homosexual thread

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Same-sex attraction is a mental disorder. I posted the following a while back in another thread:

Same sex attraction is a disorder according to the American Psychological Association (APA) for most of its history, until recently.

For some folks though, this disorder is now the "non-disorder formerly known as disorder." It was a disorder in the DSM I and II published by the APA. But in the last publication, DSM IV, it was removed as a disorder. Why?

Protests by gay rights activists against the APA began in 1970 when the organization held its convention in San Francisco. The activists disrupted the conference by interrupting speakers and shouting down and ridiculing psychiatrists who viewed homosexuality as a mental disorder. In 1971, gay rights activist Frank Kameny worked with the Gay Liberation Front collective to demonstrate against the APA's convention. At the 1971 conference, Kameny grabbed the microphone and yelled, "Psychiatry is the enemy incarnate. Psychiatry has waged a relentless war of extermination against us. You may take this as a declaration of war against you." To put is bluntly, the American Psychological Association buckled and caved to protesters, and therefore have no legitimacy now.

So the APA can be, and is, wrong. The current APA thinks that they were "wrong back then," and "right now." But certainly, the opposite can be true, that is was right back then and wrong now. I think that they were right before and wrong now because they now fear liberal retaliation and political correctness that did not exist before.

Let me add one other thing to that post: The APA is actually a lobbying group, and less than half the psychiatrists in America belong to it. They lobby on Capitol Hill and therefore engage in political correctness to garner support. Their removal of homosexuality from the list of disorders was purely a political move, and had no basis in science

Last edited by a moderator:

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Same-sex attraction is a mental disorder. I posted the following a while back in another thread:

Same sex attraction is a disorder according to the American Psychological Association (APA) for most of its history, until recently.

For some folks though, this disorder is now the "non-disorder formerly known as disorder." It was a disorder in the DSM I and II published by the APA. But in the last publication, DSM IV, it was removed as a disorder. Why?

Protests by gay rights activists against the APA began in 1970 when the organization held its convention in San Francisco. The activists disrupted the conference by interrupting speakers and shouting down and ridiculing psychiatrists who viewed homosexuality as a mental disorder. In 1971, gay rights activist Frank Kameny worked with the Gay Liberation Front collective to demonstrate against the APA's convention. At the 1971 conference, Kameny grabbed the microphone and yelled, "Psychiatry is the enemy incarnate. Psychiatry has waged a relentless war of extermination against us. You may take this as a declaration of war against you." To put is bluntly, the American Psychological Association buckled and caved to protesters, and therefore have no legitimacy now.

So the APA can be, and is, wrong. The current APA thinks that they were "wrong back then," and "right now." But certainly, the opposite can be true, that is was right back then and wrong now. I think that they were right before and wrong now because they now fear liberal retaliation and political correctness that did not exist before.

Let me add one other thing to that post: The APA is actually a lobbying group, and less than half the psychiatrists in America belong to it. They lobby on Capitol Hill and therefore engage in political correctness to garner support. Their removal of homosexuality from the list of disorders was purely a political move, and had no basis in science

I was accused of bigotry for the above post. This is what liberals do: When they cannot give a good argument, they try to marginalize the the person they disagree with by labeling so as to try delegitimize them. There is nothing bigoted in that post. It is factual.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
looking at the data.......

looking at the data.......

I was accused of bigotry for the above post. This is what liberals do: When they cannot give a good argument, they try to marginalize the the person they disagree with by labeling so as to try delegitimize them. There is nothing bigoted in that post. It is factual.

Well,....my commentary on various interpretations and alternatives of what the bible teaches about homosexuality is shared in my last few posts here (this page), which link to other threads on the subject and important research-articles. See previous, and main portal page here.

So far I dont see your post as an example of 'bigotry' in the typical sense (unless you are coming with certain unproven assumptions or biases), considering political events around the APA's change of mind on homosexuality being a 'disorder', but that does not mean there has not been better more comprehensive understanding/knowledge of 'homosexuality', which might have made the APA reconsider their 'description' of homosexuality anyways (it was bound to happen sooner or later, unless proof for it being a 'disorder' or 'illness' can be shown).

We grant that 'politics' has its place in influencing certain sectors of society, - we've seen this in the history of religious institutes too (with their dogma, mythology and creed).

It still lies in the lap of those who believe homosexuality is some kind of 'mental illness' or 'disorder' to prove such, and to prove the APA's and many other major psychiatric organizations stand on homosexuality are unsubstantiated.

Some crossfire articles pertinent here are -

* Homosexuality: The Mental Illness That Went Away

* Interview with Dr. Robert Spitzer Who Discusses Retracting His Infamous ‘Ex-Gay’ Study

Its a more complex issue than supposed, which bears proper research and enlightenment, especially concerning proper 'translation'(interpretation) issues of old tribal religious writings and how we define and understand homosexuality today.

pj

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned

Logan

I think that they were right before and wrong now because they now fear liberal retaliation and political correctness that did not exist before.

Good point.

Maybe we should look elsewhere for the answers if the American APA has been tainted. Maybe check what the organisations in countries other than the US say about the matter. Have you looked into that?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
You wanted it addressed? then look at the data (or lack thereof)

You wanted it addressed? then look at the data (or lack thereof)

Good point.

Maybe we should look elsewhere for the answers if the American APA has been tainted. Maybe check what the organisations in countries other than the US say about the matter. Have you looked into that?

Hi Logan,

My previous post(s) and pertinent links still stand (see for yourself), yet to be addressed by CC (they apparently went over his head). That political influence by pro-gay activists on the decisions in the 70's on homosexuality by psychologists is 'obvious', but that does not prove the decision to drop it from the list of pathologies did not have other supports, especially with new and current knowledge of homosexuality. The pivotal issue is that there is no proof that homosexuality is a pathological condition, or an 'illness/disorder',...so that's an issue of debate here. (we can debate the 'criteria' to establish anything as a 'disorder',...another chapter).

Psychology Associations Challenge Mental Disorder Concept of Homosexuality

Homosexuality and Psychology (historical issues & treatment) is a subject in and of itself, perhaps worthy of its own thread (dogmatic or bigotrous pot-shots or ignorance cannot properly address the matter).

As I shared earlier to CC,...I didn't see his statement as 'bigotry', unless it was qualified by a certain pre-conception or conclusion. His claim that dropping it from the list has no support from 'science' remains to be proven, since it is that very reason that the APA and later the WHO (Word Health Organization) officially dropped it as a 'mental disorder' in 1990. - again pointing to the increasing data, clinical statistics and understanding of the complexity and normalcy of 'sexual orientation variations' among humans.

Homosexuality and Psychology (wiki)

pj

Last edited: