Joe Biden says he would force everyone to wear masks in public

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
More than what?

<NO ANSWER>

Please write out the syllogism(s) you have in mind, here. Lay down your premise(s) and your conclusion(s) for us. Or, maybe, by "one can...draw some conclusions", you mean "[someone other than me] can...draw some conclusions[--but I can't]"? Next, do the same regarding your claim that mask-wearing is somehow beneficial. Let's see your syllogism(s).

<NO ANSWER>

Arthur Brain

You should probably find a different hobby than TOL, then. Or put me on "Ignore".

It is really a small thing for you to just put me on "Ignore", if you really can't tolerate what I write, hypocrite.

Or, you could become or at least act like an adult and do away with this pathetic "Nazi Leftard" nonsense. Is it your aim to convey yourself as a pompous little dipstick? Mission accomplished if so. Chair hasn't been a hypocrite by any stretch. He's politely and courteously asked you to refrain from this garbage is all.

chair

You should probably find a different hobby than TOL, then. Or put me on "Ignore".

It is really a small thing for you to just put me on "Ignore", if you really can't tolerate what I write, hypocrite.

Well, I've accomplished one thing. I've demonstrated that you really are something that could be used to fertilize crops. I was hoping to enable you to pull out of your behavior, but so it goes. Have a nice day!

Arthur Brain

Well, I've accomplished one thing. I've demonstrated that you really are something that could be used to fertilize crops. I was hoping to enable you to pull out of your behavior, but so it goes. Have a nice day!

Demonstrated well and then some. I admire your restraint and also the description...

:chuckle:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Here's an article about the effectiveness of facemasks.
And here is the original study, Visualizing the effectiveness of face masks in obstructing respiratory jets.

Yes, I realize that I should only read those few studies that show that masks are not effective- otherwise I am guilty of confirmation bias, but I insist on stupidly reading other ones as well.
You need to grab Fauci by the collar and give him a good shake. He said what we've known for a long time about virus infections: “Wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better and it might even block a droplet, but it’s not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is. And often, there are unintended consequences; people keep fiddling with the mask and they keep touching their face.”

The studies you cite simply state what I've been saying all along. Masks don't help much. Poor materials, poor execution, and a false sense of security offered by the mask make it, overall in a 10-month disease season, not much different than not using masks in general.

From the studies:"Loosely folded face masks and bandana-style coverings provide minimal stopping-capability for the smallest aerosolized respiratory droplets. Well-fitted homemade masks with multiple layers of quilting fabric, and off-the-shelf cone style masks, proved to be the most effective in reducing droplet dispersal. These masks were able to curtail the speed and range of the respiratory jets significantly, albeit with some leakage through the mask material and from small gaps along the edges."

"Various studies have investigated the effectiveness of medical-grade face masks and other personal protective equipment (PPE) in reducing the possibility of cross-infection via these droplets. Notably, such respiratory barriers do not prove to be completely effective against extremely fine aerosolized particles, droplets, and nuclei."

"Regardless of their size, all droplets and nuclei expelled by infected individuals are potential carriers of pathogens."

They even comment how the longer they are used, the worse their protection gets. I don't suppose you see the danger in making the government "more effective at micro-policing every mask wearer"? Because that's what it's going to take to actually have the protection you think you are getting when you shame and support mandates for everyone to wear a mask.

Oh, sure, initially you get some protection from the good masks. But even they will only make it harder to reach herd immunity becuase it just slows things down a bit. Sweden and NY both seem to have reached herd immunity. There are few new cases or deaths in either location. The difference is that people in NY are scared to death and the people in Sweden are confident they are in the clear. Sure, it will come back somewhat after it gets cold again like any Corona virus, but not as bad as places that masked up and locked down. And next time, I'm sure Sweden will do a much better job at protecting the old.

But they won't have all the death caused by a bad economy.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
You need to grab Fauci by the collar and give him a good shake. He said what we've known for a long time about virus infections: “Wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better and it might even block a droplet, but it’s not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is. And often, there are unintended consequences; people keep fiddling with the mask and they keep touching their face.”

The studies you cite simply state what I've been saying all along. Masks don't help much. Poor materials, poor execution, and a false sense of security offered by the mask make it, overall in a 10-month disease season, not much different than not using masks in general.

From the studies:"Loosely folded face masks and bandana-style coverings provide minimal stopping-capability for the smallest aerosolized respiratory droplets. Well-fitted homemade masks with multiple layers of quilting fabric, and off-the-shelf cone style masks, proved to be the most effective in reducing droplet dispersal. These masks were able to curtail the speed and range of the respiratory jets significantly, albeit with some leakage through the mask material and from small gaps along the edges."

"Various studies have investigated the effectiveness of medical-grade face masks and other personal protective equipment (PPE) in reducing the possibility of cross-infection via these droplets. Notably, such respiratory barriers do not prove to be completely effective against extremely fine aerosolized particles, droplets, and nuclei."

"Regardless of their size, all droplets and nuclei expelled by infected individuals are potential carriers of pathogens."

They even comment how the longer they are used, the worse their protection gets. I don't suppose you see the danger in making the government "more effective at micro-policing every mask wearer"? Because that's what it's going to take to actually have the protection you think you are getting when you shame and support mandates for everyone to wear a mask.

Oh, sure, initially you get some protection from the good masks. But even they will only make it harder to reach herd immunity becuase it just slows things down a bit. Sweden and NY both seem to have reached herd immunity. There are few new cases or deaths in either location. The difference is that people in NY are scared to death and the people in Sweden are confident they are in the clear. Sure, it will come back somewhat after it gets cold again like any Corona virus, but not as bad as places that masked up and locked down. And next time, I'm sure Sweden will do a much better job at protecting the old.

The right masks are very effective.

Here's the gear virologists wear:

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
The studies you cite simply state what I've been saying all along. Masks don't help much.

Tell that to the millions of Asians who use them. Over the past couple of decades, they have had to deal with repeated viral outbreaks (SARS, swine flu, etc.), and they have learned from experience that masks are effective in suppressing the spread of these viral epidemics.

chair

but it’s not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is....

"Regardless of their size, all droplets and nuclei expelled by infected individuals are potential carriers of pathogens.".

From a public health viewpoint, even partially effective masks are a great help. Slowing down the spread of the disease will make a big difference. This is irrespective of much they help the individual wearing the mask. This is not the same situation as people who work in hospitals, who need a much higher level of protection for themselves.

These are separate issues. If you think rushing to herd immunity is the way to go, and the devil take all the people who will get sick or die on the way- bully for you- just try that far away from the rest of us. Do you honestly think that the economy can continue running on full steam with sick and dying people everywhere? The restaurants will be full, the meatpacking plants will churn out packaged meat, everything will be A-OK? How long will it take to reach this herd immunity.

The point is that wearing masks will slow down the spread of the disease, and make it possible to have a near-normal economy, without having the epidemic rage out of control. It It's simple, everybody wins, but for some reason it's become a political issue in the US. It's as stupid as toppling statues because national heroes weren't perfect by today's standards.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
From a public health viewpoint, even partially effective masks are a great help. Slowing down the spread of the disease will make a big difference. This is irrespective of much they help the individual wearing the mask. This is not the same situation as people who work in hospitals, who need a much higher level of protection for themselves.
Thanks for agreeing with me. Now apologize to all the people you've been arguing with for suggesting that mandatory mask wearing is a good idea. Start promoting Sweden's approach of letting people know what's going on, and not locking down.

These are separate issues. If you think rushing to herd immunity is the way to go, and the devil take all the people who will get sick or die on the way- bully for you- just try that far away from the rest of us. Do you honestly think that the economy can continue running on full steam with sick and dying people everywhere? The restaurants will be full, the meatpacking plants will churn out packaged meat, everything will be A-OK? How long will it take to reach this herd immunity.

The point is that wearing masks will slow down the spread of the disease, and make it possible to have a near-normal economy, without having the epidemic rage out of control. It It's simple, everybody wins, but for some reason it's become a political issue in the US. It's as stupid as toppling statues because national heroes weren't perfect by today's standards.
You think Sweden rushed to herd immunity? It's become a political issue because people that think like you want to lord it over people about masks. You've become a non-thinking wacko rhetoric spout you accuse others of being. You need to listen more and not consider everyone who disagrees with you as a grandma killer.
לֹא־אֹ֭זֶן מִלִּ֣ין תִּבְחָ֑ן וְ֝חֵ֗ךְ אֹ֣כֶל יִטְעַם־לֹֽו׃

chair

Thanks for agreeing with me. Now apologize to all the people you've been arguing with for suggesting that mandatory mask wearing is a good idea. Start promoting Sweden's approach of letting people know what's going on, and not locking down.
No, I didn't agree with you. Mandatory mask wearing is a good idea. That was exactly my point. Don't put words in my mouth.

You think Sweden rushed to herd immunity? It's become a political issue because people that think like you want to lord it over people about masks. You've become a non-thinking wacko rhetoric spout you accuse others of being. You need to listen more and not consider everyone who disagrees with you as a grandma killer.
לֹא־אֹ֭זֶן מִלִּ֣ין תִּבְחָ֑ן וְ֝חֵ֗ךְ אֹ֣כֶל יִטְעַם־לֹֽו׃

Did I say anything at all about Sweden? Did they achieve herd immunity? It's become a political issue because people like YOU have made it one. It is a common sense precaution. It helps public health even if it is partially effective. It is a clear case where the public good trumps (excuse the expression) personal freedom. A small personal freedom to give up, for a large public good. Unless you believe that there is no such thing as a public good that justifies a loss of personal freedom.

And no need to call me wacko, or wanting to lord over people. I need you, and everybody else, to wear a mask in order to protect me, my friends, my family, and everybody around me. You need it too- but you refuse to admit it.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, I didn't agree with you. Mandatory mask wearing is a good idea. That was exactly my point. Don't put words in my mouth.
If you cite a study, it's what you are saying. So, don't blame me for words you put in your own mouth.

Listen to the study. Since masks aren't that big a deal, mandating them can't help much but it sure can hurt. If you don't think you need to apologize, it's just sad for you.

Did I say anything at all about Sweden?
Sweden is directly relevant to mandatory mask wearing. They didn't do it for sound scientific reasons and history shows they were right. Humble yourself when someone else is proven right and listen to them - for your own good.

Did they achieve herd immunity?
It's possible they didn't, but with few new cases or deaths that looks unlikely.

It's become a political issue because people like YOU have made it one.
What? You need to use a little logic here. I'm not trying to use the monopoly on violence the state has to force you to take your mask off. It's you that's proposing state violence against me.

It is a common sense precaution.
According to science and pragmatism it isn't. What's left as a reason to mandate masks? There's irrational fear and man's desire to lord it over their fellow man. Which one is your reason?

It helps public health even if it is partially effective.
Partially effective is less effective than you think because a virus only needs a certain vector threshold to infect a population. And that threshold is way lower than the most draconian tyrannical orders any government has thought up this pandemic go-around. And it becomes anti-effective when we factor in lives lost to a bad economy and a false sense of security. Are you saying we don't need to factor that in?

It is a clear case where the public good trumps (excuse the expression) personal freedom. A small personal freedom to give up, for a large public good. Unless you believe that there is no such thing as a public good that justifies a loss of personal freedom.
Freedom is security. To claim we can give up freedom for security is a category error.

And no need to call me wacko, or wanting to lord over people. I need you, and everybody else, to wear a mask in order to protect me, my friends, my family, and everybody around me.
Dude... listen to yourself. You say you aren't a wacko on this subject, trying to justify your support of state violence to lord it over people - and in the very next sentence you support state violence, the definition of lording it over people!

You need it too- but you refuse to admit it.
I just showed you scientific and pragmatic reasons why I don't need it. What are you standing on? Fear? The human tendency to control others?

chair

I just showed you scientific and pragmatic reasons why I don't need it. What are you standing on? Fear? The human tendency to control others?

No. I am standing on facts and concern for public health. I can't convince somebody who has decided that Masks Are Evil- it's become a delusional religious belief. I can only be glad that I live far away from you and others like you.

Have a nice day!

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No. I am standing on facts and concern for public health. I can't convince somebody who has decided that Masks Are Evil- it's become a delusional religious belief. I can only be glad that I live far away from you and others like you.

Have a nice day!
I just showed you scientific and pragmatic reasons why I don't need it. That you read "scientific and pragmatic" as "evil"/"a delusional religious belief" is very sad. I can only be glad that I live far away from you and other common-sense-deniers/science-deniers like you.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:

7djengo7

LOL @ your Nazi leftard hypocrisy.

Wait...so you like to be called "nasty", and "something that could be used to fertilize crops", and it doesn't "upset" or "disturb" you to be called such things? Thanks for the info.

7djengo7

Or, you could become or at least act like an adult and do away with this pathetic "Nazi Leftard" nonsense. Is it your aim to convey yourself as a pompous little dipstick? Mission accomplished if so. Chair hasn't been a hypocrite by any stretch. He's politely and courteously asked you to refrain from this garbage is all.

LOL @ the one hypocrite (Arthur Brain) trying to defend the hypocrisy of the other hypocrite (chair).

So, Arthur Brain (chair's fellow Nazi leftard) hates being called "Nazi leftard", but would love being called a juvenile, or a non-adult, and "a pompous little dipstick".

Sorry, I didn't know that you would like to be called "a pompous little dipstick", Arthur Brain, as I don't recall having ever seen you call yourself "a pompous little dipstick". I will bear that in mind.

Also, note: Arthur Brain considers it polite and courteous to call someone "nasty".

Last edited:

Arthur Brain

LOL @ the one hypocrite (Arthur Brain) trying to defend the hypocrisy of the other hypocrite (chair).

So, Arthur Brain (chair's fellow Nazi leftard) hates being called "Nazi leftard", but would love being called a juvenile, or a non-adult, and "a pompous little dipstick".

Sorry, I didn't know that you would like to be called "a pompous little dipstick", Arthur Brain, as I don't recall having ever seen you call yourself "a pompous little dipstick". I will bear that in mind.

Also, note: Arthur Brain considers it polite and courteous to call someone "nasty".

Being called a Nazi leftard by the likes of you on a personal level means squat to me. It's the type of thing that only a completely ignorant person or an utter tool would come out with. Chair has politely asked you to stop with the pathetic nonsense and explained why so your accusations of hypocrisy are moot. Frankly, I hope you're just a kid as for an adult you are an embarrassment, to yourself as much as anyone else.