Homeschooler, 13, wins 4 1/2-hour spelling bee

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
From AZcentral.com:

BILLINGS, Mont. - After 41 rounds and 4½ hours - not to mention spelling words like galenical and mumpsimus - Anna Rose Wright won a shot to go to the nation's most prestigious spelling bee.

and

"I have never seen a bee go this long," said judge Lynn Schwanke, a previous state bee director for more than 20 years. "It was really remarkable."

and

And though Anna Rose looked composed onstage Saturday during the state final, she said her "palms were sweating, especially toward the end, and my throat was dry."

After it was over, though, she felt relaxed. "I think I'll sleep really well tonight," she said.

I was in those things when I was really young. In second grade, I came in second place in the state of Washington. I've never heard of one going 41 rounds before.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
I bet if it wasn't for homeschoolers, spelling bees would only last half an hour.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Lucky said:
I bet if it wasn't for homeschoolers, spelling bees would only last half an hour.

I remember my mom looking at her watch the whole time I was in the spelling bee. :chuckle: I'm guessing that mine took too long for her. I don't remember how long it was though.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
In second grade I won a giant "Krackle" candy bar for winning the school spelling bee.

Me winning a spelling bee should prove beyond any doubt that public school kids are not getting a good education. :hammer:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I lost a spelling bee once because I thought the judges couldn't hear me, and asked to do it again. They let me, and I misspelled the word that time. They told me I had gotten it right the first time, though.:doh:

The word was "argument."