How important is space travel to mankind?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
With all the things going on in the world how important is/should space travel be to humanity?
Space travel itself? Maybe not so important given the amounts of time required to travel anyplace given our current technology. And that's the key, current technology. Many of the things we use in day to day life, like memory foam mattresses, came out of the space program. I think the space program stirs our imagination and brings out the best in people. I think a space program is important for that reason.

JosephR

well...stars will eventually die,,the real challenge is we as a species make it past self destruction vs star destruction.. the first is the bigger threat..

Dr Kaku call this lvl 1 civilization.. and can be found very easily on you tube..

The Berean

Space travel itself? Maybe not so important given the amounts of time required to travel anyplace given our current technology. And that's the key, current technology. Many of the things we use in day to day life, like memory foam mattresses, came out of the space program. I think the space program stirs our imagination and brings out the best in people. I think a space program is important for that reason.

There are several companies working on mining asteroids for raw materials. :banana:

Planetary Resources, Inc.

Deep Space Industries