Is there a defference between an eye for an eye and do to others what ou want done to

Is there a defference between an eye for an eye and do to others what ou want done to

• Total voters

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Interesting how you choose to ignore parts of people's posts when you reply.

As such, there is really only one thing worth addressing in your post:

genuineoriginal said:
If you think Jesus abolished the law through His death on the cross, then you have no reason to follow those two commandments.
I do not keep Jesus's commands out of any legal requirement to do so, there no such requirement. I keep His commandments because He loved me first. I keep His commandments because of love for Him and those He died for.

genuineoriginal

there is really only one thing worth addressing in your post:

I do not keep Jesus's commands out of any legal requirement to do so, there no such requirement. I keep His commandments because He loved me first. I keep His commandments because of love for Him and those He died for.
Good, that is what I teach.

You may have missed it in your attempt to claim I am being overly legalistic.

Do you believe it is okay to rebel against the commandments of God found in the Torah?

1 John 5:2-3
2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.​

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Good, that is what I teach.

You may have missed it in your attempt to claim I am being overly legalistic.

Do you believe it is okay to rebel against the commandments of God found in the Torah?

1 John 5:2-3
2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.​

Sorry, I won't bow to your legalism. Christian law is not about keeping the law of the Torah. Read what Paul had to say about what you teach in Galatians.

genuineoriginal

Sorry, I won't bow to your legalism.
I am not the author of 1 John, why would you think I am?

Christian law is not about keeping the law of the Torah. Read what Paul had to say about what you teach in Galatians.
Maybe you should read more of Paul's teachings.

Ephesians 6:1-3
1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.
2 Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise;
3 That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.​

Paul is being such a legalist.
:rolleyes:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Is there a difference between the Old Covenant “eye for an eye” and the New Covenant “do to others what you want done to you”?

There is this passage from Leviticus

Leviticus 24:19-21New International Version (NIV)
19 Anyone who injures their neighbor is to be injured in the same manner: 20 fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. The one who has inflicted the injury must suffer the same injury. 21 Whoever kills an animal must make restitution, but whoever kills a human being is to be put to death.

Versus this passage from Luke

Luke 6:27-31New International Version (NIV)
Love for Enemies
27 “But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

I say the two are mutually exclusive propositions. Eye for an eye is about punishment and retribution. If somebody hurts you, you hurt them back exactly the same way. It is very satisfying to our human nature and the exact opposite to what Jesus taught.

What Jesus taught is the exact opposite. If somebody hurts you, Jesus says you are to turn the other cheek. In short, if you don’t like getting hurt, don’t others even when they hurt you first. That is a very different and much higher standard than an eye for an eye.

The difference is the OT passage is a mandate for a system of criminal justice, while the NT passage is a philosophy for right living.

Jesus upheld the law, thus He would have never said anything that would overturn it.