Knight's POTD 07-19-2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Holy Smack Batman!!!! This is classic!!!

POSTED BY POLY!!!!

Hilston said:
Where is the evidence that Augustine was uncomfortable responding to this letter? Please provide the link.

When somebody says one thing as true, is known to proclaim that one thing as true, and is then faced with hard evidence of it not being true, it might tend to make a person a little uncomfortable. In my opinion, I think that's why he does a lot of unnecessary babbling earlier in the letter, like going to great lengths to describe our senses as if it helped his case. And who could blame him? After all, he knew he was leading up to....

... this Word of God, I say, took to Himself, in a manner entirely different from that in which He is present to other creatures, the soul and body of a man, and made, by the union of Himself therewith, the one person Jesus Christ, Mediator between God and men, His Deity equal with the Father, in His flesh, i.e. in His human nature, inferior to the Father, unchangeably immortal in respect of the divine nature, in which He is equal with the Father, and yet changeable and mortal in respect of the infirmity which was His through participation with our nature. (letter 137)

when in one of his most famous books, he had emphatically declared....

For that before all times and above all times Thy Only-Begotten Son remaineth unchangeable. (Confessions chap. 7)

Hilston said:
I've never read a quote where Augustine affirmed unqualified immutability. If you have one, please produce it. He wrote a lot of stuff. I might have missed it.

"Thou, oh Lord, the true God, who madest not only our souls, but our bodies, and not only our souls and bodies, but all beings and all things wert undefiable and unalterable and in no degree mutable."

Hilston said:
It gets old because you refuse to comprehend it, and are thus ill-equipped to debate it.

No, it gets old because you persistantly expect others to accept craziness like....

white is black
clean is dirty
up is down
freewill is predestinated will

and then try to make everybody else who doesn't "get it" look like they're the weird ones.

Hilston said:
"... this just gets old" translates: "I'm tired of not having an adequate answer and I wish Hilston would just go away."

No, I don't think you should go away. It's good to have you around so that others who are intellectually honest can see the absurdity of your theology.

Hilston said:
Even if you were to find a quote that says "I, Augustine, believe in unqualified immutability," then all you've proven is that Augustine contradicted himself.

Nice how you threw this in so that just incase I did find one, you might not look quite as bad or have to eat as much crow.

Of course he contradicted himself. He did so everytime he said, "Thou, oh Lord, art loving and true." because a loving God must be affected and you cannot be affected if you are "no degree mutable". He was a walking contradiction as is every SVer. And you're absurd for trying to claim that you understand these contradictions.
:first:

context

Last edited:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Whoa... I got a POTD??

Thanks, Knight! :eek:

Even if you didn't want anybody to know it was for me. :noid:

;)

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Ridiculously brilliant post Polly!!!

I especially loved this part...

"No, it gets old because you persistently expect others to accept craziness like....

white is black
clean is dirty
up is down
freewill is predestinated will

and then try to make everybody else who doesn't "get it" look like they're the weird ones. "

Great, great stuff!

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Knight said:
I don't know what you mean... :confused: :noid:

:noway: