ECT I Come Quickly

Jerry Shugart

The Lord Jesus said the following from heaven:

"And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be" (Rev.22:12).​

What "coming" was He referring to and did He come quickly?

MennoSota

"And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be" (Rev.22:12).​

Look up "The day of the Lord." Perhaps read the prophet Joel and consider.

Jerry Shugart

Look up "The day of the Lord." Perhaps read the prophet Joel and consider.

So you think that the Lord Jesus was referring to this event?:

"Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee. For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city. Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle. And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east"
(Zech.14:1-4).​

And since He said that He will come "quickly" do you think that the events of Zechariah 14:1-4 have already happened? If not why not?

Thanks!

MennoSota

So you think that the Lord Jesus was referring to this event?:

"Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee. For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city. Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle. And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east"
(Zech.14:1-4).​

And since He said that He will come "quickly" do you think that the events of Zechariah 14:1-4 have already happened? If not why not?

Thanks!
The Day of the Lord is not a one time thing. There has been a Day of the Lord in the past (ie 70CE and the destruction of Jerusalem), but there is also a future Day of the Lord. Both Zechariah and Joel point to that future day.

Jerry Shugart

He is the Sovereign King. He is not obligated to answer your question. But feel free to ask God that question. I'm curious if He'll answer you.

I was asking your opinion.

In fact, I would say that the Lord Jesus' words about coming quickly can only be referring to His appearance when the saints will be caught up to meet Him in the air because only that appearance is described as being "imminent."

MennoSota

I was asking your opinion.

In fact, I would say that the Lord Jesus' words about coming quickly can only be referring to His appearance when the saints will be caught up to meet Him in the air because only that appearance is described as being "imminent."
Jesus return will happen when the last saint is saved. Then those who are alive at that time will meet Jesus and His host in the air. Then the Day of the Lord will fall upon all the nations of the world.

Jerry Shugart

Jesus return will happen when the last saint is saved. Then those who are alive at that time will meet Jesus and His host in the air. Then the Day of the Lord will fall upon all the nations of the world.

So are you saying that the words of the Lord Jesus when He said "I come quickly" were referring to His coming when He will catch up the living saints?

Jerry Shugart

I'm saying the gathering of His saints and the Day of the Lord happen at the same time.

So are the ones "taken" in the following passage referring to those who will be caught up?:

"But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left. Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left" (Mt.24:37-41).​

MennoSota

So are the ones "taken" in the following passage referring to those who will be caught up?:

"But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left. Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left" (Mt.24:37-41).​

What do the verses previous to your quotation say?
Verse 31: And He will send out His angels with a loud trumpet call and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
Read the continuation of this event in Matthew 25 as Jesus speaks more about the coming Day of the Lord.

Jerry Shugart

What do the verses previous to your quotation say?
Verse 31: And He will send out His angels with a loud trumpet call and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
Read the continuation of this event in Matthew 25 as Jesus speaks more about the coming Day of the Lord.

Yes, all the believers upon the earth will be gathered together..

The believers will remain where they are at that coming of the Lord and then they will be gathered together.

"But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left. Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left"
(Mt.24:37-41).​

genuineoriginal

So the Lord Jesus said "I come quickly" but He hasn't come yet?

Why?
Jesus is referring to how rapidly He will arrive during the parousia.
He is not saying that the parousia would happen a short time after His ascension.

genuineoriginal

The Day of the Lord is not a one time thing. There has been a Day of the Lord in the past (ie 70CE and the destruction of Jerusalem), but there is also a future Day of the Lord. Both Zechariah and Joel point to that future day.
Zechariah's Day of the Lord is still future.
Joel's Day of the Lord is now long past (66-73 CE).

genuineoriginal

Where do you place the events of Zechariah 14:1-4 on the timeline presented by the Lord Jesus at Matthew 24?
These happen at the same time:

Matthew 24:29
29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

Revelation 6:12-14
12 And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;
13 And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.
14 And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.​

Zechariah 14:2
2 For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city.

Revelation 16:16-17
16 And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.
17 And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air; and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, It is done.​

Matthew 24:30
30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

Zechariah 14:3-4
3 Then shall the Lord go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle.
4 And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south.

Revelation 19:11-15
11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.
13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.
14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.
15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.​

genuineoriginal

When did the following happen?:

"The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible day of the LORD come" (Joel 2:31).​
Was Peter right or was Peter wrong?

Acts 2:14-21
14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:
15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.
16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:
19 And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:
20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and notable day of the Lord come:
21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.​