James White to Debate Bob Enyart on Open Theism

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
God has promised that He will bring about the greater good out of the evil in this world. White notes that the open theist can make no such claim.

Calvinism -- Something bad happens, God will work all things together for the good of those who love Him.

Open theism -- Something bad happens, God will work all things together for the good of those who love Him.

Adam

Hall of Fame
Calvinism -- Something bad happens, God will work all things together for the good of those who love Him.
Correct statement of Calvinism.
Open theism -- Something bad happens, God will work all things together for the good of those who love Him.
Incorrect statement.

Open Theism = Something bad happens: God, and those who love Him, will bring about good things.

Adam

Hall of Fame
I liked the part about Open Theism where God was shocked Adam sinned. WoW!

Incorrect. I'm an Open Theist and I've never believed that God was shocked that Adam sinned. I believe that God would have been shocked if Adam didn't sin.

Adam

Hall of Fame
Could you elaborate on the difference?

Yes. According to Romans 8:28, God works together with us to bring about good things.

The way the Calvinists read it, God is doing all the work.

In the real world though, it makes sense that God, a free being, would work together with free beings to bring about good.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes. According to Romans 8:28, God works together with us to bring about good things. The way the Calvinists read it, God is doing all the work. In the real world though, it makes sense that God, a free being, would work together with free beings to bring about good.

OK.

However, to be fair, my statement was not incorrect -- just a little lacking in details. :)

npatterson85

Really looking forward to listening to the debate. I actually like James White. He has some really good stuff outside of Calvinism. His videos that I've seen explaining the Trinity, especially his debate w/ Michael Brown against Sir Anthony Buzzard and Joe Good really helped me when I was wrestling with the Trinity.

Admittedly, I haven't listened to Bob Enyart debate outside of reading about 1/2 of his Battle Royale X w/ Sam L. A lot of it went over my head initially because I was just dipping my big toe into the pool of Open Theism to try and understand it better, outside of just listening to Greg Boyd all of the time. I did listen to the Plot, and read part of it (haven't finished it yet), but that seemed to be much more geared towards MAD rather than Open Theism. I learn better by audio listening, and watching sides go back and forth.

Knight's final tally after listening to the debate seems very promising. I'm especially looking forward to the cross-examination portion where he said that Bob Enyart did extremely well vs. James White.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
A summary of James Whites answers....

"Yes, the Bible says that, but what it really means is..."

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Bob Enyart Cross Examines James White found on YouTube also.

Bob Enyart Cross Examines James White

In this clip, we see what happens many times when asked to give a yes/no or true/false answer to a question. Answering with a yes/no or true/false is avoided.

Here we see James White avoiding to answer with yes/no or true/false.
And yet, we have seen James White require a yes/no or true/false answer with questions he asks.

(BTW, I am not saying that James White is the only one that does this.)

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think this was the strongest segment for Bob. He didn't obfuscate like White did during his cross examination. He answered the questions plain, concise, and to the point.

That is what attracted me to the OT position. In thinking about bible passages, OT allows the plain meaning to be retained. When a passages says that God repented, there is no need to believe the word does not apply.

npatterson85

When Bob cross examines James White, I find it fascinating that James refuses to use the word "change" like when Bob asked if God changed when he took on flesh in the flesh of Christ. And James just keeps saying "God took an action, if you understand the hypostatic union... blah blah blah." And I like James White! But Bob definitely was drilling him.

The two natures change was a good argument as well. Bob - "Do you believe that Jesus had 1 nature in eternity past, but now has 2 natures?" James - "Yes."