Knight's DISGUSTING POTD 2-7-2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Real Sorcerer. How about when you return from your vacation you admit you were wrong to make such a stupid remark. Yes you should regret saying it.

Real Sorceror

stipe said:
Real Sorcerer. How about when you return from your vacation you admit you were wrong to make such a stupid remark. Yes you should regret saying it.
I'm agianst murder and rape, as I always have been. However, I still retian my moral relativist views. Sorry to dissapoint.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Real Sorceror said:
I'm agianst murder and rape, as I always have been. However, I still retian my moral relativist views. Sorry to dissapoint.
:jawdrop: Contradiction. If you retain your moral relativist views then you must agree that murder and rape are morally justifiable in certain times, places and circumstances.

Can't have it both ways, muchacho.

Real Sorceror

Frank Ernest said:
:jawdrop: Contradiction. If you retain your moral relativist views then you must agree that murder and rape are morally justifiable in certain times, places and circumstances.
Yes, and? How is that a contradiction? I'm agianst murder and rape. If you wanna tack on "except in certian times, places, and circumstances", go for it. I personally cannot fathom a situation in which I would be in favor of rape, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

GuySmiley

Real Sorceror said:
Yes, and? How is that a contradiction? I'm agianst murder and rape. If you wanna tack on "except in certian times, places, and circumstances", go for it. I personally cannot fathom a situation in which I would be in favor of rape, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
But what if a guy wants to rape a woman, just because he thinks its fun. You'd say you are against that action. But he says its the right thing to do. Is he wrong?

Real Sorceror

GuySmiley said:
But what if a guy wants to rape a woman, just because he thinks its fun. You'd say you are against that action. But he says its the right thing to do. Is he wrong?
From my perspective hes wrong, and I'd attempt to stop him.

GuySmiley

Real Sorceror said:
From my perspective hes wrong, and I'd attempt to stop him.
Then you also think your relative morals are more important that his. Hmmm. . .

This is a serious question. You can't even say that raping someone just for fun is wrong. Does that make you pause at all and consider your worldview? Or are you just ok with that?

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Real Sorceror said:
Yes, and? How is that a contradiction? I'm agianst murder and rape.
Are you making a statement for absolute morality?
If you wanna tack on "except in certian times, places, and circumstances", go for it.
Now there's a crude attempt to attribute your argument to me personally. Nice evasion/try, but relative morality is one of your ideas, not mine.
I personally cannot fathom a situation in which I would be in favor of rape, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
What does the "existence" of rape have to do with it?

From the above, I can understand why you don't recognize your own contradictions. Now,

Is Rape Wrong at all times, and in all places and circumstances? Yes or No.
Is Murder Wrong at all times, and in all places and circumstances? Yes or No.

Real Sorceror

Frank Ernest said:
Are you making a statement for absolute morality?
Hardly. Are you misreading my posts? Maybe a little?
What does the "existence" of rape have to do with it?
Not what I said. I said I cannot fathom a situation, but that doesn't mean it (the situation) doesn't exist.
Is Rape Wrong at all times, and in all places and circumstances? Yes or No.
Given all possible circumstances? No, although, as I said, I can't think of what that circumstance might be.
Is Murder Wrong at all times, and in all places and circumstances? Yes or No.
No.

Real Sorceror

GuySmiley said:
Then you also think your relative morals are more important that his. Hmmm. . .
We are forgeting someone here. In this situation, there are actually three people involved. Theres me (the observer), theres the man (the rapist), and theres the woman (the victem). The woman, by definition, does not want to be violated. I just happen to agree with the woman, and I do not want her to be violated.
This is a serious question. You can't even say that raping someone just for fun is wrong.
Sure I can. Rape is wrong. Do you really consider every possible circumstance when you make absolute statements? Of course not, nobody does.
For example, I hate cherry coke. And yet, if I where dying of thirst in the desert, I could really go for some cherry coke. But why would I consider such an unlikely circumstance when I made my earlier statement?
In my current state of mind, rape is wrong. It would take a massive shift in my thinking for that to change, but it is possible.
Does that make you pause at all and consider your worldview? Or are you just ok with that?
Doesn't phase me a bit, although it clearly is disturbing to moral absolutists.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Real Sorceror said:
Hardly. Are you misreading my posts? Maybe a little?
No. I understand your posts quite clearly.
Not what I said. I said I cannot fathom a situation, but that doesn't mean it (the situation) doesn't exist.
Copntradicts that rule that "if I don't perceive it, it cannot exist."
Given all possible circumstances? No, although, as I said, I can't think of what that circumstance might be.
Why not?
Great! Another "I was against it before I was for it" argument. Let's sum up. Muder and rape are immoral because you are personally against them. BUT, there may be times, places and circumstances where murder and rape are morally justifiable.

That about right? (See! I correctly read everything you posted.)

Real Sorceror

Frank Ernest said:
Copntradicts that rule that "if I don't perceive it, it cannot exist."
Not what I said, but thats alright. You seem to have fun twisting things around, so I'll leave you to it.
Do you sit around thinking of situations in which you would find rape morally justifiable? I don't.
Great! Another "I was against it before I was for it" argument. Let's sum up. Murder and rape are immoral because you are personally against them. BUT, there may be times, places and circumstances where murder and rape are morally justifiable.
There you go. Glad you could riddle that out.
(See! I correctly read everything you posted.)
Sure.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Real Sorceror said:
Not what I said, but thats alright. You seem to have fun twisting things around, so I'll leave you to it.
:darwinsm: Not me doing the twisting, RS.
Do you sit around thinking of situations in which you would find rape morally justifiable? I don't.
You did imply there were, but now you don't think about it. The question was to you. It was not rhetorical.
There you go. Glad you could riddle that out.

Sure.
Seems that relative morality is rather confusing. I suspect that is the rationale for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.