Jessica Simpson's Outrageous Comment

Rimi

allsmiles said:
if someone doesn't think it's wrong and someone does, then no, it's obviously not absolutely wrong.

let this thread die now, the last word is very over-rated. :yawn:

You're absolutely wrong. It doesn't matter what our opinions are. You don't have to like it. But murder is wrong. Rape of a baby isn't ever gonna be right. Regardless of what you or a perp thinks.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Smiles, you're talking to a woman who think cutting off a wife's hand is cool. The battle is over, the war is won. :chuckle:

Rimi

Yeah, let's do allsmiles and pepper a big favor here since they've shown what low lifes they really are.

Rimi

Granite said:
Smiles, you're talking to a woman who think cutting off a wife's hand is cool. The battle is over, the war is won. :chuckle:

No, dopey, I agreed with that verse in Deut because I trust God. You, on the other had, are as bad or worse than allsmiles.

allsmiles

Rimi said:
From you? Nothing. Not a thing. You could hear me screaming and because it's not your problem, don't worry yer purty lil head. You see the guy leaving my home, don't bother reporting it and helping capture him, because it's just not your problem. No big deal. Sorry to burden you. Wouldn't want to put you on the spot of having to possibly tell a rapist or a murderer that they might be absolutely wrong. Carry on.

stopping a rapist murderer from inflicting harm on my neighbor has nothing to do with absolutes, you're being a fool and I think you take yourself far too seriously. absolutes mean nothing, they don't change anything, and i never said that i wouldn't help you if your life was endangered by a maniac, you put those words in my mouth friend.

protecting human life is not a moral dilemma.

now, can we let this thread die please?

koban

erinmarie said:
Okay, this is a true exercise in futility...

I bet if a moderator were around, this thread would be such down...

:noid:

Are you saying that most of this is goose feathers? :chuckle:

Rimi

allsmiles said:
stopping a rapist murderer from inflicting harm on my neighbor has nothing to do with absolutes, you're being a fool and I think you take yourself far too seriously. absolutes mean nothing, they don't change anything, and i never said that i wouldn't help you if your life was endangered by a maniac, you put those words in my mouth friend.

protecting human life is not a moral dilemma.

now, can we let this thread die please?

Absolutes mean everything. You're being a fool for being afraid to admit that. See, if I'm wrong, so what. But if you're wrong, well, then there goes your license to do whatever you want. Ah, but you know you're wrong, so you must spend all this time defending a lie. Can't deal with the truth.

Protecting human life IS a moral dilemma if there are no absolutes. Because if there are no absolutes, then it's OK to rape babies, kill Jews, return to slavery.

You need this to die? Don't respond.

GuySmiley

Pepper said:
He never said that HE didn't believe that rape was wrong. I don't believe in absolutes, but I believe rape is wrong, I believe murder is wrong, there are many things that I believe are wrong. As for absolutes, unfortunately, not everyone has the same morals as everyone else. Sociopaths don't see what's wrong with murder, they don't believe it to be wrong.
You're just going to continue to use this thread and this argument as a way to say that we're horrible people and that allsmiles thinks that rape is ok, which is not what he is saying at all. We're not horrible people because we don't believe in absolutes, not believing in absolutes doesn't make one without morals. So just drop the whole thing, you're wasting your time and our time.
Pepper, if I don't accuse you of condoning rape or being a bad person can we talk about it? It's is interesting to me because I've never discusses with anyone who admits this view (but I'm new to TOL). From what I've seen from you before, I think you have the best intentions.

Can you imagine a society based on moral relativism? It seems to be a very impracticle view, if you tried to follow it in everyday life. How could we punish someone for a crime if they didn't consider it wrong? Since in this worldview, you leave room for everyone's interpretation of what is right or wrong. I think only anarchy fits that type of worldview.

"believing in doctrine is bad enough, but if you start trying to reason from it, you churn out an ever growing list of absurdities which you also have to believe." -G.E.
I posted your sig line because I think if you apply it to this 'doctrine' you'll see that it wont work for practicle life. I do not mean to attack you personally.

Hasan_ibn_Sabah

The way I see it any male who objects to the way Jessica Simpson looks is probably a homosexual or has homosexual tendencies and is intimidated by the physical charms of a female, no red-blooded heterosexual male is go object to Jessica's obvious hotness.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Rimi said:
No, dopey, I agreed with that verse in Deut because I trust God. You, on the other had, are as bad or worse than allsmiles.

:yawn:

Excuse me if I think mutiliating women is somehow a bad idea, butch.

death2impiety

Maximeee's Husband
allsmiles said:
that could be true as well, but remorse counts for very little after someone hypothetically rapes someone dear to me. if moral obligation were so important to a rapist, he wouldn't be a rapist, and i'm sorry you have compared your desire to do moral wrong with the desire of a degenerate criminal.

all of this is based on what we think a rapist feels or thinks, we can't get into their heads. maybe he felt a moral obligation, maybe he didn't. the existence or non-existence of moral absolutes is meaningless because it doesn't change the effects of the atrocity. it's a useless squabble and just one more prime example of christians inventing something to complain about when an existing excuse does not present itself. couldn't nail us on JS's boobs so you conveniently shift the entire topic of conversation to a meaningless, pointless, effectless argument that men have been chasing their tails on for hundreds of years.

nice bait and switch, but frankly, i'm just having fun at this point.

Slow down hombre! I didn't bait and switch...I replied to your post. Where this thread went off topic I don't know but it wasn't my doing.

It doesn't matter how much remorse counts for after some evil is committed. The point I was arguing was that it (remorse) is there and it effectively reflects that said individual has acknowledged that they have violated their conscience.

I wouldn't nail anyone on JS's boobs if I could...I imagine such a thing would make a serious mess.

koban

Hasan_ibn_Sabah said:
The way I see it any male who objects to the way Jessica Simpson looks is probably a homosexual or has homosexual tendencies and is intimidated by the physical charms of a female, no red-blooded heterosexual male is go object to Jessica's obvious hotness.

Certainly nobody could rationally defend an argument that she should go around dressed in a potato bag because her looks might cause some weak minded male to stumble.

I think what Turbo was getting at was that her actions, combined with her looks as she chooses to emphasize them display a disregard for modesty and a certain sluttishness. Now, I say this never having seen the MTV video in question, but I've seen enough of the like to imagine.

Modesty (and may I say humility) are commodities in short supply nowadays.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
koban said:
I think what Turbo was getting at was that her actions, combined with her looks as she chooses to emphasize them display a disregard for modesty and a certain sluttishness. Now, I say this never having seen the MTV video in question, but I've seen enough of the like to imagine.
:up:

GuySmiley

Hasan_ibn_Sabah said:
I dont think anyone objects to how JS looks. As if she should get fat or something. On the contrary, I for one am glad God made women the way He did. Its her actions that are objectionable.

allsmiles

Rimi said:
Absolutes mean everything. You're being a fool for being afraid to admit that.

I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that I'm afraid...

See, if I'm wrong, so what. But if you're wrong, well, then there goes your license to do whatever you want. Ah, but you know you're wrong, so you must spend all this time defending a lie. Can't deal with the truth.

i don't do whatever i want, i have a sense of civility and decency, like, not calling people liars for example, or killing or raping. they are a matter of morality, yes, but morals differ from person to person, from culture to culture. in medeival japan is was morally right to cut off the head of your enemy, or to disembowel yourself after suffering humiliation. in biblical times it was morally right to kill your children when they showed you disrespect. i don't think i'm lying, i'm not afraid, and i'm a fine person without your moral absolutes.

Protecting human life IS a moral dilemma if there are no absolutes. Because if there are no absolutes, then it's OK to rape babies, kill Jews, return to slavery.

no, it's not, I know this because i don't believe in absolutes and it's not a dilemma for me. and even without absolutes it's not okay for me to rape babies or kill people or own slaves. i don't need absolutes to know these things, in a way, I am my own absolute.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
allsmiles said:
never said i was perfect, nor do i claim to adhere to a god inspired system of moral values.

According to allsmiles, rape is not absolutely wrong.

Granite

Hall of Fame
And according to you people:

It was once okay to seize young virgins after killing their families
It was once okay to cut off the hand of a wife defending her husband
It was once okay to burn women alive if they dishonored their priestly father
It was once okay to bludgeon people to death in public
It was once okay to marry your half sister

Now.

Is anyone here going to say that mutilating women and marrying your half sibling is ABSOLUTELY wrong, or were these things only wrong at the time?

koban

death2impiety said:
Slow down hombre! I didn't bait and switch...I replied to your post. Where this thread went off topic I don't know but it wasn't my doing.

It doesn't matter how much remorse counts for after some evil is committed. The point I was arguing was that it (remorse) is there and it effectively reflects that said individual has acknowledged that they have violated their conscience.

One of the clinical definitions of Psychopath includes the lack of conscience, the lack of knowledge of right and wrong. Those few true psychopaths feel no remorse because they are totally disconnected from humanity. They not only do not "love their neighbor as themselves", they can't even understand the conception. I wonder if this is not an approximation to hell here on earth. :think:

I wouldn't nail anyone on JS's boobs if I could...I imagine such a thing would make a serious mess.

Bleeeechhh - silicone all over the place. :chuckle:

The American fascination with breasts is one that mystifies other cultures. After all, they're just fatty tissue, no different than the fat bellies of middle aged men. :think: