How many Muslims do you personally know?

Morpheus

A lot of the people on here are against many things, such as same-sex marriage while there are less fundamental Christians who don't oppose it. The vast majority of Christians on here are fundamentalists and they are opposed to non-traditional values just as fundamental Muslims are. I'm only pointing out the similarities in moral compass towards some issues in regards to people who have an orthodox understanding of their particular holy text.

Fundamentalist and orthodox do not equal right. We could easily say that in Christ's time the Pharisees were considered the fundamentalist or orthodox Jews. Yet the NT shows that the Pharisees, because of their narrow rigid interpretation of the scriptures, were the blind guides. Strict adherence to rules and laws doesn't fulfill our mission. Allowing the Spirit to show us how the scriptures all work together is the only way to gain understanding what God wants of us. So no, we don't just read John 3:16, but we don't just pick out what fits our predetermined outcome and disregard anything that is inconvenient.

Quincy

Fundamentalist and orthodox do not equal right. We could easily say that in Christ's time the Pharisees were considered the fundamentalist or orthodox Jews. Yet the NT shows that the Pharisees, because of their narrow rigid interpretation of the scriptures, were the blind guides. Strict adherence to rules and laws doesn't fulfill our mission. Allowing the Spirit to show us how the scriptures all work together is the only way to gain understanding what God wants of us. So no, we don't just read John 3:16, but we don't just pick out what fits our predetermined outcome and disregard anything that is inconvenient.

I agree that there are moderate Christians who are knowledgeable in regards to the bible, but there are also people who claim to be Christian who don't have that knowledge, many having never read the entire Holy Bible. Many of the westernized Muslims I know haven't read the Quran, also. What I'm saying is, the less traditional indoctrination someone has, whatever religion, the less hostile they tend to be towards others who hold different beliefs and values, from my experience.

Morpheus

I agree that there are moderate Christians who are knowledgeable in regards to the bible, but there are also people who claim to be Christian who don't have that knowledge, many having never read the entire Holy Bible. Many of the westernized Muslims I know haven't read the Quran, also. What I'm saying is, the less traditional indoctrination someone has, whatever religion, the less hostile they tend to be towards others who hold different beliefs and values, from my experience.

I have to agree, but primarily because of the key word "indoctrination". Each sect or denomination has its own interpretation of what their holy books say; that interpretation is their doctrine. Then they try to embed their particular doctrine into the minds of their children and members, emphasizing unquestioning loyalty to that particular doctrine, or in•doctrination. The sentiment is understandable, but wrong because it is an attempt to overrule free will. It is easy for someone to see how indoctrination is wrong when they view another religion, or even a different denomination that disagrees with their own because they see errors in doctrine; but they fail to recognize that their own doctrine is just as likely to have flaws. It leads to a hard-line position where anyone who disagrees with you falls short.

That being said, it is rarely dangerous to others until some sect or faction becomes so inflexible and hard-line that they believe that anyone who disagrees with their specific twisted doctrine is inherently evil, deserving of death, possibly even if by their own hand.

What I find ironic is typically the people that rant and generalize about some other religion preaching violence, they tend to call for the extermination of people of that religion. The hate-filled and vicious of this world are always trying to justify their hatred and viciousness. What is worse is when they assert that God tells them it is so. Then they are trying to put the blood on God's hands instead of their own.

Matthew 5:38-48

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.’ 39 But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. 40 If anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, let him have your [an]coat also. 41 Whoever forces you to go one mile, go with him two. 42 Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you.

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 If you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? 48 Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
:think:
A lot of the people on here are against many things, such as same-sex marriage while there are less fundamental Christians who don't oppose it. The vast majority of Christians on here are fundamentalists and they are opposed to non-traditional values just as fundamental Muslims are. I'm only pointing out the similarities in moral compass towards some issues in regards to people who have an orthodox understanding of their particular holy text.

yeah, i guess you're right, for the most part. -

rainee

And speaking of the ignorant others, I'm pretty much one but I know people who know them. :D

What I was told was that in years past places like New York City had many of the peoples from the Middle East often living in the same areas, the same neighborhoods. There must have been a comfort in the familiar cultures and often shared food (yum.)

Jump forward to when I was attending a university (for only a short time)
I met a young woman (I was one too) from Iran and one from Bangladesh.
They were hanging out together and I got to know them in the cafeteria.
What religion were they? I have no idea. What religion was I? They didn't know. It was mostly a cultural experience for us.
They owned and wore very fine gold necklaces and bracelets, for instance, and the young lady from Bangladesh explained back in her homeland no one would steal such things. Both of them wore western clothing just like I did.
So this was before the Shaw of Iran was replaced.
We knew a guy who was American there who tried to tell us all we shouldn't wear sandals because it would make men lust by seeing our feet. He was like Pentecostal or something.
Funny - he was like a harbinger of the wave of religious fervor that would sweep across the world practically.

But time has passed and things have happened.
I do not doubt pressures have changed everything.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Each sect or denomination has its own interpretation of what their holy books say; that interpretation is their doctrine.

No. Stop making excuses for evil. Turn the other cheek means turn the other cheek. Kill the infidel means kill the infidel.

shagster01

Yes, many.
And I found that gatherings with them were enjoyable until the topic of loyalty to their adopted country America came up.
Then, one man posed the question how do you expect a Muslim man serving in the American military to take up arms against Muslims in another country?
I replied, German American's took up arms against Germany in both world wars. They were Americans first.
The topic was dropped and we turned to other things.

I think a more proper comparison would be if you think a Christian American would be fine killing a Christian Russian. You were comparing nationality ti religion.

Lon

No story. I've already said what I wanted to. (post #10 in this thread)

Chair
I think that's noble. At the same time, it worries me that a random Muslim here on TOL says there is nothing wrong in the Quran with killing (Christians, but that's incidental). I've met nice people of all faiths, this isn't the issue, but I can see why you'd start this thread.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
What is the point?
I may have known secular persons from Iran in past time, yet never heard any Muslim rhetoric, I have read about it.