Knight's pick 12-30-2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Zakath
Originally posted by Sealeaf
Now that our federal health agencies have failed in their promise to the American people that they would keep Mad Cow Disease out of the American beef herd, what garrantee would you accept that the beef in our stores is indeed safe to eat? They say it is safe, but they have demonstrated how trustworthy they are.
It would appear, according to evidence I've read this morning, that the bovine in question was infected prior to the ban being enacted here in the U.S. I don't think we should reasonably blame folks for following regular procedures for something that happened before there were regulations against those procedures.

To some extent, all of civilized life's a crapshoot, Sealeaf. We decide to depend on the veracity of someone, or at least shared self-interest, or civilization would crumble.

Do I blindly accept what any organization (public or private) tells me? Usually not.

Do I have to make decisions based on information that has a reasonable chance of being correct? Yes.

So will I purchase beef in the store over the next six months? Very likely, unless something else turns up that would cause me to re-evaluate things... :think:

I propose that the Amercan Beef producers offer to pay 100% of the medical bills of anyone who gets sick from eating beef. They should also offer One Milllion dollar death benifit if anyone dies of eating US beef. If it is as safe as they say it is then they are at no risk of losing money. If the meat supply is tainted then such payment is no more than justice.
I think this is an unreasonable idea unless a court can prove malice or negligence on the part of the producer(s). Since you have no idea, nor do I, at what level BSE actually exists in the U.S. food supply, if at all, such a legal set-up could become a slippery slope that might severely damage other industries when applied in the U.S. courts.

In the mean time don't eat Beef in any form. Hot dogs and ground beef are particularly dangerous.
I will continue to eat beef until sufficient evidence convinces me to do otherwise.

Pass the steak, Ma! :chew:
:first:

[ CONTEXT ]

Status
Not open for further replies.