Idaho Christians try to establish "Christian State"

Jose Fly

Republicans propose declaring Idaho a 'Christian state'

(Reuters) - Members of a county Republican Party in Idaho are to take up a measure on Tuesday evening that would declare the state a Christian one to bolster what the proposal calls the "Judeo-Christian bedrock of the founding of the United States."

The resolution to be voted on by the Kootenai County Republican Central Committee is non-binding, meaning it does not have the effect of laws or rules.

The proposal seeks that Idaho be "formally and specifically declared a Christian state," guided by a Judeo-Christian faith reflected in the U.S. Declaration of Independence where all authority and power is attributed to God, the resolution reads.

The measure argues that the Christian faith is under "strident attack" in the United States, and cites as evidence the absence of Christian traditions and symbols in public institutions such as schools.

The issue has sparked debate within the Republican stronghold of northern Idaho, once known for harboring leaders of the so-called Christian identity or white supremacist movement such as the late Aryan Nations founder Richard Butler.
I guess this makes sense....ISIS has an Islamic State, so we should have a Christian State to balance things out. :up:

Mocking You

Some zealots are going to have a non-binding "feel good" vote. It's misguided and illegal (it violates the 1st amendment). However, if Kootenai County were to vote that in their county Christianity was the official religion of that county, I think they could get away with it.

Jose Fly

Nah, I don't think so, for the same reason county courthouses can't put up Ten Commandment statues.

Mocking You

Nah, I don't think so, for the same reason county courthouses can't put up Ten Commandment statues.

But that is typically one judge or a committee that puts up the Ten Commandments, not voted on and passed in a referendum.

I'd like to correct my previous post. I don't think the county would have the authority to vote Christianity as the official religion, but I think a city or town would have that ability, if it was voted on as a city-wide or town-wide referendum.

Jose Fly

But that is typically one judge or a committee that puts up the Ten Commandments, not voted on and passed in a referendum.
That doesn't matter. In the US, the gov't cannot endorse one religion over others (or religion over no-religion).

I'd like to correct my previous post. I don't think the county would have the authority to vote Christianity as the official religion, but I think a city or town would have that ability, if it was voted on as a city-wide or town-wide referendum.
It's illegal to establish a state religion no matter how it's done.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Christian Domininuism is a long-held branch of Christianity. Like the other conservative parts of the faith, this is just another example of the Shari'a Law of Christianity.

shagster01

Well shoot, every belief is under attack if "under attack" means, "the absence of (insert belief) traditions and symbols in public institutions such as schools."

Jose Fly

Well shoot, every belief is under attack if "under attack" means, "the absence of (insert belief) traditions and symbols in public institutions such as schools."

You're thinking with your head too much. To understand these theocrats, you have to shut that part down and just go with your emotions and sense of tribalism.