Hi

Flower

I am female, in my 60s and agnostic. I can't be sure a god doesn't exist somewhere, but don't think the deity portrayed in the Bible is remotely credible and is therefore a purely a human construct.

Samstarrett

Hello, Flower.

Allow me to introduce myself. Sam Starrett, reactionary in residence, Christian apologist, and Universalist. It's nice to meet you.

genuineoriginal

I am female, in my 60s and agnostic. I can't be sure a god doesn't exist somewhere, but don't think the deity portrayed in the Bible is remotely credible and is therefore a purely a human construct.

Hi, I see you have posted a bit already.
I did want to let you know about one of the rules here that you may have missed:
The new rules for the Exclusively Christian forum - January 13th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Said in short...
This particular forum will be dedicated to debating biblical issues without debating the legitimacy of the Bible itself.​

Flower

Krsto

Hello, Flower.

Allow me to introduce myself. Sam Starrett, reactionary in residence, Christian apologist, and Universalist. It's nice to meet you.

You forgot to mention Irish - I think that's important :p

Hi Flower :wave: - nice to have chatted a little bit already. Your name tells me you are too nice to suffer the loonacy here on TOL - unless you are attached to a cactus.

Samstarrett

You forgot to mention Irish - I think that's important :p

Point taken. :) I'm also Irish(and Italian), with a sprinkle of Scottish, English, and(according to my grandfather's latest version) Blackfoot, but I rather doubt that last one myself.

Krsto

Point taken. :) I'm also Irish(and Italian), with a sprinkle of Scottish, English, and(according to my grandfather's latest version) Blackfoot, but I rather doubt that last one myself.

Oh wow, you are really messed up. I am also Irish, Scottish (Gordon Clan), English (1/4 each) and German (1/8) but despite those problems I have one redeeming trait in that I'm 1/8 French and as you know the French are superior people.

So there.

Samstarrett

Oh wow, you are really messed up. I am also Irish, Scottish (Gordon Clan), English (1/4 each) and German (1/8) but despite those problems I have one redeeming trait in that I'm 1/8 French and as you know the French are superior people.

So there.

Er...what? Superior to whom? Eskimos?

Gsusis

Hi flower

Hi flower

We can't know God. If any man/woman comes to the father they must BELIEVE that He is and that He is a rewarded of them that diligently seek Him" You are diligently NOT seeking Him, try believing, asking, and diligently seeking Him. First though there has to be a little bit of room in your heart for the possibility of God. Just look at a flower, how could that have been by chance. I hitchhiked across Canada for three years when I was 18-21. I started reading the Bible and met God. I crossed the country 5 times in those 3 hrs. I ran into and hiked a few miles with one fellow that said he wasn't quite sure but if there was a God he would find Him (we don't find God, He finds us, we do have to reciprocate the search inorder to make the connection though). I was childish enough in my faith to believe that I simply could ask and God would answer, so I told this fellow that God was going to send a red truck up the road and pick us up, that this was God sticking out His hand and introducing Himself.
What do you think happened? I think this young man first had to be open to the possibility, and also not going to be too quick to explain it away (God knows our heart). Most importantly he needed to be as a little child - daddy knows everything and whatever he says is the truth. Good thing we are talking about God because He actually does know everything and we won't go astray by believing it. Have you read His word? His Love letters.
A red truck did actually come up the road and pick us up. I told him when we got out I didn't want to talk about it because we would just take away from a truly awesome experience. We met God, but only because we were childish (maybe you could say not intelligent enough) childish enough to believe that there was a God and that He would actually take the time to answer one of His children's request. God desires it this way to confound the wise/proud, no one can be so wise that they don't need God so why let that be a prerequisite for "knowing" God. Everything is just fluff, our only chance to have life is if we have God so don't waste it trying to have knowledge - have God and then all these things will be added unto you - knowledge included.
Gsusis

Krsto

We can't know God. If any man/woman comes to the father they must BELIEVE that He is and that He is a rewarded of them that diligently seek Him" You are diligently NOT seeking Him, try believing, asking, and diligently seeking Him. First though there has to be a little bit of room in your heart for the possibility of God. Just look at a flower, how could that have been by chance. I hitchhiked across Canada for three years when I was 18-21. I started reading the Bible and met God. I crossed the country 5 times in those 3 hrs. I ran into and hiked a few miles with one fellow that said he wasn't quite sure but if there was a God he would find Him (we don't find God, He finds us, we do have to reciprocate the search inorder to make the connection though). I was childish enough in my faith to believe that I simply could ask and God would answer, so I told this fellow that God was going to send a red truck up the road and pick us up, that this was God sticking out His hand and introducing Himself.
What do you think happened? I think this young man first had to be open to the possibility, and also not going to be too quick to explain it away (God knows our heart). Most importantly he needed to be as a little child - daddy knows everything and whatever he says is the truth. Good thing we are talking about God because He actually does know everything and we won't go astray by believing it. Have you read His word? His Love letters.
A red truck did actually come up the road and pick us up. I told him when we got out I didn't want to talk about it because we would just take away from a truly awesome experience. We met God, but only because we were childish (maybe you could say not intelligent enough) childish enough to believe that there was a God and that He would actually take the time to answer one of His children's request. God desires it this way to confound the wise/proud, no one can be so wise that they don't need God so why let that be a prerequisite for "knowing" God. Everything is just fluff, our only chance to have life is if we have God so don't waste it trying to have knowledge - have God and then all these things will be added unto you - knowledge included.
Gsusis

Reminds me of a time at the U when one night I really felt I needed to go talk to a friend about the Lord but didn't know exactly where he lived though I did know the block he was on because he pointed it out while we were walking to my apartment one day. So I asked the Lord to show me where he lived, since it was Him giving me this strong desire to talk to him, and I started walking down his block letting my eyes follow the sidewalk to each front porch of each house I passed until with one of them He let me know it was the right one so I knocked on the door and he answered and I don't recall what happened after that because that was ancient history.

Krsto

Maybe that's how it's spelled in French...:eek:

I dunno. I didn't say I spoke French. I figured it's good enuf just to be 1/8 French.

I do know the French are superior to Mexicans, btw. Just compare a chocolate eclare to a bean burrito and you will have to agree.

Krsto

I am a non-believer who enjoys challenging Biblical literalists.

Hi xax1950 (that's a real hard name to uh, pronounce) - I'm an Evangelical Christian who enjoys challenging biblical literalists. You and I are in good company because Jesus was fond of throwing out things for the literalists to be challenged by. And then there's John - OMG - the guy can't hardly go a whole sentence in Revelation without throwing out a symbol or two. I think he's in heaven having a good ol' time watching all the suckers who buy into Hal Lindsay's The Late Great Planet Earth baloney.

Maybe we'll make a good team. Welcome to TOL, by the way.

Samstarrett

I dunno. I didn't say I spoke French. I figured it's good enuf just to be 1/8 French.

I do know the French are superior to Mexicans, btw. Just compare a chocolate eclare to a bean burrito and you will have to agree.

Sure, but I'm no Mexican. Compare a chocolate eclair to tiramisù and I think you'll find some more competition.