HOW MANY HERE ON TOL HAVE READ THE ENTIRE BIBLE COVER TO COVER?

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Disrespect of others seems to please you. Shows who you are inside.

bcca1554564ea739e245cf8ab196aa50.jpg

PureX

I'm just curious as to how many posters on TOL have
read the entire Bible word for word, name for name,
and cover to cover?

There's a myriad of posters here that act like Bible
scholars however, will they admit to reading God's
written word in its entirety? I mean from cover to
cover.
Reading those words and understanding them are two different things. I don't care who's read "all the words" so much as I care who actually understood what they were reading. And the understanding they have come to as a result.

Wick Stick

Yes, I read the KJV cover to cover the first time when I was 11.

Since then, I have found that it makes more sense to study one book at a time in depth, rather than just 'reading through.' I've studied most of the 66 books in the Protestant canon. The ones I haven't got to yet - Micah, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, and 2 Peter.

I think I've read all the books in the Deuterocanon, but I haven't studied any of them in depth.

I've read the Epistle of Barnabas and Paul's gospel to the Laodiceans. Both deserved canonization, IMO.

I've read 1Enoch and studied 2/5 of it more closely, along with the Prayer of Manasseh. Both books probably deserve a place in the Deuterocanon, though they're considered Pseudepigrapha.

What else? the Didache, the Acts of the Apostles, the Acts of Peter and Paul, Secret Mark, the 7 major Ignatian epistles, 1 Clement, the Apocryphon of James, Hermas, fragments of Papias, Dialogue with Trypho, Against Heresies, and parts of a bunch of other writings by Martyr. Celestial Hierarchy. If it's in Ante-Nicene Fathers, I've probably read it.

I've also read a bunch of gnostic stuff, a little bit of the hermetics, the major works of Classical Greek Philosophy, and lot of ancient near eastern literature contemporary to the Bible, especially stuff that deals with creation, such as the Enuma Elish, Illuyanka Encyclical, and Hesiod's Theogony.

Quite a few reports and scholarly papers on archaeological digs, as well.

Just kept reading til it made sense.

Eric h

My favourite version is the NIV, I have read it a number of times and generally take a couple of years to complete it.

I also read the extra Catholic Books of the Bible, and find them an interesting addition.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I'm just curious as to how many posters on TOL have
read the entire Bible word for word, name for name,
and cover to cover?

There's a myriad of posters here that act like Bible
scholars however, will they admit to reading God's
written word in its entirety? I mean from cover to
cover.

I have, but I'm ashamed to say I only completed it earlier this year. Prior to that I had read many parts of the bibles many times but there were certain sections that I had never completed, particularly some of the OT prophets. Those are difficult for me.

I recently finished a translation that attempts to put the bible in Chronological order which was interesting.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
some of the monks did not take any reading material into the desert

they just talk to God

like meditation

let God take over your mind

KingdomRose

I have, but I'm ashamed to say I only completed it earlier this year. Prior to that I had read many parts of the bibles many times but there were certain sections that I had never completed, particularly some of the OT prophets. Those are difficult for me.

I recently finished a translation that attempts to put the bible in Chronological order which was interesting.

Isaiah and Jeremiah, I think, are pretty easy to understand. There are some great things in those books. I love Isaiah! There's quite a bit of prophecy about the coming paradise on Earth.

www.jw.org