History books - Recommendations

Jeep

Hello,

I am looking for some GOOD recommendations on history books.

Particularly, Byzantine, Roman Empire, and History AD, Christian/Religion history.

I am unfamiliar with history as a whole. I'm looking for in-depth history books, My search on Amazon is overwhelming. A lot of the reviews say "not as in depth, but great overview".

One book I'm considering is Against Heresies by Irenaeus. I would also be interested in Isaac Newton's Observations on the Prophecies, but that goes for $145 on Amazon and is not available at the library :)

Thanks!:wave:

john w

Hall of Fame
MV5BNzU4OTU2MDAxM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzI4MjQ0MQ@@._V1._CR25,2,301,448_SX214_AL_.jpg

Jeep

Thank you all! It gave me a place to start. "As the Roman's Did" seems like a place to start, the reviews state that it is required reading for Roman history courses. One of the reviews, I think "Jesus Through the Centuries" states that you need a European history back round...which I lack. It seems some books that I read, and even some posts I lurk on reference the Roman Empire or Byzantine Empire.

I think my best bet would be to start at the library, and just start reading!

Man, I wish I paid attention in school!!!!

Jeep

jeep,,,,just google it!,,everything your asking about is on the internet free.

Yes, I know, but I want a book with paper pages. Have you ever done a search on Amazon-Books for "the Roman Empire"? There are 100 pages of results, it's pretty overwhelming. I just though I'd ask a community of like-minded people if they have a favorite they could recommend.

theophilus

Morning Jeep!

(I have a '92 Wrangler.)

"As the Romans Did" is not for the squeamish. I hope you get it and I think you may enjoy it.

And there are MANY .pdf's on the web for history buffs.

Good luck with your education.

:)

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Hello,

I am looking for some GOOD recommendations on history books.

Particularly, Byzantine,

anything on constantinople would be good

Wells, Colin "Sailing from Byzantium" Delacorte Press

Harris, Jonathan "Constantinople: Capital of Byzantium" Hambledon Continuum

Norwich, John ”Byzantium - The Early Centuries” Alfred A. Knopf
Norwich, John “Byzantium - A Short History of - Alfred A. Knopf

Interplanner

For 1st century NT background history, Michael Grant.

For background on Nazi philosophy, Mark Musser's NAZI OAKS. Very deep.

Philip Schaaf's history of the Christian Church is more theologically in tune than Lattourrette's but KL has more complete detail.

Reformation: D'Aubigne.

Modern liberal Christianity: Schaeffer's THE CHURCH AT THE END OF THE TWENTIETH CENTURY