kmoney, what gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I have news for you. TOL is not like the other 99.99+% of the world.
Thanks, but I'm already aware of that. :chuckle:

People send their kids to public school by default. Most people never even consider homeschooling their kids, and they think that homeschoolers are backwards. They make sure to buy homes in "good districts." And though they think that there may be some public schools that are dangerous, they think that their kids go to a really good one, that the things we talk about couldn't happen at their kids' school, and that everything will be okay because they are "involved." They are so entrenched in this way of thinking that we have to beat them over the head with a 2x4 just to get their attention a little bit to warn them about the danger they are putting their kids in.

The same goes for evolution. From the schools, the news media, Discovery Channel, PBS... EVERYWHERE we hear that evolution/big bang/billions of years is all well-proven fact. The only reason anyone would believe in a recently created Earth/universe is because they are religious wing-nuts with a blind devotion to their Holy Book, and they reject science. That's what I used to think, and I NEVER heard the other side of the story, because it is distorted if not altogether silenced in all those outlets I mentioned. Take the media coverage of the new Creation Museum as an example. Every article about it in the secular media quotes from Ph.D'ed evolutionists expressing their dismay that only one side is being presented (as though that weren't the case at other museums) and that Creationism rejects/ignores/runs contrary to science and is strictly religious. Then, in the name of objective reporting, they quote someone who likes the museum. So do they get a soundbite from a Creationist with an advanced degree in some scientific field? No, they get some church pastor to praise the museum. Thus they reinforce the myth that Evolution/old earth=science and evidence and Creation/young earth=religion and [blind] faith.

So, TOL is one of the few places where Creationists and home schoolers, while perhaps still in the minority here, have a voice and use it :sozo:.
I agree that in both of those cases people have the perception that homeschooling and Creatoinism are both for "weirdos" or for the ignorant. People take public schooling and evolution for granted. And I don't mind people on TOL using their voice to support Creationism or homeschooling.

Have you read an evolution/creation thread lately? Or ever? There's a lot more ridicule than substance from the evolutionists, and boy do they like to pile it on bob b, God bless him!
I don't spend much time in those threads but I do see bob b getting bashed sometimes and I don't support it. And just to clarify, when talking about one side being ridiculed more than the other, the topic I have in mind is mainly the schooling issue. Like I said, I don't spend much time in the evolution/creation threads so I'm not sure if there is a lot of mocking/ridicule going on from either side. I see some, but I don't know the extent of it. I wouldn't want bob b getting mocked any more than I would want bob b mocking the other side.

But that aside, consider the way the rest of the world, outside of TOL, bashes homeschoolers, Creationists, etc. and ask yourself which side is ridiculed the most? The Devil surely doesn't need your help, kmoney.
The context I'm dealing with is TOL.

But, if you lean toward evolution being right, and you will likely send your children to public school, are you really playing devil's advocate on those issues or are you just expressing your actual views (and maybe hiding behind the "devil's advocate" excuse to try to stay on our good side)? I don't remember you ever coming to the pro-aborts' defense, for instance, when they've gotten thrashed here (thankfully).
Like I said, I wasn't sure what to call it and maybe "devil's adovocate" isn't the best way to describe it. I'm not a fanatic for homeschooling or Creationism so yes, partly I am expressing my actual views.

Last edited:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Why "they" and not "we"? Why do you distance yourself from them and their position, which you seem to understand quite well?
I may understand the position but that doesn't mean I would join myself with that position.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I may understand the position but that doesn't mean I would join myself with that position.

I know that. (You basically just restated what I had said.) What I'm asking is, why not?

Cracked

kmoney, if you have kids someday, do you think you will most likely home-school them, send them to private school, or send them to public school?

*butting in*
Ah! Cutting to the quick I see... a 'true' Christian could only answer this one way ... :rolleyes:
*butting out*
:angel:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
*butting in*
Ah! Cutting to the quick I see... a 'true' Christian could only answer this one way ... :rolleyes:
*butting out*
:angel:

That question had nothing to do with whether kmoney is a "'true' Christian." It was just a way to find out where he truly stands on the public/private/home school issue.

Cracked

That question had nothing to do with whether kmoney is a "'true' Christian." It was just a way to find out where he truly stands on the public/private/home school issue.

You linked creationism to home schooling in an effort to do what? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.