Not open for further replies.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Quote:
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset;"> Originally Posted by Untellectual
Not at all. He has not ceased from His work.

Genesis 2:2 By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.

Genesis 2:3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.Not directly.

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Ok - you said that God did not cease from His work, then quote two verses that says He did. Can you like 'splain that some?

What about:

Quote:
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset;"> Luke 23:56 Then they returned and prepared spices and perfumes. And on the Sabbath they rested according to the commandment. </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
I am not sure what that has to do with keeping the Sabbath today. How about the reason they kept the Sabbath in that verse is because they were not aware that the Sabbath had ceased? I was thinking about Luke 24 when Jesus had to explain that He has fulfilled all the Law and Prophets because they did not understand.

Quote:
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset;"> Well, maybe nobody thought God's commands had come to an end. Jesus seemed to say they would not. Matthew 5:17-20. </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
I think Jesus was saying there that they would not come to an end until all was fulfilled. Then later, as we read in Luke 24, He said He did fulfill them all. Do you have a different understanding of that?

And curiously, the NT never teaches to keep any of the commandments after Christ's resurrection. Do you find that odd? Even the 4 commandments in Acts 15 are not all found in the Law of Moses.

Quote:
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset;"> Correct, not exactly. But why were they saying that Moses is read in the synagogues every sabbath if it was the alternative they had to accepting what the (sect of the) circumcision crowd was saying?Because I don't think they were saying therefore we should not keep the sabbath. </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Well, when I read Acts 15, the four laws were the sum total of what was to be kept. It was the "end of the matter according to the apostles. It seems kind of strange to me that if the Sabbath was that important, it would have been included, don't you think?

I have hi-lighted some of the phrases that I think are important:

Act 15:23 And they wrote letters by them after this manner; The apostles and elders and brethren send greeting unto the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia:
Act 15:24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:
Act 15:25 It seemed good unto us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men unto you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,
Act 15:26 Men that have hazarded their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Act 15:27 We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who shall also tell you the same things by mouth.
Act 15:28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
Act 15:29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

Act 15:30 So when they were dismissed, they came to Antioch: and when they had gathered the multitude together, they delivered the epistle:
Act 15:31 Which when they had read, they rejoiced for the consolation.

Act 15:32 And Judas and Silas, being prophets also themselves, exhorted the brethren with many words, and confirmed them.

Do you see what I see there, or actually what's not there!!!? No mention of the Sabbath, only the 4 laws - which were reiterated in Acts 21:25!

Quote:
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset;"> These days Jesus may not be preached in all the synagogues. But those days people did not think of Moses as serving a different God.:):)That's an interpretation that some people have. I don't know that it is wrong. </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Moses was until Christ :thumb: If you look at Heb 3 - the verses I quoted before, it says that Moses was a pattern of what was to come, but Jesus house was greater. What does that mean to you?

How about the Mt of Transfiguration - who did God say to listen to? Moses was there, Elijah was there, but God said - listen to My Son!!!!!

Synagogues, in the time of the first century, were overseen by the Pharisees and Scribes. They hated Christ, right? They plotted His death, right? So why would new believers in Christ go to a synagogue when they would not be preaching Christ, but everything that was against Him?

Let's check out what new believers and Paul did:

Act 5:42 And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.

1Co 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

1Co 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

This member is a newbie and is already turning into a truth smacker. I can certainly learn from member, as I have recently left Messianic Judaism. I don't know enough about this member yet to know if its a lady or a man behind the username, but I can certainly learn a lot from red cardinal. Congrats to the red bird. Thanks for landing on TOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.