ECT If MAD is False Why Did Paul Make the Distinction in Romans 4:16?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
"Jesus said" to sell all you have, scammer, as you try to deceitfully assert that all of the scripture is written to everyone, specifically, for their obedience.

Do it.

I thought so-fraud, poser, scammer.

And show some respect-it is the Lord Jesus Christ, not "Jesus." Only his enemies, while He was on earth, addressed him as "Jesus." Oh, yes-you are His enemy.

All Christians know you speak like a demon.

LA

themuzicman

James point is that Abraham was justified by works, and not by faith alone. So why the difference?

Because James is addressing a different topic than Paul is. Paul is distinguishing justification via the law (merit) from justification by faith (reckoned as righteous).

James, OTOH, is distinguishing an intellectual "faith", a mere acknowledging of facts, with real faith in God, which results in a change in one's works. Effectively James is saying that Abraham acted because of his faith, and that's the example we are to follow.

And MAD has never said those under the Law weren't saved by faith.

But they say that the Jews must follow the law.

And you're missing the blatantly obvious as Paul states there are those who are children of Abraham through the Law and those who are his children through faith. Two different sets of people.

Except that those who are children through the law only were being prepared for wrath, see Romans 9:6-8, 22.

Interplanner

Because James is addressing a different topic than Paul is. Paul is distinguishing justification via the law (merit) from justification by faith (reckoned as righteous).

James, OTOH, is distinguishing an intellectual "faith", a mere acknowledging of facts, with real faith in God, which results in a change in one's works. Effectively James is saying that Abraham acted because of his faith, and that's the example we are to follow.

Except that those who are children through the law only were being prepared for wrath, see Romans 9:6-8, 22.

Good point, although I think if you truly know Romans, 'under the law' can just be a way of saying your background like 'Armenian' or 'Floridian.' It can designate a people-group, and does so in Rom 4:16. It's one of those cases where D'ism is way too literal, and overthinks.

john w

Hall of Fame
All Christians know you speak like a demon.

LA

That is your best shot, Christ rejector, as I once again picked you apart, and your daddy the devil's "argument?" Careful, child of the devil......Your fellow children of the devil would not appreciate you using their names, "demon," so carelessly. It is not to be applied to members of the boc, such as myself.

And you are grinding your teeth, as you read this, Christ rejector, as you would not know what Christians know....

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That is your best shot, Christ rejector, as I once again picked you apart, and your daddy the devil's "argument?" Careful, child of the devil......Your fellow children of the devil would not appreciate you using their names, "demon," so carelessly. It is not to be applied to members of the boc, such as myself.

And you are grinding your teeth, as you read this, Christ rejector, as you would not know what Christians know....

You have never accepted the love of God into your heart to know what a Christian is.

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Psa 64:2 Hide me from the secret counsel of the wicked; from the insurrection of the workers of iniquity:
Psa 64:3 Who whet their tongue like a sword, and bend their bows to shoot their arrows, even bitter words:
Psa 64:4 That they may shoot in secret at the perfect: suddenly do they shoot at him, and fear not.
Psa 64:5 They encourage themselves in an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?
Psa 64:6 They search out iniquities; they accomplish a diligent search: both the inward thought of every one of them, and the heart, is deep.
Psa 64:7 But God shall shoot at them with an arrow; suddenly shall they be wounded.
Psa 64:8 So they shall make their own tongue to fall upon themselves: all that see them shall flee away.

SaulToPaul 2

Psa 64:2 Hide me from the secret counsel of the wicked; from the insurrection of the workers of iniquity:
Psa 64:3 Who whet their tongue like a sword, and bend their bows to shoot their arrows, even bitter words:
Psa 64:4 That they may shoot in secret at the perfect: suddenly do they shoot at him, and fear not.
Psa 64:5 They encourage themselves in an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?
Psa 64:6 They search out iniquities; they accomplish a diligent search: both the inward thought of every one of them, and the heart, is deep.
Psa 64:7 But God shall shoot at them with an arrow; suddenly shall they be wounded.
Psa 64:8 So they shall make their own tongue to fall upon themselves: all that see them shall flee away.

Gen 24:64 (KJV)

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Ok, that helps a little. What do you consider Israel? What do you call Israel of the NC? Kingdom, Church?
In this case Israel is the followers of Christ under the dispensation preached by the 12. Those of Israel outside of the were the lost sheep of the house of Israel. The lost sheep could convert to the NC while it was still going on. They could also convert to the BoC after it started. And once the NC was put on hold the BoC was the only option for following Christ.

They can be called either. But in discussion when the differentiation is necessary there are a few names for them.

Clear me up on this bro...

It appears you are saying that the Believing remnant of Israel (who had believed and were sealed before Paul was saved; commissioned; etc.) ended up in the Body.
No. If they were followers of Christ before Paul then they remained in the "kingdom."

Also, that an unsealed Believing remnant still out there after Paul, who needed to hear Paul's preaching, then ended up in the Body.
Can you elaborate?

I ask because what I see is that the Believing remnant of Israel believed and were then sealed as the true Israel of God before Paul was saved, at the same time that the rest of Israel was concluded having continued "not Israel" and in unbelief before Paul was saved.

And that after Paul was saved, God then began offering salvation to both said Unbelieving Israelites and Gentiles without distinction.
Agreed.

For circumcision profiteth IF thou keep the Law; otherwise circumcision is made uncircumcision, Rom. 2 - which is exactly what the Spirit through a member of the lsrael of God: Stephen, accused Unbelieving Israel of, Acts 7 - of their having failed to keep the Law.

What I see is that the sealed, Believing remnant of Israel (saved and sealed before God concluded the rest in Uncircumcision) were not in God's New Creature: the Body of Christ.

And that those Unbelieving Israelites who later believed after Paul was saved, were saved into God's New Creature: the Body of Christ.
Could Israelites who didn't follow Christ convert to the program of the 12 even after Paul?

The Israel of God and the rest in Unbelief is described in...

Romans 11:7 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded.

In contrast, after the salvation of Paul; the rest in Unbelief were allowed the same Uncircumcision salvation that Paul himself was saved under...

Romans 11:13 For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office: 11:14 If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them. 11:15 For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?

11:30 For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief: 11:31 Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy. 11:32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

Sort of like how the writer of Hebrews is also addressing an issue of Two, Equally Valid gospels - though, in THEIR case, the issue is that of THEIR Former Truth, in contrast to THEIR Present one, as in Hebrews 6, etc.
See above.

Can you show that or is that just what you've always been told from the pulpit?

What would have happened if they hadn't? And what happened to those who followed the law but not in faith?

You mean the time of Jacob's Trouble? What of it?

Good point, although I think if you truly know Romans, 'under the law' can just be a way of saying your background like 'Armenian' or 'Floridian.' It can designate a people-group, and does so in Rom 4:16. It's one of those cases where D'ism is way too literal, and overthinks.
That must be it, because you can't possibly be wrong. MAD must be wrong, at all costs, even if you have to jump through logical hoops of convoluted reasoning to make it so...:rolleyes:

Danoh

Lighthouse, re my question on the following link...

http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...tinction-in-Romans-4-16&p=4864285#post4864285

Where I wrote the following...

"Also, that an unsealed Believing remnant still out there after Paul, who needed to hear Paul's preaching, then ended up in the Body."

What I'd meant by that is that some (very few) hold that in Acts an aspect of Paul's ministry involved his supposedly having been out there attempting to track down what remained of Israel's Believing remnant not yet saved or what have you, that he might get them saved into the Body.

I do not hold that view.

The Believing remnant (election of grace) refers to those of the nation Israel who had believed (that Jesus was the Christ) and were all sealed when the rest were concluded having continued in their willful blindness or hardening of heart before Paul was saved.

As for your other question, no; I do not believe their nation was availed that after God sealed those and concluded the rest under sin with the Gentiles - which is actually the sense of Peter's "no respect of persons" in Acts 10, though he is not yet clear on it til his meeting with Paul.

The unclean animals issue, together with the water baptism issue were about this unclean as a Gentile issue*

And as Paul relates in his account of his two encounters with Peter in Galatians 2, later, after Paul had cleared him up on that, he then had to remind him of this; where he makes his "not sinners of the Gentiles...but...also found sinners" remarks.

* The "experts" on here having continued to refuse to study out the issue behind water baptism in the OT.

whitestone

that is the correct direction I think Acts 10-15 and Paul’s comment in Galatians 2,,,he says he was doing something for "show". Not that I see things as filthy in regards, but that often times the scriptures also point out weaknesses I.e. David,Solomon,Moses,Paul,Peter ect. ...the scriptures don’t seek to hide these things but rather records them to discern left from right on a matter.

Interplanner

In this case Israel is the followers of Christ under the dispensation preached by the 12. Those of Israel outside of the were the lost sheep of the house of Israel. The lost sheep could convert to the NC while it was still going on. They could also convert to the BoC after it started. And once the NC was put on hold the BoC was the only option for following Christ.

They can be called either. But in discussion when the differentiation is necessary there are a few names for them.

No. If they were followers of Christ before Paul then they remained in the "kingdom."

Can you elaborate?

Agreed.

Could Israelites who didn't follow Christ convert to the program of the 12 even after Paul?

See above.

What would have happened if they hadn't? And what happened to those who followed the law but not in faith?

That must be it, because you can't possibly be wrong. MAD must be wrong, at all costs, even if you have to jump through logical hoops of convoluted reasoning to make it so...:rolleyes:

The only reason MAD is wrong is because of the D. D'ism said 2P2P was the indispensable organizing idea of the Bible instead of Christ. Once you let Christ (the Gospel) organize the Bible you do not need to worry about Israel's land promise because of Eph 2-3.

themuzicman

Romans 4:1 What then shall we say was gained by Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh? 2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God. 3 For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness.” 4 Now to the one who works, his wages are not counted as a gift but as his due. 5 And to the one who does not work but believes in[a] him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness

Here we see that Paul is contrasting those works that would be due some result (i.e. righteousness) with faith, for which righteousness is counted, rather than merited.

9 Is this blessing then only for the circumcised, or also for the uncircumcised? For we say that faith was counted to Abraham as righteousness. 10 How then was it counted to him? Was it before or after he had been circumcised? It was not after, but before he was circumcised. 11 He received the sign of circumcision as a seal of the righteousness that he had by faith while he was still uncircumcised. The purpose was to make him the father of all who believe without being circumcised, so that righteousness would be counted to them as well, 12 and to make him the father of the circumcised who are not merely circumcised but who also walk in the footsteps of the faith that our father Abraham had before he was circumcised.

And Paul then ties those works to the law via circumcision, demonstrating that Abraham was made righteous before circumcision to show that all (circumcised, under the law, and uncircumcised, not under the law) are made righteous by this same faith.

And continuing to Romans 9, where Paul deals with this subject further:

30 What shall we say, then? That Gentiles who did not pursue righteousness have attained it, that is, a righteousness that is by faith; 31 but that Israel who pursued a law that would lead to righteousness[d] did not succeed in reaching that law. 32 Why? Because they did not pursue it by faith, but as if it were based on works. They have stumbled over the stumbling stone

So, the Jews were pursuing righteousness by merit, by obeying the law, and have failed to obtain it. This points back to Romans 4, where the Jews wanted righteousness because it was their due for works, that being obeying the law.

James, OTOH, begins chapter 2 by calling out his readers for giving better treatment to the rich than the poor, and calling them out, because this is sinful. This is the setting in which James continues into the section in question:

James 2:14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? 17 So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

So, James' point is that works are a necessary result of our faith.

And he reinforces this point:

James 2:18 But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. 19 You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder! 20 Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless?

So, James is chiding believers regarding the nature of their faith, that it impact their lives so as to show through their actions.

And in this context James says:

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works; 23 and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”—and he was called a friend of God. 24 You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. 25 And in the same way was not also Rahab the prostitute justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? 26 For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.

So, the point isn't that works are required for salvation, but rather that faith requires works that represent that faith. Had Abraham said he believed, but refused to obey God in sacrificing his son, would that have been real faith? Of course not. Likewise with Rahab. If she believed that God was going to give Jericho into Israel's hands, but didn't help the spies, would that be real faith? Of course not.

So, what we see isn't that works are added to faith for salvation, but rather that the nature of our faith needs to be such that our actions reflect that faith.

See Romans 9.

Romans 9 has nothing to do with "Jacob's trouble."

Interplanner

Here we see that Paul is contrasting those works that would be due some result (i.e. righteousness) with faith, for which righteousness is counted, rather than merited.

And Paul then ties those works to the law via circumcision, demonstrating that Abraham was made righteous before circumcision to show that all (circumcised, under the law, and uncircumcised, not under the law) are made righteous by this same faith.

And continuing to Romans 9, where Paul deals with this subject further:

So, the Jews were pursuing righteousness by merit, by obeying the law, and have failed to obtain it. This points back to Romans 4, where the Jews wanted righteousness because it was their due for works, that being obeying the law.

James, OTOH, begins chapter 2 by calling out his readers for giving better treatment to the rich than the poor, and calling them out, because this is sinful. This is the setting in which James continues into the section in question:

So, James' point is that works are a necessary result of our faith.

And he reinforces this point:

So, James is chiding believers regarding the nature of their faith, that it impact their lives so as to show through their actions.

And in this context James says:

So, the point isn't that works are required for salvation, but rather that faith requires works that represent that faith. Had Abraham said he believed, but refused to obey God in sacrificing his son, would that have been real faith? Of course not. Likewise with Rahab. If she believed that God was going to give Jericho into Israel's hands, but didn't help the spies, would that be real faith? Of course not.

So, what we see isn't that works are added to faith for salvation, but rather that the nature of our faith needs to be such that our actions reflect that faith.

See Romans 9.

Romans 9 has nothing to do with "Jacob's trouble."

Yes, it was referring to the wrath of God on some of Israel. The reason it is some of Israel is that not all Israel is Israel. The reason it was wrath was because of unbelief. All that remains is whether it was coming shortly in the destruction of the country. That was the time of trouble.

themuzicman

Yes, it was referring to the wrath of God on some of Israel. The reason it is some of Israel is that not all Israel is Israel. The reason it was wrath was because of unbelief. All that remains is whether it was coming shortly in the destruction of the country. That was the time of trouble.

More specifically, those in Israel who were hardened and did not receive mercy were prepared for wrath.

turbosixx

That’s complicated. I believe it’s much simpler.

If I understand you correctly, you are dividing things based on what they are called. Something referred to by different names can be the same thing but things that are different cannot be called by the same name or that would create confusion. For example, Jesus and Satan can be referred to by many different names but both cannot be referred to by the same name.

I see grace, the church, the faith and the body of Christ the same way, they can be called by different names and still be the same.

Here Paul uses church and body interchangeably.
Eph. 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body.

Here Paul calls the church the church of God.
1 Cor. 1:2 To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus,

Here Paul says he persecuted the church of God before his conversion. If it’s not the same church as the one in 1 Corinthians 1, then this is a confusing statement.
1 Cor. 15:9 For I am the least of the apostles, and not fit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.

Also, Paul says people were in Christ before him.
Rom. 16:7 Greet Andronicus and Junias, my kinsmen and my fellow prisoners, who are outstanding among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.

What established the church and the body? The same thing, Christ’s death, burial and resurrection.
Eph. 2:16and might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross,
Acts 20:28.. to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.

Paul said he was a minister of the new covenant.
2 Cor. 3:6 who has made us sufficient to be ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit. For the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.
He said communion is blood of the new covenant.
1 Cor. 11: 25 In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me."

It is simpler and makes more sense to me that the church and body were established by Jesus’ sacrifice and on Pentecost 3,000 plus souls were added to the church. The Jews were to hear the gospel first and they did. Then the Gentiles were later grafted in once they heard the same good news, Jesus is savior of us all.

Interplanner

That’s complicated. I believe it’s much simpler.

If I understand you correctly, you are dividing things based on what they are called. Something referred to by different names can be the same thing but things that are different cannot be called by the same name or that would create confusion. For example, Jesus and Satan can be referred to by many different names but both cannot be referred to by the same name.

I see grace, the church, the faith and the body of Christ the same way, they can be called by different names and still be the same.

Here Paul uses church and body interchangeably.
Eph. 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body.

Here Paul calls the church the church of God.
1 Cor. 1:2 To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus,

Here Paul says he persecuted the church of God before his conversion. If it’s not the same church as the one in 1 Corinthians 1, then this is a confusing statement.
1 Cor. 15:9 For I am the least of the apostles, and not fit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.

Also, Paul says people were in Christ before him.
Rom. 16:7 Greet Andronicus and Junias, my kinsmen and my fellow prisoners, who are outstanding among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.

What established the church and the body? The same thing, Christ’s death, burial and resurrection.
Eph. 2:16and might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross,
Acts 20:28.. to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.

Paul said he was a minister of the new covenant.
2 Cor. 3:6 who has made us sufficient to be ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit. For the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.
He said communion is blood of the new covenant.
1 Cor. 11: 25 In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me."

It is simpler and makes more sense to me that the church and body were established by Jesus’ sacrifice and on Pentecost 3,000 plus souls were added to the church. The Jews were to hear the gospel first and they did. Then the Gentiles were later grafted in once they heard the same good news, Jesus is savior of us all.

There's no NC on hold. 2 Cor 3-5.