I never pray for God's leading

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
I never pray for God's "leading" whatever that means. If there is something I want to do then I just do it provided there is not a specific verse against it.

Let the slings and arrows begin.

marke

I never pray for God's "leading" whatever that means. If there is something I want to do then I just do it provided there is not a specific verse against it.

Let the slings and arrows begin.
I prefer to think God wants us to pray for His leading.

Psalm 5:8
Lead me, O Lord, in thy righteousness because of mine enemies; make thy way straight before my face.

Psalm 25:5
Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.

Psalm 27:11
Teach me thy way, O Lord, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies.

Psalm 43:3
O send out thy light and thy truth: let them lead me; let them bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy tabernacles.

Psalm 61:2
From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

Psalm 139:24
And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

Matthew 6:13
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
I prefer to think God wants us to pray for His leading.

Psalm 5:8
Lead me, O Lord, in thy righteousness because of mine enemies; make thy way straight before my face.

Psalm 25:5
Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.

Psalm 27:11
Teach me thy way, O Lord, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies.

Psalm 43:3
O send out thy light and thy truth: let them lead me; let them bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy tabernacles.

Psalm 61:2
From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

Psalm 139:24
And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

Matthew 6:13
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

All those verses were written before the bible was complete. Today we have the full Word of God.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
What does that mean? Those verses were applicable to Christians before the Bible was completed but not afterward?
Yes. Let's take the example of a Christian car mechanic looking for a new job. I don't think God cares which auto repair shop he submits his application to because there is no verse that would indicate working in that industry would be outside of God's will. Therefore, any shop would be within God's will. The Christian mechanic does not need to try to feel some mystical "leading" from God.

The shepherd cares that a specific sheep is in the pasture. The shepherd does not care which specific tuft of grass that sheep grazes on.

Last edited:

marke

Yes. Let's take the example of a Christian car mechanic looking for a new job. I don't think God cares which auto repair shop he submits his application to because there is no verse that would indicate working in that industry would be outside of God's will. Therefore, any shop would be within God's will. The Christian mechanic does not need to try to feel some mystical "leading" from God.

The shepherd cares that a specific sheep is in the pasture. The shepherd does not care which specific tuft of grass that sheep grazes on.
I don't believe God audibly answers prayers for guidance, but I do believe God wants Christians to pray for wisdom and guidance. I got saved as an 18-year-old kid after my girlfriend dumped me for someone else. I was devastated until the Lord used that to turn me to Jesus for salvation. After I was saved I began praying for a wife of God's choosing, a prayer I continued for 3 years without dating until I met my wife. I believe God answered my prayer and I thank God I prayed and waited instead of charging ahead on my own.

My wife and I have been married 47 years and have been blessed with 8 surviving children and 31 grandchildren. Thank you Lord!

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
I don't believe God audibly answers prayers for guidance, but I do believe God wants Christians to pray for wisdom and guidance.

I pray for wisdom also but what do you mean by guidance? I rely on the bible to keep this sheep in the pasture.

I got saved as an 18-year-old kid after my girlfriend dumped me for someone else. I was devastated until the Lord used that to turn me to Jesus for salvation. After I was saved I began praying for a wife of God's choosing, a prayer I continued for 3 years without dating until I met my wife. I believe God answered my prayer and I thank God I prayed and waited instead of charging ahead on my own.

My wife and I have been married 47 years and have been blessed with 8 surviving children and 31 grandchildren. Thank you Lord!

You went and found her. God did not miraculously drop her out of the sky.

marke

I pray for wisdom also but what do you mean by guidance? I rely on the bible to keep this sheep in the pasture.

You went and found her. God did not miraculously drop her out of the sky.
I am happy to believe that God answered my prayers.

Gagoyote

All those verses were written before the bible was complete. Today we have the full Word of God.
What do you mean by this? Everything in the Bible except the very last word was written before the Bible was complete.

I feel like if Jesus prayed for God's leading, I should do it too. Especially since he said right before it, "pray like this."

That's how I see it anyway.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
What do you mean by this? Everything in the Bible except the very last word was written before the Bible was complete.

I feel like if Jesus prayed for God's leading, I should do it too. Especially since he said right before it, "pray like this."

That's how I see it anyway.
As I explained to marke:

Let's take the example of a Christian car mechanic looking for a new job. I don't think God cares which auto repair shop he submits his application to because there is no verse that would indicate working in that industry would be outside of God's will. Therefore, any shop would be within God's will. The Christian mechanic does not need to try to feel some mystical "leading" from God.

Bradley D

I believe a Christian who studies the Word has a good knowledge of right and wrong. However, there can be times of indecision. To me that is the time for prayer.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
I believe a Christian who studies the Word has a good knowledge of right and wrong. However, there can be times of indecision. To me that is the time for prayer.
Can you cite a specific example?