrate on the deposit of truth conveyed by the words of Scripture. As a preacher never have as your ideal the desire to be an orator or a beautiful speaker; if you do, you will not be of the slightest use.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Paul gives Timothy indications of the right lines of work: he is to concentrate on the deposit of truth conveyed by the words of Scripture. As a preacher never have as your ideal the desire to be an orator or a beautiful speaker; if you do, you will not be of the slightest use.
:idunno:

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes. I understand.

Perhaps if you revisit your stilted English (see your poorly constructed second sentence) or your importation of Timothy in your original post, update its grammar and/or elaborating I may understand the point you are making.

AMR

Cross Reference

Perhaps if you revisit your stilted English (see your poorly constructed second sentence) or your importation of Timothy in your original post, update its grammar and/or elaborating I may understand the point you are making.

AMR

I don't wish to endure what it might require of me to understand your 'Picasso' verbiage. If I felt otherwise, I might consider a rewrite of my post.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I shall answer one with simple quick response, yet I know they would rather have more discourse. See if we agree?

1. Considering that Coptic Christians believe Jesus had only one nature (monophysites), can we consider them Christians? (00:30)
No
2. With all of the advancements in medical care in helping to keep people alive, what is the Christian’s responsibility in accepting these medical advances?
No
Can a Christian say no to medical treatment or do we have the responsibility to seek any and all treatment available? (06:00)
No
3. How do I faithfully keep the 5th commandment when I have two mothers instead of a father and a mother? (09:13)
Hard question because the mother, is living in sin?
4. Are women who profess to be Christians, but proceed with an abortion on the promise of forgiveness, truly saved? (15:03)
No
5. What do we say to a mother who has lost her child in infancy when she asks, “is my child in Heaven?” (24:53)It would be polite to say yes, although I am not sure? A baby, I think yes, baptized or not. My early church teaching disagrees.

6. My teenage daughter stated, “how boring heaven must be if all we are doing there is worship God.” It was a thought and statement that took my breath away. What do you think heaven will be like? (27:32)
LOL! Hard to answer, as I can see the misunderstanding in one very young.

7. We are told to obey our government. Was it sinful for Tyndale to translate and print the Bible? (33:23)
No
8. If the devil is not omnipresent, how much of our sin is a result of our sinful nature as opposed to temptations of the devil? (35:07)
Most all sin come from our sin nature.
9. Since Jesus received our punishment, why do Christians still receive punishment for sins they commit? For example, why would a Christian become sick or die for not judging themselves rightly before communion (1 Cor. 11)? (36:10)
Jesus washed away the sin of Adam and beyond that it is our commitment in believing all salvation come through Christ.
10. Sadly, I do not have a great love for my fellow man. I do not have a great fear for the lost. I tell myself that I love God, and want to serve and please Him. Am I fooling myself on my salvation? (42:25)
Yes
11. I am in leadership at a very traditional Baptist church. My pastor knows of my Reformed leanings. How can I best serve my church while pushing and praying for reformation? (48:38)
By example