Knight's Pick 12-06-2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer
Originally posted by Hilston
So will now stop saying God is infinite, since you claim that God has limits? The following is a TRUE contradiction, Clete, unlike compatibilism. It's not a tension. It's not merely a philosophical antinomy. It's a blatant, glaring, salient, prominent contradiction:

God is infinite.
God has limits.

Con.Tra.Dic.Shun.
You simply do not understand the concept of infinity Jim. You obviously think that you do, but you definitely do not.

If you have an infinite set of numbers, must it include the number 21?
No! Absolutely not! Don't believe me?

• How many even numbers are there?
  • How many prime numbers are there?
  • How many negative numbers are there?
  • How many numbers are there between 0 and 1?
  • How many numbers are there between 1 and 2?

There are 5 different sets of numbers that I just came up with off the top of my head that are all both limited in that they do not include every possible number and yet are all infinite in extent. (There is actually more than 5 sets. In fact, there are an infinite number of sets which do not include the number 21.)
In fact, you know that a set of anything (numbers, grains of sand, time, space, size, power etc) is infinite if you can remove some of its elements without reducing its number or size or volume or whatever. That's how you know. The very definition of infinity belies the stance you've taken on this issue. By its very nature, something does not have to include everything in order to be infinite, that's how we know that it is infinite.

Now, can you as clearly and without logical incoherence explain how compatibilism isn't contradictory as I have with the ideas of infinity and limitation? Or will you now stop saying...
"We also understand that we are responsible for our decisions and actions because, while God did indeed decree these, He also commands us to strive for obedience in spite of our sin natures, and has empowered us through His Holy Spirit to obey. Our own inability to fully comprehend the tension in the facts doesn't preclude us for worshipfully acknowledging and believing them to be true."

Resting in Him,
Clete
BRILLIANT! :first:

[ context ]

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Thanks Knight!

It's been a while since I've gotten a POTD!

It still shocks the heck out of me, every time!

I'm very honored, thank you very much!

Resting in Him,
Clete

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

Thanks Knight!

It's been a while since I've gotten a POTD!

It still shocks the heck out of me, every time!

I'm very honored, thank you very much!

Resting in Him,
Clete
When I read your post all I could think of was that Guinness Beer commercial where the two weird cartoon characters keep saying....

"BRILLIANT"

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Knight,

It is hilarious. It's so far off the mark and practically irrelevant. Comparing God to abstract numerical set theory? They're about as related as tire pressue is to engine repair.

Hilston

Hall of Fame
But I did like it, to answer your question. It got a very big kick out of it.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Knight,

It is hilarious. It's so far off the mark and practically irrelevant. Comparing God to abstract numerical set theory? They're about as related as tire pressue is to engine repair.
Hilston you got to be kidding?

You are kidding right? :confused:

Because..... Clete wasn't comparing God to a set of numbers. Clete was showing you that certain infinite things have obvious exclusions i.e. limitations.

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Knight

Hilston you got to be kidding?

You are kidding right? :confused:

Because..... Clete wasn't comparing God to a set of numbers. Clete was showing you that certain infinite things have obvious exclusions i.e. limitations.
Just because you can conceptually exclude discrete entities from an infinite set says nothing about making exclusions concerning the infinitude of the properties of God. With all due respect to Clete, whom I've grown very fond of, he doesn't appear to know what he's talking about. If he understands concepts of infinitude, then he's holding back, because what he shared has little or nothing to do with God, or any description of God, or any properties of God. Actual and potential infinity are conceptual and abstract only. Transfinite numbers and set theory are useful in mathematical computations and can be mathematically modeled, but these concepts of infinity are as irrelevant to the subject of God as tire pressure is to engine performance.

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Knight

Uh.... is that really a word? :D
I probably made that one up. :eek:

Actually, it is a word. It just means "quality or state of being infinite : infiniteness." :devil:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

I probably made that one up. :eek:

Actually, it is a word. It just means "quality or state of being infinite : infiniteness." :devil:
I was hoping you made it up.

It sorta sounds like a surfer dude talking about God's infinite character.

"Whoa dude.... God is like infinitude man. "

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Great post, Clete!

I'm also not too sure Sozo should be so happy that Hilston said he was right.:chuckle:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Wow! This thread has seen some action since I saw it last! Thanks everyone for your kind words!

Jim,

The number sets only served as an obvious example that was both easy to understand and easy to put into words. ANYTHING that is infinite will display the same property that I was discussing, that property being the one where if you removed any portion of something that is infinite, what remains is still infinite. That's how you know that it's infinite, because it has this property. The point being, as Knight pointed out, that it is not necessary to presume that because something is infinite, it is without any exclusion. You just cannot make that assumption based simply on the fact that something is infinite. All-inclusive and infinite are not synonyms.

Resting in Him,
Clete

P.S. I intend to repost this later this morning in the other thread so you don't have to respond here unless you just feel like do it in both places.

Status
Not open for further replies.