Ketanji Brown Jackson Confirmed, Makes History As First Black Woman on Supreme Court

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
The Senate voted to confirm Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson as the newest member of the United States Supreme Court on Thursday, delivering on President Joe Biden’s vow to successfully nominate the first Black female associate justice in the court’s history.

The confirmation of a judge whose nomination has received broad public support nevertheless came through by a narrow vote of 53-47, a tally cut almost entirely along party lines and nearly matching the vote margins of much more controversial nominees.

Republican Sens. Susan Collins (ME), Lisa Murkowski (AK) and Mitt Romney (UT) joined their Democratic colleagues in supporting Jackson.

Jackson, who held the same seat on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia once occupied by Attorney General Merrick Garland, was long seen as the presumptive nominee for first vacancy on the court under Biden. In addition to fulfilling Biden’s campaign-era vow to “making sure there’s a Black woman on the Supreme Court,” the 51-year-old judge has a lengthy résumé as a jurist and attorney that features many of the accomplishments seen as prerequisites for a spot on the court: two degrees from Harvard University, both with honors; a Supreme Court clerkship under the justice she is now set to replace; and eight years as a district court judge following a unanimous confirmation vote in 2013. . . .

Capitol staff crowded into the Senate chamber to observe the historic vote, which was presided over by Vice President Kamala Harris, the first Black woman to serve in that office. Several members of the House Congressional Black Caucus lined the Senate floor to observe the milestone firsthand.

In her testimony before the Judiciary Committee, Jackson promised to make the principle of “Equal Justice Under Law”—the words inscribed on the edifice of the Supreme Court itself—“a reality and not just an ideal.”

“I have been a judge for nearly a decade now, and I take that responsibility, and my duty to be independent, very seriously,” Jackson said in her opening remarks before the committee in March. “I evaluate the facts, and I interpret and apply the law to the facts of the case before me without fear or favor, consistent with my judicial oath. I know that my role as a judge is a limited one.”

. . . . In addition to being the Supreme Court’s first Black woman justice—and only its third Black justice ever—Jackson breaks the mold of justices in subtler ways. A former assistant federal public defender, now the first justice since Thurgood Marshall to have worked in criminal defense, Jackson once worked to reduce disparities in drug offense sentences. In her brief tenure on the U.S. Court of Appeals—she was confirmed to her current seat last year—Jackson ruled against former President Donald Trump in his bid to block the release of White House records pertaining to the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, writing in her decision that “presidents are not kings.”

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
In addition to her other stellar qualifications, it will be very good to have a former public defender on the Supreme Court.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
As it turns out we could have had a black woman on the Supreme Court long before this, but for Joe the Racist Rapist's intervention.

Link worth reading. Argument is that it's partisan electioneering. They didn't want Republicans to nominate the first Black lady justice, and they didn't want Republicans to nominate the first Latino justice either, and when they got their chance (present day), they nominated a judge who apparently holds their party's utilitarian legal positivism moral philosophy, instead of who the Republicans would have nominated with an "originalist" philosophy, meaning the moral philosophy of the founders.

marke

Congratulations

Joe the Rapist's primary qualifications for her approval were met.

She has dark skin and a vagina.

Those were the two "stellar" qualifications that mattered MOST to the elderly white racist who nominated her.
KBJ was quite likely the despicable leaker of the SCOTUS draft that shocked the nation for its brazen depravity. But depravity does not seem to be a disqualification for judges selected by the godless democrat party.

stg032522dAPC20220324034516.jpg

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
KBJ was quite likely the despicable leaker of the SCOTUS draft that shocked the nation for its brazen depravity. But depravity does not seem to be a disqualification for judges selected by the godless democrat party.

You don't know that marke, you just want to believe it. The "despicable leaker" might end up surprising you. Might end up being white, too, much to your disappointment.

marke

You don't know that marke, you just want to believe it. The "despicable leaker" might end up surprising you. Might end up being white, too, much to your disappointment.
Here is what I suspect and I would not be hurt to be proven wrong. The leaker was someone on the left working in some capacity for or with leftist SCOTUS justices who committed the egregious crime but who will likely never be found because of the left. If the crook had been someone on the right the name of the crook would have already been released. How hard can it be to find the leaker if investigators really want to? Not very hard.