Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditio
Yet, the sole purpose of the death penalty, at least most of the time in our modern era, is the taking of vengeance.

Do you understand the difference between justice and vengeance?

You don't.

Paul recognized the justice of the death penalty. When he was brought before the judgment seat of Festus, he said, “For if I be an offender, or have committed any thing worthy of death, I refuse not to die” (Acts 25). By this, Paul admitted that there were offenses worthy of death and that the government had the right to administer death in those cases.

He further states in Romans that the powers that be (government) are ordained by God. They act as ministers of God for good. He further warns, “But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil” (Romans 13:4) The powers that be bear the sword to execute wrath on those that do evil. What do you think these powers are going to do with the sword? Are they going to slap someone on the wrist with it? No. They are going to “execute wrath” by executing someone. They are going to administer the death penalty.
http://www.learnthebible.org/would-jesus-oppose-the-death-penalty.html

Excellent post--and polite mind you, refuting Traditio's twisted logic. You ASC haters out there are probably wanting to post wingeing about my choice.:dead: I chose it because of the quality of the post itself.

Thread will be locked to prevent whining.

Status
Not open for further replies.