Jesus divided the verse

Right Divider

Body part
Luke 4:16-21 (AKJV/PCE)
(4:16) ¶ And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read. (4:17) And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written, (4:18) The Spirit of the Lord [is] upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, (4:19) To preach the acceptable year of the Lord. (4:20) And he closed the book, and he gave [it] again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him. (4:21) And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

Note the passage that Jesus read from:
Isa 61:2 (AKJV/PCE)
(61:2) To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;

Note that Jesus stopped in the MIDDLE of that verse and declared the FIRST part fulfilled.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
(4:16) ¶ And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read. (4:17) And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written, (4:18) The Spirit of the Lord [is] upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, (4:19) To preach the acceptable year of the Lord. (4:20) And he closed the book, and he gave [it] again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him. (4:21) And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

Note the passage that Jesus read from:
Isa 61:2 (AKJV/PCE)
(61:2) To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;

Note that Jesus stopped in the MIDDLE of that verse and declared the FIRST part fulfilled.
Yep! So what's yet to come?

Isa 63:1 Who is this that cometh from Edom, with dyed garments from Bozrah? this that is glorious in his apparel, travelling in the greatness of his strength? I that speak in righteousness, mighty to save.
Isa 63:2 Wherefore art thou red in thine apparel, and thy garments like him that treadeth in the winefat?
Isa 63:3 I have trodden the winepress alone; and of the people there was none with me: for I will tread them in mine anger, and trample them in my fury; and their blood shall be sprinkled upon my garments, and I will stain all my raiment.
Isa 63:4 For the day of vengeance is in mine heart, and the year of my redeemed is come.

Hoping

Banned
Yep! So what's yet to come?

Isa 63:1 Who is this that cometh from Edom, with dyed garments from Bozrah? this that is glorious in his apparel, travelling in the greatness of his strength? I that speak in righteousness, mighty to save.
Isa 63:2 Wherefore art thou red in thine apparel, and thy garments like him that treadeth in the winefat?
Isa 63:3 I have trodden the winepress alone; and of the people there was none with me: for I will tread them in mine anger, and trample them in my fury; and their blood shall be sprinkled upon my garments, and I will stain all my raiment.
Isa 63:4 For the day of vengeance is in mine heart, and the year of my redeemed is come.
The day of vengeance.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Very good news when one knows what they are healed, delivered, and liberated from.
What was binding them?

Luke, the Gentile gospel writer, gives further insight when he tells the story of:

Luke 13​
(10) Now he was teaching in one of the synagogues on the Sabbath.​
(11) And behold, there was a woman who had had a disabling spirit for eighteen years. She was bent over and could not fully straighten herself.​
(12) When Jesus saw her, he called her over and said to her, “Woman, you are freed from your disability.”​
(13) And he laid his hands on her, and immediately she was made straight, and she glorified God.​
(14) But the ruler of the synagogue, indignant because Jesus had healed on the Sabbath, said to the people, “There are six days in which work ought to be done. Come on those days and be healed, and not on the Sabbath day.”​
(15) Then the Lord answered him, “You hypocrites! Does not each of you on the Sabbath untie his ox or his donkey from the manger and lead it away to water it?​
(16) And ought not this woman, a daughter of Abraham whom Satan bound for eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the Sabbath day?”​
(17) As he said these things, all his adversaries were put to shame, and all the people rejoiced at all the glorious things that were done by him.​

Set at liberty from the spiritual forces of darkness.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Luke was not a gentile.
Every book of the Bible was written by an Israelite.

Colossians 4​
(7) Tychicus will tell you all about my activities. He is a beloved brother and faithful minister and fellow servant in the Lord.​
(8) I have sent him to you for this very purpose, that you may know how we are and that he may encourage your hearts,​
(9) and with him Onesimus, our faithful and beloved brother, who is one of you. They will tell you of everything that has taken place here.​
(10) Aristarchus my fellow prisoner greets you, and Mark the cousin of Barnabas (concerning whom you have received instructions—if he comes to you, welcome him),​
(11) and Jesus who is called Justus. These are the only men of the circumcision among my fellow workers for the kingdom of God, and they have been a comfort to me.​

And now for the rest of the guys not of the circumcision:

(12) Epaphras, who is one of you, a servant of Christ Jesus, greets you, always struggling on your behalf in his prayers, that you may stand mature and fully assured in all the will of God.​
(13) For I bear him witness that he has worked hard for you and for those in Laodicea and in Hierapolis.​
(14) Luke the beloved physician greets you, as does Demas.​

Right Divider

Body part
Colossians 4​
(7) Tychicus will tell you all about my activities. He is a beloved brother and faithful minister and fellow servant in the Lord.​
(8) I have sent him to you for this very purpose, that you may know how we are and that he may encourage your hearts,​
(9) and with him Onesimus, our faithful and beloved brother, who is one of you. They will tell you of everything that has taken place here.​
(10) Aristarchus my fellow prisoner greets you, and Mark the cousin of Barnabas (concerning whom you have received instructions—if he comes to you, welcome him),​
(11) and Jesus who is called Justus. These are the only men of the circumcision among my fellow workers for the kingdom of God, and they have been a comfort to me.​

And now for the rest of the guys not of the circumcision:

(12) Epaphras, who is one of you, a servant of Christ Jesus, greets you, always struggling on your behalf in his prayers, that you may stand mature and fully assured in all the will of God.​
(13) For I bear him witness that he has worked hard for you and for those in Laodicea and in Hierapolis.​
(14) Luke the beloved physician greets you, as does Demas.​
Yes, I've seen this interpretation before

Col 4:11 (AKJV/PCE)
(4:11) And Jesus, which is called Justus, who are of the circumcision. These only [are my] fellowworkers unto the kingdom of God, which have been a comfort unto me.

Paul is speaking of a group within the "circumcision". Paul is not creating a comprehensive list of ALL Jews that are his "fellowworkers unto the kingdom of God".

Also, verse 14 starts a NEW thought.

Col 4:14 (AKJV/PCE)
(4:14) Luke, the beloved physician, and Demas, greet you.

This verse does not exclude Luke from being a Jew.

It's odd that you think that all of the authors of scripture are Jews... except one. Not to mention that Paul says that the "oracles of God" were given to the circumcision.

Rom 3:1-2 (AKJV/PCE)
(3:1) What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit [is there] of circumcision? (3:2) Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes, I've seen this interpretation before
It's not an interpretation, it is what the text says and words mean things.

Paul is speaking of a group within the "circumcision". Paul is not creating a comprehensive list of ALL Jews that are his "fellowworkers unto the kingdom of God".
Of course it is not an exhaustive list of all Jews that were fellow workers, he is only speaking of the particular group of folks in the context of those with him at the time, and he excludes the later 3 names (Epaphras, Luke, Demas) from those in the group that are of the circumcision.

The majority of scholars say the same.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So, will you ever answer the question? Why do you bring them up in the first place?
They can be right or wrong, so that's irrelevant.
There is nothing wrong with stating a truth that the majority of scholars say Luke was a Gentile.
And there is certainly nothing wrong with the Spirit inspiring a Gentile believer to write about the good news.

Right Divider

Body part
There is nothing wrong with stating a truth that the majority of scholars say Luke was a Gentile.
So you had no point? Or are you simply unwilling to be open about your reasons for writing things here?

Do you think that the "majority" makes them right? (another type of fallacy).
And there is certainly nothing wrong with the Spirit inspiring a Gentile believer to write about the good news.
Why do you think that God would have all of the writer of the Bible be Israelite's.... except one?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So you had no point? Or are you simply unwilling to be open about your reasons for writing things here?
Truth.
It is truth that the majority of scholars say Luke is a Gentile.
You can kick against that truth if you wish.

Why do you think that God would have all of the writer of the Bible be Israelite's.... except one?
Why do you think God could not use a Gentile believer?
What rule says they must be excluded from being inspired to write about the good news of the Lord Jesus Christ?

Melchizedek was not a flesh descendant of Abraham and yet was already a priest of the Most High God at Salem (Jerusalem).
And lo and behold it would be this very non-flesh descendant of Abe that would be the very type of priest Christ would be.
Believers of the Most High God never were exclusive to descendants of Abraham.

Right Divider

Body part
Truth.
It is truth that the majority of scholars say Luke is a Gentile.
You can kick against that truth if you wish.
Again, since they can be right or wrong... it's meaningless. It's proves absolutely nothing.
Why do you think God could not use a Gentile believer?
The correct question is not "can He", but "did He". The answer is NO.
What rule says they must be excluded from being inspired to write about the good news of the Lord Jesus Christ?
None, but irrelevant.
Melchizedek was not a flesh descendant of Abraham and yet was already a priest of the Most High God at Salem (Jerusalem).
And lo and behold it would be this very non-flesh descendant of Abe that would be the very type of priest Christ would be.
Believers of the Most High God never were exclusive to descendants of Abraham.
Again, irrelevant (and continuing off-topic).