Immaculate Conception in the Bible

In my book Behold Your Mother: A Biblical and Historical Defense of the Marian Doctrines, I give eight reasons for belief in the Immaculate Conception:

1. Mary is revealed to be “full of grace” in Luke 1:28.
2. Mary is revealed to be the fulfillment of the prophetic “Daughter of Zion” of Isaiah 12:1-6; Zephaniah 3:14-16; Zechariah 2:10; etc.
3. Mary is revealed to be “the beginning of the new creation” in fulfillment of the prophecy of Jeremiah 31:22.
4. Mary is revealed to possess a “blessed state” parallel with Christ’s in Luke 1:42.
5. Mary is called not just “blessed” among women, but “more blessed than all women” (including Eve) in Luke 1:42.
6. Mary is revealed to be the spotless “Ark of the Covenant” in Luke 1.
7. Mary is revealed to be the “New Eve” in Luke 1:37-38; John 2:4, 19:26-27; Revelation 12; and elsewhere.
8. Mary is revealed to be free from the pangs of labor in fulfillment of Isaiah 66:7-8.

Here, I will present some snippets from three of these biblical reasons for the immaculate conception:

More:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
There's a giant hole in the Catholic "immaculate conception" doctrine.

Scripture simply doesn't support it.

. . .

Spiritual death is inherited from the father, not from mom. Thus Jesus could be born from Mary's body, yet not inherit her sin. Regarding the Incarnation of Christ, some have taught that for Jesus to be born of Mary without inheriting sin, that Mary herself must have been immaculately conceived. However, that only begs the question. For then, how could Mary have been born to her mom, if her mother had not herself been miraculously conceived? So the claim that Mary was immaculately conceived, which the Bible does not teach, would require immaculate conceptions "all the way down," beginning with one of the daughters of Eve, through one of Noah's daughters-in-law, through Sarah, Rebekah, Leah, Tamar, Rahab, and Ruth, and so on to Mary's own unnamed mother.

But that was not how Jesus could be "born of a woman" (Gal. 4:4), yet without sin (Heb. 4:15). For children inherit spiritual death from their father, not their mother. The Bible does not teach that all the world died in Eve. Rather, even in the most technically careful theological passages, the Apostle Paul wrote that, "by the one man’s offense many died," for "in Adam all die," and death "came through the one who sinned," and the results of sin came "from one offense," so that "by the one man’s offense death reigned through the one," and "through one man sin entered the world" (Rom. 5:12-17; 1 Cor. 15:22). From the time of the curse in Eden God prophesied a coming victory by the seed of the woman (Gen. 3:15). However, the Savior was also promised to be the "seed" of Abraham (Gen. 22:18), of Isaac (Gen. 26:4), and of Jacob (Gen. 28:14). And a thousand years before Jesus' birth, God gave this messianic prophecy to Israel's King David, "I will set up your seed after you, who will come from your body… and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever" (2 Sam. 7:12-14). So when the Holy Spirit overshadowed Mary (Luke 1:35), He provided the genetic compliment to the 23 chromosomes of her own ovum, so that the Scriptures could be literally be fulfilled that He was a true descendant of Abraham and David, yet He was also the seed of the woman, and thus, without sin.

. . .

From https://kgov.com/age-of-accountability

Leatherneck

Temp Banned

In my book Behold Your Mother: A Biblical and Historical Defense of the Marian Doctrines, I give eight reasons for belief in the Immaculate Conception:

1. Mary is revealed to be “full of grace” in Luke 1:28.
2. Mary is revealed to be the fulfillment of the prophetic “Daughter of Zion” of Isaiah 12:1-6; Zephaniah 3:14-16; Zechariah 2:10; etc.
3. Mary is revealed to be “the beginning of the new creation” in fulfillment of the prophecy of Jeremiah 31:22.
4. Mary is revealed to possess a “blessed state” parallel with Christ’s in Luke 1:42.
5. Mary is called not just “blessed” among women, but “more blessed than all women” (including Eve) in Luke 1:42.
6. Mary is revealed to be the spotless “Ark of the Covenant” in Luke 1.
7. Mary is revealed to be the “New Eve” in Luke 1:37-38; John 2:4, 19:26-27; Revelation 12; and elsewhere.
8. Mary is revealed to be free from the pangs of labor in fulfillment of Isaiah 66:7-8.

Here, I will present some snippets from three of these biblical reasons for the immaculate conception:

More:

Text without context is a pre-text, and there is a whole bunch of that going on in your argument. Mary was a sinner by her own admission. Mary said,”my spirit has rejoiced in God my savior” Luke 1:47. No need of being saved if you aren’t lost. Luk 1:47 - And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

Tim Staples: The Bible and the Immaculate Conception - Catholic Answers Live - 12/08/17

Tim Staples: The Bible and the Immaculate Conception

Text without context is a pre-text

I am well aware of that. However, in this case, the fact that God saved the Blessed Virgin from being born into Original Sin is a fact revealed by God. You can learn about it, or you can reject God's truth. Your choice. I am not going to attempt to convince you one way or the other.

Leatherneck

Temp Banned
Luke 1
I am well aware of that. However, in this case, the fact that God saved the Blessed Virgin from being born into Original Sin is a fact revealed by God. You can learn about it, or you can reject God's truth. Your choice. I am not going to attempt to convince you one way or the other.
Scripture contradicts a sinless Mary. Mary said, “my soul rejoices in God my savior”. Luke 1:47. No need of a savior if you aren’t lost.

Scripture contradicts a sinless Mary. Mary said, “my soul rejoices in God my savior”. Luke 1:47. No need of a savior if you aren’t lost.

Yes, Jesus is her savior. That is no contradiction. She was just saved at the moment of her conception, whereas the rest of us have to wait a little bit longer. That's all. No contradiction at all.

I don't think you really even understand what the Immaculate Conception is, do you.

Leatherneck

Temp Banned
Yes, Jesus is her savior. That is no contradiction. She was just saved at the moment of her conception, whereas the rest of us have to wait a little bit longer. That's all. No contradiction at all.

I don't think you really even understand what the Immaculate Conception is, do you.
Post the scripture where Mary was saved at conception. I do not believe RCC oral traditions, which are based on what folks want to believe with 0 scriptural support.

Leatherneck

Temp Banned
There

There is only one IC in the Bible and it is Jesus not Mary, which makes the title of the OP false.

Leatherneck

Temp Banned
Tim Staples: The Bible and the Immaculate Conception - Catholic Answers Live - 12/08/17

Tim Staples: The Bible and the Immaculate Conception

I watched your video and let me say I have never seen so many dreamed up conclusions with zero scriptural evidence. Inferred, implied, and absolutely created to support a 100% lie. Mary was not sinless nor is she co anything regarding payment for sin. Mary was Jesus’ mother end of story. Mary had children with Joseph and scripture records their names.