Israel - The Lost Sheep and the Prodigal Son

iamaberean

In 722 BC, Samaria was conquered by the Assyrians and the Israelites were dispersed into surrounding nations (2 Ki. 17)

At this time in history the Children of Israel lived in what was known as Northern Israel. The tribe of Judea and Benjamin lived in Southern Israel. In 2 kings we can see that the children of Israel went a whoring after other gods and was dispersed and became slaves of the Assyrians.

In 605 BC and 598 BC, King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylonia invaded Judah and in 586 B.C. Jerusalem was destroyed. Many of the Jews were taken to exile in Babylon. A few years later, 538bc, the Jews were allowed to return to Jerusalem to rebuild the temple.

Mat 15:24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Mat 10:5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
Mat 10:6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
The 12 Apostles were sent only to witness to the lost sheep of Israel. They must have known where they were located in order to do so.

The Jews stayed at home in Jerusalem until again they were dispersed, but for many, have continued to live under the law.

One stayed at home and the other continued to live in the cesspool called the world. Now read the rest of the story, the prodigal son. Luke 15: 11-32.

Did you notice that the prodigal son returns home in the story? In reality he hasn't returned yet, but he will very soon!

Last edited:

chair

The term "Israel" does not always refer specifically to those northern tribes. It is often a generic term that includes all Israelites.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
And Simeon.

Most of the tribe of Simeon disappeared while Jacob's people were in the wilderness.

From the children of Simeon, their genealogies by their families, by their fathers’ house, of those who were numbered, according to the number of names, every male individually, from twenty years old and above, all who were able to go to war: those who were numbered of the tribe of Simeon were fifty-nine thousand three hundred. (Numbers 1:22-23)​

There was a second census.

The sons of Simeon according to their families were: of Nemuel, the family of the Nemuelites; of Jamin, the family of the Jaminites; of Jachin, the family of the Jachinites; of Zerah, the family of the Zarhites; of Shaul, the family of the Shaulites. These are the families of the Simeonites: twenty-two thousand two hundred. (Numbers 26:12-14)​

There is a difference of 37,100 men and their families who went somewhere else.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The term "Israel" does not always refer specifically to those northern tribes. It is often a generic term that includes all Israelites.

And the term "Jew" does not refer to the northern tribes. In fact, two of the tribes came from native born Egyptians, the sons of Joseph.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Most of the tribe of Simeon disappeared while Jacob's people were in the wilderness.
From the children of Simeon, their genealogies by their families, by their fathers’ house, of those who were numbered, according to the number of names, every male individually, from twenty years old and above, all who were able to go to war: those who were numbered of the tribe of Simeon were fifty-nine thousand three hundred. (Numbers 1:22-23)​

There was a second census.
The sons of Simeon according to their families were: of Nemuel, the family of the Nemuelites; of Jamin, the family of the Jaminites; of Jachin, the family of the Jachinites; of Zerah, the family of the Zarhites; of Shaul, the family of the Shaulites. These are the families of the Simeonites: twenty-two thousand two hundred. (Numbers 26:12-14)​

There is a difference of 37,100 men and their families who went somewhere else.
Yet their tribal allotment was in the southern region.

I believe the dividing of the tribes when the nation split was for tribal allotment and not meant to be every single descendant of said tribe.

iamaberean

Sometimes, but when the tribes split the north was known as Israel and the south as Judah.

On the succession of Solomon's son, Rehoboam, in c. 930 BCE the biblical account reports that the country split into two kingdoms; the Kingdom of Israel (including the cities of Shechem and Samaria) in the north and the Kingdom of Judah (containing Jerusalem) in the south.

Today we know that the Jew's are still in Israel living under law, the northern tribes of Israel never returned in large numbers as the Jews did.

My point is that Jesus did not come for the Jews, he came for the lost sheep of Israel. He told his disciples not to go to Samaria, not to the Gentiles, but only to the lost sheep of Israel. The disciples didn't ask where they were at, they just went. Where were they, history says they migrated north into Europe and England. As I started reading I realized that the tribes of Israel intermarried with those in the countries and in many cases, most probably, forgot their heritage, but God knows. How does that fit, well the scripture that comes to me is.

Rom 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
I had always thought of fulness of the Gentiles meant coming to God, but it appears that most of the Gentiles have been brought in by marriage.

iamaberean

"Israel" means Jews in this context. Jews usually often refer to themselves as "Israel", to this day.

In 926 and 922bc the ten tribes in the north revolted and there became two kingdoms, Israel and Judea. The 10 tribes of the north lived in Israel and the south was known as Judah. It is the tribes of Israel that were scattered and never returned to their land. The land to the south, known as Judea, were primarily from that tribe, and although scattered themselves, they had returned prior to the time of Jesus walking here on earth. Jesus would not have called those living in Judah, lost sheep. It was those that had lived in the north, Israel, they are called "the ten lost tribes of Israel."

Of course all of the tribes are children of Israel (Jacob) but not all were lost.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/History/Kingdoms1.html

iamaberean

Quote Originally Posted by iamaberean
Sometimes, but when the tribes split the north was known as Israel and the south as Judah.

If that were true there would be a House of Israel and a House of Judah. Who's gonna believe that?

Jer 5:11 For the house of Israel and the house of Judah have dealt very treacherously against me, saith the LORD.

Jer 5:15 Lo, I will bring a nation upon you from far, O house of Israel, saith the LORD: it is a mighty nation, it is an ancient nation, a nation whose language thou knowest not, neither understandest what they say.

iamaberean

Where are the ten tribes today?

Following the conquest of the northern kingdom by the Assyrians in 721 bc, the 10 tribes were gradually assimilated by other peoples and thus disappeared from history.

There is a very interesting theory here and pdf download:

https://www.thetrumpet.com/literature/44/the-united-states-and-britain-in-prophecy?preview

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In 926 and 922bc the ten tribes in the north revolted and there became two kingdoms, Israel and Judea. The 10 tribes of the north lived in Israel and the south was known as Judah. It is the tribes of Israel that were scattered and never returned to their land. The land to the south, known as Judea, were primarily from that tribe, and although scattered themselves, they had returned prior to the time of Jesus walking here on earth. Jesus would not have called those living in Judah, lost sheep. It was those that had lived in the north, Israel, they are called "the ten lost tribes of Israel."

Of course all of the tribes are children of Israel (Jacob) but not all were lost.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/History/Kingdoms1.html
I wanted to comment on the part I made red in your quote, and what the word "lost" could refer to.

Psalms 119:176 KJV
(176) I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek thy servant; for I do not forget thy commandments.

Isaiah 53:6 KJV
(6) All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Jeremiah 50:6 KJV
(6) My people hath been lost sheep: their shepherds have caused them to go astray, they have turned them away on the mountains: they have gone from mountain to hill, they have forgotten their restingplace.

Jeremiah 50:17 KJV
(17) Israel is a scattered sheep; the lions have driven him away: first the king of Assyria hath devoured him; and last this Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon hath broken his bones.

Matthew 9:36 KJV
(36) But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd.

Numbers 27:17 KJV
(17) Which may go out before them, and which may go in before them, and which may lead them out, and which may bring them in; that the congregation of the LORD be not as sheep which have no shepherd.

beloved57

In 722 BC, Samaria was conquered by the Assyrians and the Israelites were dispersed into surrounding nations (2 Ki. 17)

At this time in history the Children of Israel lived in what was known as Northern Israel. The tribe of Judea and Benjamin lived in Southern Israel. In 2 kings we can see that the children of Israel went a whoring after other gods and was dispersed and became slaves of the Assyrians.

In 605 BC and 598 BC, King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylonia invaded Judah and in 586 B.C. Jerusalem was destroyed. Many of the Jews were taken to exile in Babylon. A few years later, 538bc, the Jews were allowed to return to Jerusalem to rebuild the temple.

Mat 15:24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Mat 10:5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
Mat 10:6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
The 12 Apostles were sent only to witness to the lost sheep of Israel. They must have known where they were located in order to do so.

The Jews stayed at home in Jerusalem until again they were dispersed, but for many, have continued to live under the law.

One stayed at home and the other continued to live in the cesspool called the world. Now read the rest of the story, the prodigal son. Luke 15: 11-32.

Did you notice that the prodigal son returns home in the story? In reality he hasn't returned yet, but he will very soon!

Israel , Abrahams descendants according to the flesh, they are not the children of God Rom 9:8

[FONT=&quot]That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

[/FONT]
See Christ came to gather the Children of God Jn 11:51,52

[FONT=&quot]And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]52 And not for that nation only, but that also he should gather together in one the children of God that were scattered abroad.

He never came for Israel Abrahams physical descendants because theyre not the children of God ![/FONT]