It's time to STOP, TURN AROUND, and RETURN to the LORD! (The Days of Awe)

BenAvraham

The month of "Elul" A time for self-examination, reflection, "Days of Awe" and time to ask ourselves "How is my relationship with God?"

It's time to STOP, TURN AROUND, and RETURN to the LORD!

The month of "Elul" started on the 18th of this month. Erev Shabbat. It is a time to think about God's mercy (Rachamim) his forgiveness, (Selichot) and grace (Chen). We are looking at and going through 40 days of "Awe" culminating on Yom Kippur, in the month of Tishrei (towards the end of September).

We should ask ourselves these questions: Is my relationship with God on the "up and up?" Is my family relationship good? Is there secret sin in my life that I have not confessed? Have I gotten off the straight and narrow road and now I am in the thorn bushes? If I were to die right now, would the LORD welcome me with open arms with the words "Well done my faithful servant?" or would he have a paddle in his hand ready to tan my fanny about 1000 times?

All these are questions we should ask ourselves including "Have I offended others and have not asked forgiveness?" We would probably have to answer yes to many of these questions. So, it is time for "Teshuvah" or "Shoov" which means "turn around, have a change of mind and go the other way" towards the LORD once again.

"Elul" has 4 letters, both in Hebrew and in English. the number "4" can mean the 4 corners of the world. All inhabitants of the 4 corners of the world should take time now and reflect on their personal relationship with Adonai. The Hebrew gematria of "Elul" is 67. This is also the gematria of the word "Binah" (understanding). We need to "understand" that our relationship with the LORD is real and if we are lacking, we need to make amends and return to our first love.

The word "Elul" also has the acronyms for the Song of Solomon 6:3 "I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine" "Ani L'Dodi V'Dodi Li"
If we are HIS beloved, then, if we have strayed away from the bridegroom, we need to come back. The number "67" in gematria can also be added up to "13" (6 + 7) This reminds us of the 13 attributes of Adonai, which include; mercy, forgiveness, and longsuffering grace. (Rachamim, Selichah, and Chen) (Exodus 34:6-7)

According to the great sage Rambam, there are 4 steps to "returning" (Teshuvah) 1. realizing our error (sin) 2. abandon our sinful ways 3. Confession of our sin to God, or to the person we have offended, 4. Resolve not to repeat our sinful act. The woman caught in the act of adultery is a good example. (In the New Testament).

Here are some good Bible verses to read during this time of "Elul" that speak of "returning;"

Psalm 27; Deut 30:2; Jeremiah 3:12-15; Joel 2:13; Hosea 14:1; Zechariah 1:3; Nehemiah 1:9; Job 22:23; Isaiah 59:20;55:7

Here are some good Bible verses that speak on "mercy and grace"

Proverbs 28:13; Psalm 145:8; Ephesians 2:4-5; Luke 6:36;

Here is something interesting about the Hebrew word "Rachamim" (mercy, merciful) it comes from the root word "rechem" which means "womb" The mother protects her child inside her womb, since the child is part of her, yet also, separate from her. So therefore, the LORD wishes to protect us within the confines of his WORD. And wants HIS Word to be part of us, yet wandering away from HIS Word, is to go beyond his protection. (the "ch" in Hebrew is pronounced like an "h")

So, be mindful of these days of "awe" yet we are free to "shoov" anytime, 24-7. God's heart is always open.

Shalom.... Ben Avraham

It's time to STOP, TURN AROUND, and COME DOWN from that mountain, a little too steep for this little guy. (ME.. in 1962, age 8)
IMG_0975.JPG