I hate when people say Abortion is not something i would do BUT...

republicanchick

I hate when people say Abortion is not something i would do BUT.. it's something others should be free to do

free to do?

well, we are ALL free to commit murder. Not one of us would be stopped if we got it into our head tomorrow morning to commit a murder (or 2 or 500) if we kept such plans to ourselves..

When people say this kind of thing they are saying something very illogical

they are saying Abortion is morally wrong (even murder) but only for some people...

that makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?

Obviously, if it is murder, it is WRONG for everyone

___

Sitamun

No they aren't being illogical. They are saying that although they feel one way, they acknowledge that not all people feel like they do. Many also say that given certain cirumstances they don't see abortion as wrong either. My standing on abortion for myself today is different then it was 20 years ago, simply because my life is in a different place now. While I wouldn't have an abortion myself for a "surprise" pregnancy, I wouldn't rule it out in every single case. I'm not saying I would, just that I don't know now how I would feel then. I am also aware that how I feel in certain situations is not how everyone else would feel. They are allowed their points of view as well, and I can not tell them how to feel or tell them what they need to do. If someone asked my opinion I would give it, but only if asked, otherwise it's really none of my business.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My response to someone who says "I personally would not have an abortion BUT" ... is .......................

But what? WHY would you *personally* not have an abortion?

To even speculate on whether or not it is morally permissible reveals that the person KNOWS that which is being aborted is a child.

republicanchick

No they aren't being illogical. They are saying that although they feel one way, they acknowledge that not all people feel like they do. .
sorry, have not read the entire post here... b/c this just stopped me in my tracks..

if we were talking about legalizin marijuana, I would agree that, whereas I don't believe in smoking the stuff... maybe (big word there) others should be able to smoke it (adults, that is). I tend to think not, but I don't get into a big lather over such arguments

But we are speaking of MURDER here...

end of sentence...

__

republicanchick

murdering your neighbor is not something I myself would do

but if YOU want to murder your neighbor, you should be free to do so.

uh... yeh...

whatever

___

Sitamun

sorry, have not read the entire post here... b/c this just stopped me in my tracks..

if we were talking about legalizin marijuana, I would agree that, whereas I don't believe in smoking the stuff... maybe (big word there) others should be able to smoke it (adults, that is). I tend to think not, but I don't get into a big lather over such arguments

But we are speaking of MURDER here...

end of sentence...

__

But that's just it, all people don't see abortion as murder. Right or wrong, that is the state of things. YOU see it as murder, but you have to at least see that others do not view it the same way you do.

Tinark

I hate when people say Abortion is not something i would do BUT.. it's something others should be free to do

free to do?

well, we are ALL free to commit murder. Not one of us would be stopped if we got it into our head tomorrow morning to commit a murder (or 2 or 500) if we kept such plans to ourselves..

When people say this kind of thing they are saying something very illogical

they are saying Abortion is morally wrong (even murder) but only for some people...

that makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?

Obviously, if it is murder, it is WRONG for everyone

___

And if it is not murder, then it may not be wrong for anyone.

Tinark

My response to someone who says "I personally would not have an abortion BUT" ... is .......................

But what? WHY would you *personally* not have an abortion?

To even speculate on whether or not it is morally permissible reveals that the person KNOWS that which is being aborted is a child.

Do you oppose morning after pills that flush out zygotes? If so, how is a zygote a child?

republicanchick

But that's just it, all people don't see abortion as murder. Right or wrong, that is the state of things. YOU see it as murder, but you have to at least see that others do not view it the same way you do.

I couldn't care less what "other people" think about something if what they think is WRONG

and the law should not either

science has proven life beings at ... suprrise, surprise, the beginning

conception

you are prejudiced against the unborn... age discrimination..

elitist

___

Tinark

And if it is not murder to take Tinark's life, then it may not be wrong for anyone

Except there is widespread agreement among society that a human capable of consciousness is a person and ending that life is murder. There are no good reasons to think otherwise.

republicanchick

Except there is widespread agreement among society that a human capable of consciousness is a person and ending that life is murder. There are no good reasons to think otherwise.

again, science has proven life begins at the beginning

Gee... imagine that

too bad you want an out if you "mistakenly" get someone pregnant

selfish

Tinark

again, science has proven life begins at the beginning

Gee... imagine that

too bad you want an out if you "mistakenly" get someone pregnant

selfish

My liver cells are alive. My heart cells are alive. Does that make drinking a beer, which kills some of my liver cells, murder?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I would never kill Jews but if Nazis do it that ok and I won't judge. Same thing.

Tinark

in what way was Tinark once a zygote?

There was a zygote that developed into me. But "I" didn't exist when the zygote existed. What I am is a conscious being capable of thought and other conscious experience. None of that existed when the zygote that would later develop into me existed.

in what way are the Jews human?

As I've already stated, they are conscious beings capable of suffering and capable of having thoughts and dreams. Capable of planning a future and capable of forming bonds with other people, among other things.

yeh, we've heard this kind of thing before, haven't we?

You are the one setting the dangerous precedent, cheapening personhood to nothing more than the properties a zygote has. You seem to be saying there is nothing special about consciousness, about ability to think, ability to suffer, ability to dream, ability to form bonds. Nope, none of that gives a person value.

The only thing giving a person value is that they have DNA in a specific arrangement.