JOHN 3:16 THE SON IS GIVEN

DougE

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

God gave his only begotten Son to the world and sent Jesus from heaven so all would believe on him for everlasting life. This verse is not referring to Jesus's death on the cross in saying that God gave the Son. John was not revealing what was revealed to Paul, that Jesus would justify Jew and Gentile by the cross. God sent him into the world so all would believe in Jesus as being the Messiah, the Son of God and by believing receive eternal life and be saved to enter the kingdom on earth.

John 3:27 John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven.

God sent his Son from heaven and by believing the word and the Son one could be saved.

John 3:31 He that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: he that cometh from heaven is above all.

Jesus was sent from heaven so all would believe on him as Messiah and the Son of God for eternal life and be delivered from wrath.

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

TrevorL

Greetings again DougE,
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
God gave his only begotten Son to the world and sent Jesus from heaven so all would believe on him for everlasting life. This verse is not referring to Jesus's death on the cross in saying that God gave the Son.
Yes it is speaking about Jesus' death on the cross because the context is speaking of the serpent upon the pole, which pointed forward to the crucifixion of Jesus:
Romans 3:14-16 (KJV): 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Kind regards
Trevor

DougE

Greetings again DougE, Yes it is speaking about Jesus' death on the cross because the context is speaking of the serpent upon the pole, which pointed forward to the crucifixion of Jesus:
Romans 3:14-16 (KJV): 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Kind regards
Trevor
Hello Trevor
I will not be dogmatic in saying that John 3:16 is not speaking of his death on the cross, although we have to read that into it...Jesus elsewhere and the prophets of old testified to that, but even if it was, it does not mean it is saying that Christ died for our sins and rose for our justification or that by the cross he has reconciled Jew and Gentile.

Also what the people had to believe in the book of John 3:18 was only his name, that he was the Messiah, the Son of God for eternal life, nothing of the cross yet.

Last edited:

TrevorL

Greetings again DougE,
I will not be dogmatic in saying that John 3:16 is not speaking of his death on the cross, although we have to read that into it...Jesus elsewhere and the prophets of old testified to that, but even if it was, it does not mean it is saying that Christ died for our sins and rose for our justification or that by the cross he has reconciled Jew and Gentile.

Also what the people had to believe in the book of John 3:18 was only his name, that he was the Messiah, the Son of God for eternal life, nothing of the cross yet.
The believers needed to continue in the faith as it was being revealed in and through Christ. This includes all of his teaching during his ministry including his clear statements concerning his incipient crucifixion. The following is a clear indication of this:
John 12:32–33 (KJV): 32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me. 33 This he said, signifying what death he should die.

The context of these verses is that Jesus spoke these words towards the end of his ministry in response to the visit and faith of the Greeks and the increasing failure of the Jews to respond to his message. The Jews had heard his preaching in Matthew 5-7, they had witnessed his miracles and had heard his parables, and finally they had witnessed the resurrection of Lazarus. They had thus become increasingly blind and deaf and their hearts became hardened as predicted in Isaiah 6:9-10 as quoted by John in the following:
John 12:37–41 (KJV): 37 But though he had done so many miracles before them, yet they believed not on him: 38 That the saying of Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spake, Lord, who hath believed our report? and to whom hath the arm of the Lord been revealed? 39 Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again, 40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them. 41 These things said Esaias, when he saw his glory, and spake of him.

John also includes a quotation from Isaiah 53:1 which is the most explicit prophecy concerning the sufferings, crucifixion, death and resurrection of Jesus. These two quotations from near the start of Isaiah and near the end of Isaiah thus foreshadow the whole ministry of Jesus and his incipient acceptance by many of the Gentiles and his rejection by many of the Jews. There are a number of other connections between Isaiah 6 and John 12 as alluded to by Jesus and also stated by John in John 12:41 verse.

I do not agree with the subdivision of the One Gospel into fragmentary parts that you advocate in this and your many other threads. Yes, there is a development as a result of the death and resurrection of Jesus, but it is a smooth development as a result of the circumstances and thus more detail, not a disjointed development and a different Gospel as you seem to advocate.

Kind regards,
Trevor

DougE

Greetings again DougE, The believers needed to continue in the faith as it was being revealed in and through Christ. This includes all of his teaching during his ministry including his clear statements concerning his incipient crucifixion. The following is a clear indication of this:
John 12:32–33 (KJV): 32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me. 33 This he said, signifying what death he should die.

The context of these verses is that Jesus spoke these words towards the end of his ministry in response to the visit and faith of the Greeks and the increasing failure of the Jews to respond to his message. The Jews had heard his preaching in Matthew 5-7, they had witnessed his miracles and had heard his parables, and finally they had witnessed the resurrection of Lazarus. They had thus become increasingly blind and deaf and their hearts became hardened as predicted in Isaiah 6:9-10 as quoted by John in the following:
John 12:37–41 (KJV): 37 But though he had done so many miracles before them, yet they believed not on him: 38 That the saying of Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spake, Lord, who hath believed our report? and to whom hath the arm of the Lord been revealed? 39 Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again, 40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them. 41 These things said Esaias, when he saw his glory, and spake of him.

John also includes a quotation from Isaiah 53:1 which is the most explicit prophecy concerning the sufferings, crucifixion, death and resurrection of Jesus. These two quotations from near the start of Isaiah and near the end of Isaiah thus foreshadow the whole ministry of Jesus and his incipient acceptance by many of the Gentiles and his rejection by many of the Jews. There are a number of other connections between Isaiah 6 and John 12 as alluded to by Jesus and also stated by John in John 12:41 verse.

I do not agree with the subdivision of the One Gospel into fragmentary parts that you advocate in this and your many other threads. Yes, there is a development as a result of the death and resurrection of Jesus, but it is a smooth development as a result of the circumstances and thus more detail, not a disjointed development and a different Gospel as you seem to advocate.

Kind regards,
Trevor

Hello
I agree with most of what you said but, there was a distinction between the gospels preached but yet they were a progressive revelation.

DougE

Greetings again DougE, The believers needed to continue in the faith as it was being revealed in and through Christ. This includes all of his teaching during his ministry including his clear statements concerning his incipient crucifixion. The following is a clear indication of this:

Kind regards,
Trevor
Hello
Sorry but it is not one big gospel (Please correct me if I have mischaractized )....Paul never preached the gospel of the kingdom by which only Israel was promised an earthly kingdom