Jesus vs the Pharisees

Gary K

Banned
What made Jesus such a popular teacher that He drew crowds of up to 5000 people? I'll take a look at what the gospels tell us about Him.

The following quote comes immediately after the sermon on the mount.

Mat 7:28 And when Jesus finished these sayings, the crowds were astonished at his teaching,
Mat 7:29 for he was teaching them as one who had authority, and not as their scribes.

Mar 7:5 Then the Pharisees and scribes asked him, Why walk not thy disciples according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashen hands?
Mar 7:6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
Mar 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Mar 7:8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.

Notice Jesus' condemnation of the Pharisee's traditions. What was He talking about? The following quote comes from the Babylonian Talmud which was the Bible of the Pharisees. They called it their oral law and had started creating it after the Babylonian captivity some 400+ years before Christ. The following 2 page quote goes on for 3+ pages more.

[A] The House of Shammai say, “They wash their hands [before
beginning the meal], and then they mix the cup [of concentrated
wine with water to prepare it for drinking].”
And the House of Hillel say, “They mix the cup, and then they
wash their hands.”
[I.A] What is the basis for the [ruling of] the House of Shammai?
[They first wash their hands] so they do not render the liquids on the
sides of the cup unclean [by contact] with their hands, which in turn
[through contact] could render [the outside of] the cup unclean.
[C] What is the basis for the [ruling of] the House of Hillel?
[D] [They reject the Shammaite position because they hold the view that]
the outside of the cup is perpetually unclean. [Since the outside of the
cup is already unclean, it makes no difference at what point one washes,
whether before or after mixing the cup.
[E] [Why then must one wash after mixing the cup? The explanation is:]
Another matter: One must juxtapose washing his hands with the
recitation of the blessing [at the beginning of the meal]. [The act of
mixing the cup may not intervene.] [T. 5:26.]
[F] R. Biban in the name of R. Yohanan, “The opinion of the House of
Shammai accords with the view of R. Yose, and the opinion of the House
of Hillel accords with the view of R. Meir.”
[G] As it was taught there: [With regard to the laws of uncleanness, the
grip is not considered to be part of the cup.] R. Meir says, “This applies
[if a person touches the grip with either] clean or unclean hands.” [If one
holds a cup by the grip he renders
unclean neither the outside nor the contents. Like the House of Hillel,
Meir is not concerned about the hands rendering the cup unclean.]
[H] And R. Yose says, “This is true only with regard to [a person who
touches the grip with] clean hands.” [He is afraid that one who holds a
cup by the grip with unclean hands will render unclean the liquids on the
outer surface of the cup, just as the House of Shammai fear in our case.]
[M. Kelim 25:7 8.]
[II.A] R. Yose in the name of R. Shabbetai and R. Hiyya in the name of
R. Simeon b. Laqish, “[To find water to wash one’s utensils before
kneading dough and separating] the dough offering, and to [find water to]
wash one’s hands [before the meal], a person must go up to four miles.”
[‘Mile’ refers to 2000 paces, about 1470 meters, that is somewhat less than
the modern English mile of about 1609 meters.]
R. Abahu in the name of R. Yose b. R. Haninah, “This applies to [one
who was travelling on the road], who must go ahead [up to four miles to
find water]. But [to find water] they do not trouble him to go back [in the
direction from which he came on his journey].”
[C] In what status do they place guards of gardens and orchards [who do
not have water available for washing before they eat]? [Do we require
that they do search for water to wash with before eating] like those who
must journey ahead [up to four miles to find water]? [Or do we not
require that they search to find water, just as we do not trouble a person
to] go back [on his journey. For if the guard leaves his post, thieves may
steal the produce]?

It's very clear why the common people among the Jews were so amazed by Jesus' teaching as He taught authoritatively.

Gary K

Banned
Here is a quote from a Jew who converted to Christianity. He was born in the later 1800s and converted Christianity; He was born on the day of atonement so he was considered to be a possible Messiah and trained to be a rabbi from a young child. He gave that up as he was having doubts about whether he wanted to be a rabbi.

18. Two of the most noted contemporary teachers were Hillel and Shammi, who flourished about
the time of Christ’s advent. Each represented a different school of theology and were frequently were
engaged in strong arguments. On one occasion there arose a heated discussion about a hen that laid her
eggs on the Sabbath, whether or not it was lawful to eat such egg or eggs. As a result of this strong debate,
an entire treatise, called “Bet-za “ (egg), is written on this subject. Hillel stuck to his legal decision, and
what he claimed would be the position of the other great rabbis, namely, that the egg was not to be eaten.
Shammi, however, who was of the more lenient class, claimed that it could be. What was to be done? Both
of these men were held in great esteem. Their disciples were sitting by and awaiting the outcome. The
whole structure of their interpretation of Scripture might crumble should either admit defeat.
19. Finally one of the company raised his voice, and shouted, “Bath-kol” (literally, the daughter of
a voice). This was their substitute for “the spirit of prophecy.” They claimed this is the way God revealed
Himself to them. When some person said “Bath-kol” a hush fell upon the entire company. What said the
Bath-kol concerning the point under discussion. This was the reply:
“Both are the words of the living God, yet the rule of the school of Hillel should be followed.”-
Tractate Eruvin.
20. Is it to be wondered at that the Savior said they strained at a gnat, and swallowed a camel? Can
we not see why the Savior condemned them and their teachings, and why the Apostles warned the people
against listening to them?

Gary K

Banned
Here is more from him.

15. They were putting themselves in the place of God to the people; their sayings were placed
upon equality with God’s teachings. Hence we read that the written law was like water; but the oral law,
Mishna, was like wine: the Gemara, like spiced wine. Some went as far as to say that the words of the
scribes are lovely above the words of the law (meaning the written law), for the words of the written law
are weighty and light; but the words of the scribes are all weighty. One, Rabbi Judah, son of Tamai, said:
“A child at five years should study the Bible, at ten the Mishna, at fifteen the Gernara.”
From this last statement it can be seen that three times as much value is placed upon the words of
men as upon the words of God. The person as he comes to years of maturity should regard the words of the
Scripture only one-third as much as he does the words of the rabbis. Yes, they go so far as to say:
“Yea, though they should tell thee that thy right hand is the left, and the left hand that it is the
right, it must be believed.”
It is not surprising, then, that the Savior condemned those teachers for making void the word of
God by their tradition. By their multiplicity of maxims they enslaved the man; they put the word of God
aside, in order that their words might be highly esteemed.

16. There were times when there were several leaders, and frequently they would disagree as to
their ideas of the Scriptures, or Scriptural exposition. Which is right was often the question, as the people
were only to understand the law interpreted and expounded by these men. The common people were never
supposed to understand the Scriptures themselves; this is why, no doubt, we find the following statement:
“But this people who knows not the law are cursed.” “They answered and said unto him, thou was
altogether born in sins, and does thou teach us? And they cast him out.” [15]
17. It was only the wise and educated who were expected to know the Scriptures; whatever these
men said must be final. An appeal to any other source meant excommunication. [16] No doubt this is why
Nicodemus came to Christ at night. [17] This will also explain why more of the people did not receive
Jesus.

Gary K

Banned
More on Jesus vs the Pharisees.

Luk 5:17 And it came to pass on a certain day, as he was teaching, that there were Pharisees and doctors of the law sitting by, which were come out of every town of Galilee, and Judaea, and Jerusalem: and the power of the Lord was present to heal them.
Luk 5:18 And, behold, men brought in a bed a man which was taken with a palsy: and they sought means to bring him in, and to lay him before him.
Luk 5:19 And when they could not find by what way they might bring him in because of the multitude, they went upon the housetop, and let him down through the tiling with his couch into the midst before Jesus.
Luk 5:20 And when he saw their faith, he said unto him, Man, thy sins are forgiven thee.
Luk 5:21 And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, Who is this which speaketh blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?
Luk 5:22 But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, he answering said unto them, What reason ye in your hearts?
Luk 5:23 Whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Rise up and walk?
Luk 5:24 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power upon earth to forgive sins, (he said unto the sick of the palsy,) I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy couch, and go into thine house.
Luk 5:25 And immediately he rose up before them, and took up that whereon he lay, and departed to his own house, glorifying God.

How would you handle spies come out to see what you would say? With Jesus they came out of every town in Judea, Galilee and by far the biggest city around, Jerusalem.

Jesus first tells the man his sins are forgiven. Then Jesus reads their thoughts and asks them if it is easier to forgive sins or heal someone. At that point he tells the paralytic take up his bed and go home.

Would you be that kind to the spies who are trying to find something against you?

Gary K

Banned
Jesus was teaching the people in the sermon on the mount and said the following.

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

In the context of this passage what do you think He meant as He is telling the people their righteousness must exceed that of their religious leaders? And remember from a previous post on this thread that the Pharisees were spying on Him so they could find things against Him.

Gary K

Banned
How about this passage from the sermon on the mount?

Mat 5:21 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
Mat 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
Mat 5:23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
Mat 5:24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

The first thing to remember about this passage is the Pharisees were so angry with Jesus they ended up killing Him. Are you and I this forgiving of others?

The Greek word translated as brother can mean a literal or figurative brother as in a fellow human being.

Gary K

Banned
More on Jesus vs the Pharisees on healing on the Sabbath.

Mat 12:9 He went on from there and entered their synagogue.
Mat 12:10 And a man was there with a withered hand. And they asked him, “Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?”—so that they might accuse him.
Mat 12:11 He said to them, “Which one of you who has a sheep, if it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will not take hold of it and lift it out?
Mat 12:12 Of how much more value is a man than a sheep! So it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.”
Mat 12:13 Then he said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” And the man stretched it out, and it was restored, healthy like the other.
Mat 12:14 But the Pharisees went out and conspired against him, how to destroy him.

So Jesus heals a man with a withered hand on the Sabbath after the Pharisees ask Him if it is legal to heal on the Sabbath. It's very plain the Pharisees did this just to accuse Jesus of doing something evil. Jesus asks them if a man is not more valuable than sheep as the Pharisees would work hard to save money on Sabbath by saving one of their own sheep. Their response? They conspired to destroy Jesus.

So what kind of people were they? It's pretty obvious these were evil men who didn't give a rip about others.

Gary K

Banned
Jesus vs the Pharisees on adultery.

Joh 8:3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,
Joh 8:4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
Joh 8:5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
Joh 8:6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
Joh 8:7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
Joh 8:8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.
Joh 8:9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.
Joh 8:10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
Joh 8:11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Is this our attitude towards adulterers? We know God established the death penalty for adultery so why was Jesus so forgiving towards this woman? One, I believe the Pharisees were responsible for her being caught in adultery as the story of Mary Magdalene demonstrates that the Pharisees had no moral compunction against seducing women. Two, I believe God is merciful by His very nature.

Jer_31:3 The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.

We find 33 instances in Psalms of God being described using the word lovingkindness.

So are we as merciful as God?

Right Divider

Body part
Is this our attitude towards adulterers? We know God established the death penalty for adultery so why was Jesus so forgiving towards this woman? One, I believe the Pharisees were responsible for her being caught in adultery as the story of Mary Magdalene demonstrates that the Pharisees had no moral compunction against seducing women. Two, I believe God is merciful by His very nature.
For any violation of the law that required the death penalty, there was a requirement that there be two or three witnesses:
Deut 17:6-7 (AKJV/PCE)
(17:6) At the mouth of two witnesses, or three witnesses, shall he that is worthy of death be put to death; [but] at the mouth of one witness he shall not be put to death. (17:7) The hands of the witnesses shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterward the hands of all the people. So thou shalt put the evil away from among you.

In this case, there were NO witnesses:
John 8:10-11 (AKJV/PCE)
(8:10) When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? (8:11) She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Jesus was a Jew under the law and He followed the law.
Gal 4:4 (AKJV/PCE)
(4:4) But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,

Gary K

Banned
For any violation of the law that required the death penalty, there was a requirement that there be two or three witnesses:
Deut 17:6-7 (AKJV/PCE)
(17:6) At the mouth of two witnesses, or three witnesses, shall he that is worthy of death be put to death; [but] at the mouth of one witness he shall not be put to death. (17:7) The hands of the witnesses shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterward the hands of all the people. So thou shalt put the evil away from among you.

In this case, there were NO witnesses:
John 8:10-11 (AKJV/PCE)
(8:10) When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? (8:11) She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Jesus was a Jew under the law and He followed the law.
Gal 4:4 (AKJV/PCE)
(4:4) But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,
So would you have been as kind as Jesus was to the adultress? Would you have said to her neither do I condemn you go and sin no more?

Gary K

Banned
Do we inspire the same kind of friendship and loyalty in sinners that Jesus does?

Joh 20:11 But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre,
Joh 20:12 And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.
Joh 20:13 And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? She saith unto them, Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him.
Joh 20:14 And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.
Joh 20:15 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away.
Joh 20:16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.
Joh 20:17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Right Divider

Body part
So would you have been as kind as Jesus was to the adultress? Would you have said to her neither do I condemn you go and sin no more?
You keep asking these types of questions in many of your posts.
Are you out to condemn those that are not as perfect as the Lord Jesus Christ?
Did you understand the post at all?

Gary K

Banned
You keep asking these types of questions in many of your posts.
Are you out to condemn those that are not as perfect as the Lord Jesus Christ?
Did you understand the post at all?
Nope. Just attempting to show we need to do better in dealing with our fellow men as far as kindness and respect for others goes..

Hoping

Banned
Jesus was teaching the people in the sermon on the mount and said the following.

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

In the context of this passage what do you think He meant as He is telling the people their righteousness must exceed that of their religious leaders? And remember from a previous post on this thread that the Pharisees were spying on Him so they could find things against Him.
Jesus was making it clear that following the Law was insufficient for salvation.

Derf

More on Jesus vs the Pharisees.

Luk 5:17 And it came to pass on a certain day, as he was teaching, that there were Pharisees and doctors of the law sitting by, which were come out of every town of Galilee, and Judaea, and Jerusalem: and the power of the Lord was present to heal them.
Luk 5:18 And, behold, men brought in a bed a man which was taken with a palsy: and they sought means to bring him in, and to lay him before him.
Luk 5:19 And when they could not find by what way they might bring him in because of the multitude, they went upon the housetop, and let him down through the tiling with his couch into the midst before Jesus.
Luk 5:20 And when he saw their faith, he said unto him, Man, thy sins are forgiven thee.
Luk 5:21 And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, Who is this which speaketh blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?
Luk 5:22 But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, he answering said unto them, What reason ye in your hearts?
Luk 5:23 Whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Rise up and walk?
Luk 5:24 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power upon earth to forgive sins, (he said unto the sick of the palsy,) I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy couch, and go into thine house.
Luk 5:25 And immediately he rose up before them, and took up that whereon he lay, and departed to his own house, glorifying God.

How would you handle spies come out to see what you would say? With Jesus they came out of every town in Judea, Galilee and by far the biggest city around, Jerusalem.

Jesus first tells the man his sins are forgiven. Then Jesus reads their thoughts and asks them if it is easier to forgive sins or heal someone. At that point he tells the paralytic take up his bed and go home.

Would you be that kind to the spies who are trying to find something against you?
Jesus loved the spies.